What strings for an Ohana PK-25G Solid Mahogany Pineapple?

J_Tay81

Reaction score
I bought this uke from a UU'er here, and it has Aquila Nylguts on it. Problem is, the uke just sounds tinny and weak. Usually Aquilas 'wake up' all of my other ukuleles, but this one just doesn't sound that good. I emailed MGM - but he didn't respond (busy guy, I know).

What do you all recommend for a solid mahogany pineapple? What will make her sing? Or at least warble a bit :)

You might try Martin flurocarbons

Are the fluorocarbons by Martin available in a gCEA tuning or only in a 'D' tuning? I thought I ran into that problem awhile ago (I usually play in 'C' tuning).

I have clears on mine. Sounds a ton like my Kamaka soprano antique. Not a bad thing. It does have a tinny sound to it still but I like that.

Aloha J_Tay81,
I like the Fleuro Martins M600....got them on my Martin and the worth browns are not a bad idea too....Good Luck and Let us what you decide and how it sounds..You might want to PM Ken Middleton as he
works for Ohana and ask his advice....Happy Strummings, MM Stan
Strings will sound different on different ukes.....

What I've done at this point is taken the excess string from my D'Addario J53 black nylons that I used on my Fluke and put them on the Ohana too. I literally just did it five minutes ago, but the Ohana sounds more mellow and less tinny, yet slightly louder with more sustain than it did with the Aquilas. I bought it used so maybe the Aquilas were wearing out?

It's the first time I've disliked the Aquilas on my ukes. I was all set to go out tomorrow and buy the Martins locally but I think the D'Addarios will suffice for now. BTW - I like 'em on the Fluke too - they sound a bit different than the Hilos. More sustain, louder, etc. But that may just be my ear.

Thanks for the replies!

I was looking at getting these and I seem to recall someone talking about Fremonts in them. I can't find the original post, but they might also be worth a shot.

A little late to the game, but I tossed some clear Martin Fluorocarbons onto this uke and it really sounds nice. It doesn't have the brashness or volume of the Aquilas, but it has it's own sound now. I recommend them. They were pretty cheap too. I'm just not used to the thinner strings - the Aquilas are like ropes in comparison!

A little late to the game, but I tossed some clear Martin Fluorocarbons onto this uke and it really sounds nice. It doesn't have the brashness or volume of the Aquilas, but it has it's own sound now. I recommend them. They were pretty cheap too. I'm just not used to the thinner strings - the Aquilas are like ropes in comparison!

I too have discovered Martin Fluros and they are now my string of choice. I'm a believer.

I was looking at getting these and I seem to recall someone talking about Fremonts in them. I can't find the original post, but they might also be worth a shot.

I'm pretty sure I've got Fremonts on my Ohana Sopranino. I like them. (It had Aquilas when I got it and I agree, the brightness of the strings just didn't do justice to the warmer part of what the Ohana is capable of.)
As always, experiment when you need new strings. It's fairly inexpensive way to mod your instrument to get it to sound the way you hear in your head.

Top Bottom