Ukulele tunings. I'm new~

4nd3h

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to confirm something, please.

Are soprano, alto (concert) and tenor ukuleles usually (not counting low G) tuned to the same GCEA? I mean pitch-wise. Is the A string on a soprano the same note as on an alto, and on a tenor?

It seems to me that an alto, by naming, should be a fourth down from soprano (octave up from bari) and tenor should be an octave down from soprano. Or is it already? :confused::confused:

Thanks guys.

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to confirm something, please.

Are soprano, alto (concert) and tenor ukuleles usually (not counting low G) tuned to the same GCEA? I mean pitch-wise. Is the A string on a soprano the same note as on an alto, and on a tenor?

It seems to me that an alto, by naming, should be a fourth down from soprano (octave up from bari) and tenor should be an octave down from soprano. Or is it already? :confused::confused:

Thanks guys.

As far as i know the concert and tenor are just longer then the soprano

Tuned to the same GCEA

Yes...it takes a bit of getting used to when you're new to the uke, but the names denote size and length, not tuning. Ironically, the tenor is capable of playing higher than the concert and soprano, as it has more frets. The baritone is tuned a fourth lower than the other three sizes.

Top Bottom