Where to begin

Reaction score
Just bought my first ukulele (a makala kala) and i don't even know where to begin. Originally i am a drummer and still am but have always been interested in the instrument. Where should i start and is it worth it to even buy a beginner book?

I've learned a lot watching You Tube videos.

I've been practicing the basic C G7 Am and F chords and getting the Down Down Up Up Down Strumming down. Today after two weeks, I finally got the Chucking down even though it's kind of rough still. I liked the beginning Ukulele videos made by Hawaii music supply.

Last edited:
Hey GKK,
I watch a lot of You Tube videos on ukulele music too. I find it very helpful. I owe a debt of gratitude to the folks at You Tube, because that's where I saw the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, and was inspired to buy my first ukulele. Now, I'm hooked.

I've been practicing the basic C G7 Am and F chords and getting the Down Down Up Up Down Strumming down
.GKK started the same way I did. You and I have much in common, being a drummer you'll understand rhythm better than a total musical instrument newbie. Take the time to get comfortable having the uke in your hands. It's like when you sit behind a drum kit for the first time with sticks in hand and it's all new, but soon you get comfortable there. Same with the uke. Check out all the suggestions here and find the best way for you to learn and get from the uke what you want. Congratulations on a cool new instrument and welcome to UU.
DAP

Aloha Ross,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the Ukulele...have fun and enjoy both....google Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for awesome ukulele video tutorials and Dr Uke for songs, chords, and instructions..
Happy Strummings, MM Stan..

Aloha Ross,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the Ukulele...have fun and enjoy both....google Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for awesome ukulele video tutorials and Dr Uke for songs, chords, and instructions..
Happy Strummings, MM Stan..

Aloha and welcome to the UU!! I agree with mm stan... these are some great sites!!!

o and i almost forgot on all the videos i have seen they say to get aquila strings do they really make that big of a difference?

Ross - this is a bugbear of mine. Aquilas are superb strings, but not necessarily on EVERY instrument. I certainly recommend trying them on cheaper ukuleles as they have the power to drive the cheaper laminate tops, but would never tell anyone it MUST be Aquila.

I have a poll running on my site re favourite strings, and if you look at current voting, the results are not surprising - massive win for Aquila. I think this is a shame as I included the option "depends on the uke"

It really does!

I have Aquila on my Makala and Ozark Banjolele. I have Worths on my Flea and Fluke and Martin Flouros on my Mainland.

Top Bottom