Chord shapes with nothing in common

misty

Reaction score
I am using the Starting the Ukulele book by Steven Sproat, and trying to do Scarborough Faire. It has Em (0432) to D (2220) all through the song. Is there a trick to making this leap without a pause or is it just practice? Thanks!

Last edited:
I am afraid that Stephen has nothing whatever to do with The Ukulele Orcherstra Of Great Britain.

To answer your question, though. It really is just practice.

Try this.

1. Learn each chord separately. Make sure that all the strings are sounding clearly. If not, make sure that each finger is close to, but not on the fret.
2. Practise very slow the chord changes. Stop if necessary to change chords. Make sure you get the chords right.
3. After a while, try getting the changes smoothly, even if you fluff the chord sometimes.

In other words, sometimes concentrate on getting the chord right and sometimes getting the timing right. Don't do it at speed too soon.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I assumed he was because he mentioned them. I also spelled his name wrong. I will correct it.

Thanks for the advice. I will try it!

Thanks, I assumed he was because he mentioned them. I also spelled his name wrong. I will correct it.

Thanks for the advice. I will try it!
You could also revoice the chords a bit. Put down a barre with your index finger on the 2nd fret and play em(4432) to D(2225)

Aloha Misty,
Like Ken said, go slowly first and make sure you fret properly and strum evenly...and practice that transition slowly and when you get better and it is moving more smoothly then you can slowly increase your
speed in the tempo and transition. Practice, patience, passion, and Perserverence= ukulele success!! Good Luck!! Have fun and enjoy!! Happy Strummings...MM Stan..

trying to do Scarborough Faire. It has Em (0432) to D (2220) all through the song. Is there a trick to making this leap without a pause or is it just practice?

Does it have to be in this key? If it's not too critical, you can play it in Dm (2 2 1 0) and C (0 0 0 3). Of course, you're changing all Em to Dm, and all D to C. It will be a little bit lower but not much. Or, you can do Am (2 0 0 0) to D (0 2 3 2).

If you're learning to use Bm or D chords, forget my ideas.

Cheers
Chief

PS: Changing Bm to A will take time but it can be done so don't give up either

Thank you for the advice. Yeah, the point of the piece is to learn the chords so I don't want to change it. Practice practice practice for me!

Top Bottom