hammer-on

bonstargazer

Reaction score
Hello lovely people,

I'm absolute novice to ukulele. While watching Uku Minutes tutorial about hammer-on, I found myself having trouble with it. Basically the second note almost does not make any sound when I press on it. I think I have already followed the instructions. Does it have anything to do with the ukulele itself? And weird thing is, it sounds ok on pull-offs. Much more noticeable than hammer-on.
Is that normal? Any advices would be greatly appreciated!!:)

I think you need to have some volume because it is going to deaden the string some. And put your finger down really quickly so you mute it less. But someone else will probably have better advice because I am new. :)

Here's a video from Aldrine, it's important that you provide enough force to get a loud and clear note from the hammer-on whereas pull-offs are more about pulling down and away from the string as you release the fretted note. If you continue to have any problems then feel free to contact me and I'll record a close-up video demonstrating any techniques you might have questions about. Hope that helps! Take care!

Sorry! Wow, I just realized you mentioned you were having problems with THAT video, I feel like an idiot :( haha. I'll record a short tutorial showing you what I mean

Thanks Ataraxia! That was a big help! I am also struggling with Hammer ons and Pull offs. I am currently learning to play In Dreams (LOTR soundtrack) and right off the bat you have a hammer on followed immediately by a pull off. Not that obvious for a beginner to pull off, lol!

Thanks Ataraxia! That was a big help! I am also struggling with Hammer ons and Pull offs. I am currently learning to play In Dreams (LOTR soundtrack) and right off the bat you have a hammer on followed immediately by a pull off. Not that obvious for a beginner to pull off, lol!

Awesome! :D I'm really happy it was able to help someone! I like that song a lot btw, great soundtrack. I agree, some things that appear simple can really be confusing when you're learning a new instrument. I'm lucky to have played guitar for so long, it makes picking up other instruments a lot easier for me. I play ukulele more than guitar now though heh.

Wow Thank you so much Ataraxia! This really helps a lot!
I think I got it. I tried on different string and found the A string make less sound than the other strings.
So it is prob because my ukulele is too cheapo to make a proper sound on A string. I will try on different ukulele later to see how it goes. Will upgrade it if necessary.
Thank you again for the lovely video! :)

Last edited:
Wow Thank you so much Ataraxia! This really helps a lot!
I think I got it. I tried on different string and found the A string make less sound than the other strings.
So it is prob because my ukulele is too cheapo to make a proper sound on A string. I will try on different ukulele later to see how it goes. Will upgrade it if necessary.
Than you again for the lovely video! :)

No problem at all! I'm happy I was able to help :D. Thanks for the nice comment! Another problem could be the action... if the strings are too high above the fretboard then it makes it much more difficult to play. Anyway, if it turns out to be your ukulele then I agree with your idea to upgrade. A nicer instrument will have you playing more often due to the quality of sound and playability. Take care!

Top Bottom