Daily Ukulele for 2/1/2011: When The Red Red Robin Comes...

H

Hippie Dribble

howdy gang

I'm putting up this post this morning in response to JJ's thread a couple of days back about doing our own "Daily Ukulele" diary.

It was raining here yesterday and I was feeling less than great so I picked up the book and flipped through some pages and was drawn to a song near the end:

February 1 - "When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob Bob Bobbin' Along" (p. 264)

It was written by the great songwriter Harry M. Woods back in 1926 and has been sung by so many famous performers over the years...from Dean Martin and Doris Day, to Cliff Edwards and Al Jolson, who made it a #1 hit on the billboard charts.

Hard to sing this song and not feel happy or at least uplifted. Such an easy rhythm that flows along effortlessly, and contains some beautiful lines, including one that could well sum up the Uker's philosophy: 'live, love, laugh and be happy!'

I know you guys in the states have been having some extreme weather, as have we in Oz and this song stands defiant in the face of life's big problems with a simple, sentimental refrain; where listening to the birds' singing is the way out. It's as simple and complicated as that.

I've 'attempted' my own version in the key of "C" as transcribed in the Beloffs' book, and tried to remain faithful to the chords as they're presented to us, with a few slight changes of my own.

this is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIQ1UHj8OBE

happy strummings everyone... :)

Eugeneukulele I love your choice of songs and that you always have the background information. Keep 'em coming.
I have been drawn to the following two songs out of the Daily Ukulele.

page 34: The Best Things In Life Are Free. copywright is 1927 and it was written by B.G. DeSylva, Lew Brown and Ray Henderson.
And page 17: Ain't We Got Fun? Words by Gus Kahn and Raymond B Egan and music by Richard A. Whiting. Ain't We Got Fun? Always gets me tapping my foot and smiling. I shudder just a bit because it may be just a little too close to my reality.

Aloha Bruddah Eugene..
I love the new song, and it sounds really good....I like it in "C" and embellishments you add and the decending strums too!! Totally awesome Mate!!!
Keep um coming!!! enjoying them very much....BTW...looks like quite and audience on the steps there...and your outfit...how cool!! Jemi's doin' an
awesome job...directing... Your Friend, Stan..

Nice job Jon!

Thanks for a cheery start to my day !
DAP

thanks for your comments Roxanne, Stan, John and Don :)

I agree Roxanne, those two songs you mentioned are fabulous ones...makes me think of that old tune, "Accentuate the Positive" for some reason...

And thanks Stan for the compliments on the wardrobe...Jemimah dresses me up! :eek: And it's nice to have some groupies, eh!!! You might say they were a captive audience, if not a little lifeless! :D

This idea of JJ's is a really good one I reckon, hope it catches on

Oh my goodness, I hadn't yet had any coffee when I read your post this morning and didn't realize there was a link to youtube. Sheesh. As always awesome job. I love that song. I like your three groupies

As always- hat is off Jon. Amazing stuff there, I will certainly take a crack at this tomorrow.
I have modified my Daily Ukulele Book per my wife and I's needs and crossed out daily...and written "weekly" in Sharpie- seems it takes me a little longer to learn a song than the author had intended.
If I may add a tune to the list- one for tomorrow maybe?
My favorite tune in the book (and mind you, I will slog through all the Beatles songs to acquaint myself with the the fretboard, but have no desire to really play any of them with the exception of "When I'm 64) is Back Home In Indiana...I have collected Bob Wills since I was about 14, and this is one of his best. My favorite version being the one on the Tiffany Transcriptions, recored mid forties in Oakland California (I can show you where-Fairmont Hotel...Mecca for me).
And now a nod to Jon :)
First published in January 1917, written by Ballard MacDonald and James F. Hanley. This tune started it's life as a tin pan alley tune of the day...a pop equivalent I figure, and was "elevated" when Columbia asked the Original Dixieland Jazz Band to record it, making it one of the first jazz records to sell a lot of units for the company.
It has been recorded many times by many artists, and it's chord progression used over an over again. Most notably, it was the first tune Louis Armstrong played in his live performances for many years.
My favorite version, as mentioned, was recorded by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys in the mid forties, and was recorded for radio broadcast (only?).
This tune was recorded with the "stripped down" version of Bob Wills Band, probably after Bob and Tommy Duncan (singer) were discharged from the military during WWII.
Since I have always been lousy at figuring out instruments, I can safely say that Tommy Duncan is the singer on this track. Pretty sure that Jimmy Wyble, jazz legend (and a friend of mine's uncle!!!) is playing guitar (might be Eldon Shamblin though...not certain) with Noel Bogg sor Herb Remington on Steel ( I think it is Herb), and Tiny Moore on the electric Mandolin.
In any event- the Playboys endured so many line-up changes that I could never hope to keep track of them, but this tune is a must do. I am certain many of you will do it better than I do.
Here is the tune- enjoy yourselves!

Is it just me, or did this look very close to that dream you had? I love the audience. They're very attentive. :)

All I can do is appreciate and admire. Singing and playing is somehow too much like walking and chewing gum for me.

thanks for the comments everyone

I'm at work and using work computer. Our home computer is officially dead and so I am in a hurry and can't respond in detail. Thanks for readfing / watching the post I put up for Feb 1. Really hope the idea catches on and we can all share some tunes from "The Daily Ukulele" throughout the year.

I'll be off line for awhile until our computer is fixed.

Blessings all!!!! :)

thanks for the comments everyone

I'm at work and using work computer. Our home computer is officially dead and so I am in a hurry and can't respond in detail. Thanks for readfing / watching the post I put up for Feb 1. Really hope the idea catches on and we can all share some tunes from "The Daily Ukulele" throughout the year.

I'll be off line for awhile until our computer is fixed.

Blessings all!!!! :)

Loved the video, hope you're back online soon, will miss seeing you around!

Aloha Eugene,
Sorry to hear about computer issues, Ive had my share of them....when I wanted to give mine a 21 gun farewell...hope you solve your computer issues soon, we miss you!! God's Blessings.. MM Stan...

Woo-hoo! Great job, and a great song choice! :)

JJ

Top Bottom