Finger Struming Help

siesta171

Reaction score
Beginner having a problem getting clear sound finger strumming, not only on my uke but a friends as well. Lovely sound with a pick. Any style suggestions? or should I blame my fingers and just use a pick?

TIA

I would personally persevere - do you have a bit of length (and strength) on your fingernails as that will give a more pick like sound?

Its really about practice though, and getting your point of impact right. If the sound isnt clear, it sounds like you may be hitting the strings with the fleshy part of your fingers, not the nail, or are strumming to deep ( you just want the nail to catch the strings)

A uke strummed with a finger is, generally, not going to be as sharp and bright and loud as a uke strummed with a pick. It's going to be more mellow and warm and (for lack of a better word) "traditional".

So if you're used to what your uke sounds like when you use a pick, and are expecting the same sound with your finger, well... that ain't gonna happen.

Now, if it's not so much a matter of tone and more a matter of you not hitting the strings cleanly, then a bit of practice will clear things up in no time. (Be sure to strum with your fingers over the 12th fret or so, roughly speaking. If you're coming from a guitar mindset, you might be used to strumming over the sound hole.)

JJ

I would personally persevere - do you have a bit of length (and strength) on your fingernails as that will give a more pick like sound?

Its really about practice though, and getting your point of impact right. If the sound isnt clear, it sounds like you may be hitting the strings with the fleshy part of your fingers, not the nail, or are strumming to deep ( you just want the nail to catch the strings)

While what Paul says works for him, and I respect his experiences, I find that I ONLY use the fleshy park of my fingers, and the only time the nails hit the strings is unintentionally. Yet both my Kala and Cordoba tenors have a wonderful, bright "ringing" sound. I've also notice that when I pluck the strings, I can get a clear harp-like sound.

I will allow that I may just be lucky, or the only person this happens to, or perhaps I've just got phenomenal setups on my ukes. Even the 50-60 year old harmony soprano is sharp and bright and clear. And that one, to the best of my knowledge, has never been set up.

Maybe I've got decent callouses on my right hand fingers as well?

-Kurt

Interesting to see the different viewpoints...

Thanks all for your replies. Am building up callouses as I would rather not use a pick.

Siesta171

I have to agree with Paul, after 7 years of playing steel string guitars I've developed some rather serious callouses on my finger pads.. I used to refuse to grow my nails out when playing guitar because I had a bad problem with biting them lol. When I picked up the ukulele I decided to try letting them grow and I just can't say enough about the importance of fingernail length when strumming, one of the most important things to consider when discussing tone and projection. I allow my nails to grow just a short distance past the flesh of my fingertips.. enough to allow for clear tone. Be sure to file and NEVER clip, as this can cause stress on the nails and make them more prone to breakage. Although this has what worked for me, it's really all about preference.. as ksiegel mentioned, the flesh-only technique works great for his playing. However, if you're looking for that pick-like tone (but less harsh) then you really should consider growing your nails out. Sorry for the long post! Just my opinion, looking forward to hearing what anyone else has to say.

Top Bottom