Who is getting a Banjo Ukulele this year?

cletus

Reaction score
I'd sure like one. A vintage one won't do for me, I'm wanting a concert neck, and no age related issues. The Mainland banjo uke is definitely looking and sounding good, but I want to wait until the Magic Fluke models hit the market before I decide.

How about you?

I'd sure like one. A vintage one won't do for me, I'm wanting a concert neck, and no age related issues. The Mainland banjo uke is definitely looking and sounding good, but I want to wait until the Magic Fluke models hit the market before I decide.

How about you?

+1. At the top of my list. I'm waiting on the Fluke to compare the two, but it will definitely be a banjo uke year.

I'll be getting the Fluke Banjolele once it comes out. I like how light it seems to be, and the price doesn't hurt either.

How about you?

I like eugeneukulele's Aron Kleim in his video....sounds nice too...

Definitely want a banjo uke but prefer the tenor scale. There is a nice Rally model made by Liang Lu in Taiwan that I may order but I also have a friend who makes banjos here in Ontario and I challenged him to make a banjo uke and he has finally done it. He made 6 - 3 concert and 3 tenor but before I could get one he sold them all (sounds like he succeeded) so I guess I will try again when he has more made.

I agree with the 52blues. Would love to see the Magic Fluke one available with a tenor scale.

I will HOPEfully be getting my Stromberg-Voisenet back from the luthier that has had it since September and hasn't done anything.

Got a Morgan Monroe from Mim earlier this month...

Absolutely worth it!

Like Pondoro, I'm still working on it to make it perfect, but I just love it.

I've owned 4 banjo ukes in the past 5 years and I've yet to find one that I really like.

Wait, I take that back. I actually kept my Terry Mead wood banjo uke. But that's more of an actual uke and less of a banjo.

As far as actual banjo ukes are concerned, I'm not having luck finding one that sounds good, stays sounding good without endless tweaks, doesn't weigh a ton and a half, and is fun to play. I even tried a Beansprout, and while I was happy with that for a few months it eventually started sounding dead and I couldn't get the adjustments right enough to make it open up again.

The Fluke banjo uke looks promising, and I kinda want one, but I feel like my optimism is just inevitable disappointment.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread, it just reminded me that lately I've been really frustrated with uke banjos. Still looking for "the one".

I've played a couple of Goldtones and other brands in shops. I'm planning to get a Mainland once they get the soprano version in. Unless I see one that really speaks to me next week when I'm at the Denver Uke Fest.

Jim- once that part of a banjo is taken out of the equation, it really ceases to be a banjo. You can certainly do all right with synthetic heads and such, but they are supposed to be mucked with. From what I have found on the banjo forums, this is part of the love affair with them (glad I was not the only one).
I will certainly be getting another. I got a May Bell Banjo Uke in October and I am wearing her out. She is I am sure by all standards very heavy (I play Accordion too so she is a feather comparatively), excruciatingly finicky, In constant need of some tweak or other...but at 90 years old I find she is still worth the time. Would like to add the 7" version to the stable. I love having to carry wrenches in my uke case- makes it more manly. She is also the only uke I own that can sound like heck when I get up, and great after I shower if I leave the door open.
I LOVE the Beansprout, but will certainly never be able to afford one unless I go back to exotic dancing...sigh
The mainland is pretty, but I saw one in a video that was maple and now that is all I want- plus, I wish it was open backed.
The Fluke did nothing for me- looked like a neck screwed to a plastic tambourine. Even the least accomplished craftsman could make one for $40, and I doubt that is the asking price. We'll see as they start to surface.

I just got my Rally banjolele about a week and a half ago. So far, it's my favorite of all my ukes.

I am concidering it but first a Koaloha concert and a baritone xD

I am currently working on procuring a fluke, Eddy Finn (Morgan Monroe), Mainland, Gold Tone, and a few others for a big article in the next few months. I want to compare them, no real winner since a lot of it is personal choice. I think this is the year of the banjo uke

I think this is the year of the banjo uke

A friend and I watched A-Team last night. At one point in the movie there's a soldier playing a banjo uke. Not exactly featured in the movie but still getting some attention!

Top Bottom