Must listen music

Baseballhack

Reaction score
Alright I don't know where to post this so here it is. Could you fine fellow uker's please list must listen to ukulele music. I know Jake is a must, are all the cd's great or do you recommend certain ones. I grew up in Hawaii but joined the military and haven't been home in years. So I grew up with IZ, and Ka'au Crater Boys... Any suggestions would be great.

Check out Shigeto Takahashi on Youtube if you've never listened to him, he's an amazing player and a very nice guy.

I think you will get several answers to your question. It kind of depends on what type of ukulele music you''re into listening and playing. Hawaiian, Jazz, folk, covers, and etc... I only have Jake's live CD and enjoy it. His latest CD Peace Love Uke I think only has one solo the rest are played with a collaboration of instruments. So for me I enjoy listening to him play solo.

I have all of Jake's CD's and it's all great stuff, I personally prefer more traditional stuff so I tend to listen more to players like Shigeto, Ohta-san and Roy Smeck. You should get tons of recommendations from other players though!

Alright I don't know where to post this so here it is. Could you fine fellow uker's please list must listen to ukulele music. I know Jake is a must, are all the cd's great or do you recommend certain ones. I grew up in Hawaii but joined the military and haven't been home in years. So I grew up with IZ, and Ka'au Crater Boys... Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you for your service.

Your question is too open ended in that there are many styles of ukulele music. IZ doesn't sound at all like Jake. Victoria Vox doesn't sound like Craig Robertson. Lil' Rev plays a lot of Tin Pan Alley but that isn't at all like the Crater Boys.

Try googling the six I mentioned and see what's available. Any stone you turn over will be worth it.

Pure Heart albums are pretty cool, might take some searching to find them. Pure heart is the band Jake was in before he went solo. I like the Daniel Ho and Herb Ohta cd's. Also the Aldrine albums are great listening.

Craig Robertson makes music that just so happens to have a uke in the instrumentation most of the time. His songs tend to speak to me more than other uke-specific artists.

Lil' Rev, Janet Klein and her Parlour Boys, Lyle Ritz, The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, George Formby, Cliff Edwards (Ukulele Ike), The Ukulele Club De Paris, Victoria Vox, The Old Spice Boys...

James Hill's "True love don't weep" is wonderful. It is a fantastic folk album that features a uke. I really like the fact that James sings on the album and isn't just instrumental. You owe it to yourself to take it for a spin on iTunes if you like folk music.

James Hill's "True love don't weep" is wonderful. It is a fantastic folk album that features a uke. I really like the fact that James sings on the album and isn't just instrumental. You owe it to yourself to take it for a spin on iTunes if you like folk music.

thanks for the recommendation elisdad. I've just ordered a copy. Cheers! :)

Hey does anyone here listen to Paula Fuga? Shes a great talent from Hawaii. She has an amazing voice and plays the ukulele as well. Maybe shes just not as popular as a think she should be. I would recommend her very much. If you buy her EP's you wont regret it!

THE WELLINGTON INTERNATIONAL UKULELE ORCHESTRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't believe nobody's mentioned them :(

Top Bottom