Ka Ipo Lei Manu: John King ukulele arrangement

Very, Very nice.
DAP

Aloha Tim,
That was cool man..enjoyed it very much...also nice You Tube Channel....thanks for Sharing....MM Stan..

Hi Tim, that was absolutely beautiful! you made my day which was going pretty awfully.

Ka Ipo Lei Manu is one of the most amazing compositions by the Hawaian Royals on John King's CD. As far as I can see there are no scores for it in any of John King's books, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you have a tab by any chance? I'm a painter, as well as a world renowned ukulele player (joke), and I'm currently creating paintings inspired by music created by the Hawaian Royal family, and I'm determined to actually learn to play some of the pieces. Ka Ipo Lei Manu would be an achievement for me, it's a moving piece and has a moving story behind it. How difficult is it?

Regards from Spain

A little info on the Mele entitled Ka Ipo Lei Manu and was taken from Huapala - Hawaiian Music and Hula Archives
Source: Researched and translated by Lehua Kalima - In Hawaiian poetry, the sweetheart is personified as the `i`iwi bird. Julia Kapi`olani, the shy and retiring widow of Chief Bennett Namakeha, was one of the most beautiful women of her time and married High Chief David Kâlakaua, Dec. 1863, who was elected king in 1874. A devout christian with high morals, her motto was "Kulia I Ka Nu`u (Strive for the Highest)". Beloved by her people, distinguished by her charitable deeds, two missions close to her heart stood out: (1) she always raised money for the leper settlement in Kalaupapa to improve their living conditions, and (2) perpetuation of the Hawaiian Race. She wanted to establish a hospital for underprivileged Hawaiian women to have the best care for mothers and babies. Attending Queen Victoria's Jubilee celebration, 1887, in London, Kapiolani made many visits to hospitals and foundling homes and returned to Hawaii with much enthusiasm and exciting plans for her hospital. She raised $8000 and her most cherished dream was realized when Kapiolani Maternity Home opened June 14, 1890, on the site of the former home of Princess Kekaulike. Queen Kapi`olani composed this song for her husband after he left Hawaii for the mainland aboard the Charleston, Nov, 1890. Under great political stress, his doctors thought a change of climate would benefit his failing health. He arrived in San Francisco, Dec 4 and took up residence at the Palace Hotel. He toured southern California and returned to San Francisco the middle of January for medical attention. January 20, 1891, the King died at the Palace Hotel. His last words were "Tell my people I tried". He never heard this haunting love song. Copyright 1935, Miller Music Inc

Thanks, KANAKA, for that. I was aware of some of that background but the more I learn the more poetic the whole thing becomes, and the piece of music lives up to the circumstances. ¿tabs?

Top Bottom