If I can't get to the mountain.... K2 on it's way

Ken of York

Reaction score
Just had to tell you all, my new Kanile'a K-2 Tenor is on it's way to me and I am tingling in anticipation. It is a satin finish, seen a couple of low resolution pics of it so only have a small idea of how it looks. That will be secondary though to the sound I am hoping to enjoy from it. It has been brilliant so far with my first uke, so beautiful to hold and so versatile musically. It is a big purchase for me, but progress has been outstanding and I am totally ready to commit.

Hah, I've only had my first Uke for about 6 weeks and this UAS fever can really get a hold of you before you know it! I read some similar posts with interest, especially regarding the acclimatisation risks, however the Kanilea is not coming overseas, just a day or so delivery from a shop 200 miles away - but I do intend to be very careful and 'ease it in' to my situation.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Ken

Aloha Ken,
Congratulations...wow...You've been bitten real bad by the UAS bug eh...I'm sooo jealous!!! I was never that fortunate...Have Fun and enjoy!! google Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for some awesome
ukulele tutorial videos and Dr Uke for songs, chords, and instruction...Happy Strummings and thanks for sharing...MM Stan

Congrats on your K2 and your progress, I love Kanile'a ukes too. Post some pics when you get a chance, and join up with the UU Kanile'a club here..

Hi mm stan + Teek

Thanks for your comments. It came today, I am playing it cool on the outside while my inner child is doing somersaults. I took the packing case off and it is sat unopened in it's pod case, the plan is to unveil it tonight when it is at room temperature. Have to get back to work now :-(

Thanks for those tips as well guys, I'll get some pics up pretty soon and video will follow when I find a quick n easy tune.

Ken

Congratz on your new uke. Cant wait to see the pics and i bet your looking forward to playing it tonight.

Aha!! I let it loose tonight. It was a wonderful thrill to open the case and make contact for the first time. It is of course beautiful (would I say anything else?!), and actually most everything about it is kind of understated. Then looking closer the qualities of finish and materials becomes obvious.

My immediate impressions then - regarding 1. Aesthetics and 2. Playability:
1. The satin finish is great, it still shines but it is the wood doing it and the feel is very errrr sensuous. Look really close at the wood and see the pores in the surface. Then there is a rich smell to it that takes me back 20 years to when I worked in a furniture store, it is like the smell of the £2000 top quality dining tables. Comparing it to my Kala the body is not as deep, but the fretboard is just slightly bigger. The binding around the body looks like just a brown strip but up close it has translucent depth and tortoise shell reflections. The frets are perfectly comfortable up to the body, then they get a bit square-ended from 15 to 19 but I don't think that is going to trouble me. So all in all with the satin feel, the pores, the odour, it is like having a little animal in my grasp and that is a good analogy for me. Once tamed my new pet will be my responsibility for life!
2. Very simply put - it is easy to play. Solid koa really makes a difference as well, the body sings with resonance when strumming, there is no need to 'force' anything so the notes simply (and this is a very important word) flow and that to me is the difference between a good instrument and a great one.

Basically I'm pleased!

Congratulations! It sounds like you're way more than just pleased with the new uke!

Now you're going to have to change your "Kala KA-KTG-CT Tenor / That's it...........for now" signature!

Yep mds725 just done the deed! Oh the shame of UAS - I actually have another instrument on my wish list as well to complete a new set up.

Top Bottom