I found a unique ukulele, whats it worth?

Loki

Reaction score
I couldn't get a picture, but its like a pocket ukulele but a 10 string version, it has wood tuners and looks to be at least 50 years old maybe older. the tag inside is missing, but there is a white design around the hole. He was asking 250.00 is that a steal or going rate for something like this. I was attracted to the tiny body and huge headstock, it was unique thats for sure. the headstock is almost as big as the body.

Last edited:
Sounds like a charango. Without a maker's name or a country of origin, it's a shot in the dark.

It does sound like a charango.

Did it look anything like this?

instrument-bolivian-charango.jpg

They go for a huge range of prices, so no way to know without more details, sadly.

:)

I don't know if it's a steal for you, but it could be a steal for the seller. I wouldn't part with that much money for something like that based on speculation or a hunch or just because it's old. I wonder if there is even a vintage charango market out there?

I'm sure it's a Charango.

The problem with Latin instruments is that they range from dirt-cheap to very expensive and not having a "name" on it does not clarify anything. Some of the best charango that I have seen came from remote villages where some local luthier builds them entirely by hand... and often, they sell cheap. It is the "modern" manufacturers wares that you will find in the tourist spots selling at higher prices than they are worth.

the tuners are top to bottom and are made of wood and the headstock is longer, I'll try to get a picture next week if I can

Top Bottom