Best place(s) in Hawai'i to compare K brand ukuleles?

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm going to be going to Hawai'i soon, probably sometime in the next month, with planned stops on Oahu and Kauai (I may try to sign up for an ukulele lesson with Bruce Shimabukuro in Waikiki, and I've gotta sing Dennis Kamakahi's "Koke'e" in Koke'e National Park, right?) Anyway, one of the things I'd like to do while I'm in Hawai'i is shop for and buy a K brand (Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanile'a) tenor ukulele. Based on recommendations posted in the UU forums, I plan to tour the K brand factories, but I was wondering if there were places on either island that sell two or three of the K brands so I can compare them. I noticed that although Bounty and Hawaiian Music Supply sell Kamakas, both of their websites say that Kamaka tenors are backordered. Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mahalos!

In Kauai, Larry's Music in Kapa'a always has Kanilea, Kamaka and KoAloha in stock. You can actually see their inventory at www.ukuleleuprising.com

In Oahu, I think the best inventory (but not the best prices) would be at either Ukulele Puapua at the Sheraton, or Aloha Ukulele at the Kalia Tower in the Hilton Hawaiian Village. You could also try Bob's at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. Bear in mind, all of these have non discounted prices, but they all (Aloha Ukulele in particular) have each of the brands and some really beautiful ukes. I would definitely visit all three if I were in the buying mood, as they are all within walking distance of each other.

And you are making the right move to tour the factories. I have done the tours for Kamaka, KoAloha and Kanilea and they were great. Bear in mind though that Kanilea is in Kaneohe, nowhere near Waikiki. If you are going there be sure to rent a car, or plan on a bus ride of more than an hour each way. KoAloha is closer, and Kamaka is closest of all. Plus, KoAloha often has factory seconds that you can buy there at a discount.

Once you know which K brand you prefer, I would give MGM a call. He always seems to have Kanilea and KoAloha tenors in stock, so if that is what you choose, his price and setup will be way better than anything in Waikiki.

Have fun! :)

Aloha Mark,
I'd stay away from the Waikiki and Aloha tower if you're buying....you must have deep pockets for there..unless you just want to try them out to compare the difference... These are the top shops....Easy Music Center 591-0999, Island Guitars, Dans guitars942-2900, MGM,Hawaii Music Supply 622-8000, Kanilea Ukulele234-2868, KoAloha 847-4911, Kamaka 531-3165 others call on availability..Good guys 732-4663, Harry's 735-2866,
I Hope it helps...this is only in the Honolulu area....MM Stan
P.S. seconds at KoAloha is a good deal too!!

Mark,

I would go straight to MGM in Kaneohe. You could do the Kanilea factory tour since they are across the street from MGM. He always has Kanilea and KoAloha but not Kamaka. I think he can get Kamaka but he doesn't really keep them in stock. Larry's has the most K ukes I've seen in a store with Puapua running second. Easy music does have the three K's but have limited inventory since they mainly deal in guitars. Hawaii Music Supply will have a good selection of Pono and Koolau ukes since they are affiliated with the Kitakis family. I've seen them advertise seconds on craigslist but I've never been to the factory to check them out.

Been to Dan's in the past several weeks... was picking up strings for my guitar, but saw several Kamaka, Koaloha ukes

Easy Music Center on King st --almost always have kanilea kamakas and koalohas (though not necessarily in every size). I got my Kamaka tenor and Kanilea concert ukes there.
Best part is that they will sell them at 10-15% discounts!
Good luck!

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! Someone in my ukulele class also recommended a place called Scotty's in Kauai. I'll check with MGM if I decide to buy either a KoAloha or a Kanile'a, and I was going to visit his store anyway to buy some Makala dolphins as gifts. I'll post about my shopping experience after my trip.

Aloha Mark,
I'd stay away from the Waikiki and Aloha tower if you're buying....you must have deep pockets for there..unless you just want to try them out to compare the difference... These are the top shops....Easy Music Center 591-0999, Island Guitars, Dans guitars942-2900, MGM,Hawaii Music Supply 622-8000, Kanilea Ukulele234-2868, KoAloha 847-4911, Kamaka 531-3165 others call on availability..Good guys 732-4663, Harry's 735-2866,
I Hope it helps...this is only in the Honolulu area....MM Stan
P.S. seconds at KoAloha is a good deal too!!

Great list, Stan. Is there a Hawaii Music Supply in Honolulu or is there just the store in Wahiawa?

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! Someone in my ukulele class also recommended a place called Scotty's in Kauai. I'll check with MGM if I decide to buy either a KoAloha or a Kanile'a, and I was going to visit his store anyway to buy some Makala dolphins as gifts. I'll post about my shopping experience after my trip.

I have been to Scotty's and Larry's. Scotty's isn't bad but Larry's has MUCH more inventory and comparable (or better) prices. I would go there first. You can always see the inventory at Larry's then go to Scotty's but I wouldn't want to buy one at Scotty's then see something better at Larry's. Just my two cents...

I have been to Scotty's and Larry's. Scotty's isn't bad but Larry's has MUCH more inventory and comparable (or better) prices. I would go there first. You can always see the inventory at Larry's then go to Scotty's but I wouldn't want to buy one at Scotty's then see something better at Larry's. Just my two cents...

Thanks, WW, for all the insight in both of your posts! I'm not sure I'll be in Kauai lontg enough to get the same sense of ukulele vendors there that you have, as I think I'll only be there for a few days and I'd like to spend some time at Koke'e National Park and Hanilea Bay.

Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful information!

If you're staying in the Poipu area of Kauai'i, Larry's has a nice shop in Koloa, also. I bought my KoAloha there in October, and Joe was a great help. Between their shops in Kapa'a and in Koloa, I had quite a nice selection from which to choose.

Top Bottom