WTB: Six-string tenor uke

ichadwick

Reaction score
Well, failing to get a tenor resonator uke, I'm keen on getting a six-string uke, something with a solid wood top. I've never played a six-string, but I think it would add some fun, as well as a challenge, to learning and playing...

Anyone got one they want to part with?

I don't have a 6 string, but I do have an 8 string tenor that's looking for a new home.

It's an all solid mahogany and sitka spruce Mele 8 string Tenor Ukulele with Cutaway in excellent condition. Ebony fretboard, bridge, and peghead overlay. Ebony binding on top and back with rope purfling on the sides. Approximately 17" scale, with 14 frets to the body and 19 frets total. Pearl position markers at 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, and 14th frets. High quality geared tuners. Bone nut and saddle. Satin finish. A very handsome instrument.

Very cool and versatile intrument which sounds beautiful tuned to GCEA or EAC#F#. The paired strings give it a very full and lush sound. The G and C paried strings are tuned in ocatves, and the A and E strings are tuned in unison. However the gauges of paired E strings are different, so even though they are tuned exactly the same, they have a slightly different sound/overtones. The same is true of the paired A strings. This adds to that lush tone the uke has.

You can also play this as a 4-string instrument - the 4 unstrung tuners do not cause any buzzing or problems.

Nice sustain, resonance, and volume.

Currently strung with 8 strings to EAC#F#, using Aquila 8-string Baritone strings. Also included is a new set of Aquila 8-string Tenor strings for GCEA tuning + a new set of Aquila 8-strin Baritone strings for EAC#F# tuning.

Comes with canvas-covered polystyrene hardshell case.

$495 firm, + shipping (which would probably be $25 to $30 in the continental USA).

Let me know if you're interested and I can post some photos!

It sounds good but I'm unsure about Mele. I've read some unfavourable comments about their build quality on several forums that tends to deter me. But the eight string is tempting and around my price range... how old is it? How's the action? Any problems with humidity/drying (this seems a common complaint)? Pics are always welcome for the drool component...

Hi Ian,
The Mele is about 5 years old, I believe, and it is in fine condition. The neck is straight, and there are no cracks or dings. I'm not aware of any humidity/dryness problems, but it's always been kept in its case and indoors, and I use a Herco clay humidifier in the case. I'll double-check it closely though. I am the original owner.

Very cool and versatile intrument. The paired strings give it a very full and lush sound. The G and C paried strings are tuned in ocatves, and the A and E strings are tuned in unison.

I find it's somewhat more difficult to finger the paired strings cleanly, I think mostly because the uke has a wider fretboard, and because I am having trouble playing the longer tenor scale these days - I didn't have my arthritis problem when I originally got it, and found it easy to play at that time, even though I have pretty small hands. The action is low and string tension is medium-low. If you want to increase the string tension, you could put on harder strings than the Aquila's I use.

I just re-strung it with a new set of tenor Aquila strings. Note that in the tenor string set, the paired E atrings are the same gauge, as are the A strings. The baritone strings have different gaues for the A and E pairs.

A new set of Aquila barione strings are included.

I'll measure the width of the nut tonight when I get home from work and post some photos.

Care to consider a trade?

I'm interested....I am finding out that the Tenor size seems to be the way I will be going....
As to the question about Mele quality, I have a Mele Koa concert size pineapple that is simply fantastic...a beautiful looking, playing , and sounding instrument!!
By the way, if you, (or anybody) is interested in it, I'd like to trade it for a Tenor, since I think I may just sell my non-Tenor ukes as I won't be playing them much.
Would you be interested in a trade deal involving yours??
Mine is in brand new condition and still has the tags, and comes in a chipboard type case.
I'm open to a sale, a trade, or even a trade plus cash.
Any interest?

Thanks NewbieUkie, but I think I'll pass on the trade.

I have way too many ukes, although there are still a few I'm on the lookout for - I'd like to either trade or sell some in order to get these - any Larrivee ukulele (but especially a spruce top one), a Joel Eckhaus uke (again spruce or cedar or redwood top preferred), and maybe a wood-body resonator uke. Other higher-end softwood top ukes would definitely be considered too. Looking for concerts or long-neck sopranos.

Here are the photos of the Mele 8 string tenor with cutaway:

Attachments

• DSC07358.JPG
    DSC07358.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC07365.JPG
    DSC07365.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC07364.JPG
    DSC07364.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC07367.JPG