Grizzly kit problems

lordlogan

Reaction score
so on my grizzly kit i have everything done except getting the uke in tune

no matter what i do it won't tune any solution?

I used aquillas for GCE but A aquilla snapped while i was tuning

G stays at G
C at C
E inbetween E and F sharp
And A will reach A but the tuning peg slips it back to
G sharp

Then when i finally get it right it just doesnt sound right is that due to the cheapness of the kit poor construction or the 1 string?

Should i tighten the tuner screws?

Last edited:
Don't mean to be rude but can anybody offer some advice?

The screws are pretty tight. how would i check the neck alignment?

Should i tighten the tuner screws?
Yes.

If strings are snapping you may need to do more filing at the nut or saddle to eliminate sharp edges.

Then when i finally get it right it just doesn't sound right is that due to the cheapness of the kit poor construction or the 1 string?
I bought different tuners and nut for my Grizzly kit. The tuners I bought were pretty inexpensive ones from Stewart MacDonlad but they seemed to slip less than the kit set. I used a bone nut from Stewart MacDonald.

I did a lot of searching here and questioning before I did the setup on the Grizzly kit. I was surprised at how good the intonation was after I put the strings on. This was not due to my skill but from the posts I read by experienced builders here at UU.

I went with the advice of some builders here who say the distance from the 12th fret to the saddle should be the same as the distance from nut to the 12th fret PLUS maybe 3/32". I also did a bit of compensation on the saddle after it was all in place.

Yes.

If strings are snapping you may need to do more filing at the nut or saddle to eliminate sharp edges.

I bought different tuners and nut for my Grizzly kit. The tuners I bought were pretty inexpensive ones from Stewart MacDonlad but they seemed to slip less than the kit set. I used a bone nut from Stewart MacDonald.

I did a lot of searching here and questioning before I did the setup on the Grizzly kit. I was surprised at how good the intonation was after I put the strings on. This was not due to my skill but from the posts I read by experienced builders here at UU.

I went with the advice of some builders here who say the distance from the 12th fret to the saddle should be the same as the distance from nut to the 12th fret PLUS maybe 3/32". I also did a bit of compensation on the saddle after it was all in place.

I'll tighten now, Could a crappy job on the nut make my uke sound horrid?

I made a gizzly kist a few years a go, I am throwing it in the fire at UWC, bring yours if it does not cooperate

I made a gizzly kist a few years a go, I am throwing it in the fire at UWC, bring yours if it does not cooperate

Awh i might have to!

R.I.P
Cheaply made Ukuleles around the underground

You can also turn it into a Lampulele: =D

!Bw3mYNQBGk~$(KGrHqYOKkYEwREU53WDBMK8ETO4E!~~0_12.JPG

Last edited:
The tightening of the A string worked!!!! it doesnt sound the best but hey it was 25 bucks and a blast to make thanks so much every one for their help! looks like ill be retracting me and my Ukes RSVP to the fire pit :D

Play it for a while and then tell us in detail how it sounds. Is it in tune when all the strings are open but goes sharp as you fret higher up the neck? Etc. Lots of help is available but play it for a week or two before you decide what the problem is, it always takes me a while to get used to the uke and for the uke to settle down.

I just ordered this kit, and from my research, the bridge/saddle is about 1/8" too close to the nut! This is probably the cause of a lot of it. Make sure the nut and saddle are level and that the strings are level. Also, must check to see if the holes in the tuning pegs have any sharp edges that cause strings to "snap". Might also make sure the nut edges aren't too sharp either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom