Kamaka wood question

olgoat52

Reaction score
Saw this comment in an ebay listing for a Kamaka tenor.

"Today Kamaka Ukuleles are made with all mahogany wood with only a Koa top and back."

I knew about the mahagony necks and I would prefer it that way. But I was not aware of the Mahagony sides. It is this true on new Kamakas? I have seen some relatively new tenors and the sides appeared to be Koa but I didn't look that close.

That is weird. My Kamaka was built within the last few years and it has koa on the sides, top and back, as well as the headstock.

According to the Kamaka website, "All models are made of Hawaiian koa wood with a lacquer finish to show fine grain highlights. Necks are made of mahogany, and fingerboards and bridges are rosewood, except for deluxe models." That leads me to believe that only the neck, fingerboard and bridge are non-koa wood.

That syncs up with what I thought. Thanks for the opinions. Imagine!! An ebay seller with an inaccurate description.. Why I never!!! ;)

I believe all the standard model are made of koa bodies....and custom or high end could be made with other woods as ordered...I seen my friends Ohta san model with a spruce top....

I believe Kamaka ukes are Koa wood standard, unless you want a spruce top. Not sure about any Mahogany. My Kamaka tenor is Koa wood with a Mahogany neck.

I did their tour last Christmas :D (have full tour video still need to upload to youtube). They use koa wood after it has air-dried. For 4 years (or even up to 6 years). Like others sais their necks are mahogany and bridges are rosewood or ebony (I chose ebony).

I did their tour last Christmas :D (have full tour video still need to upload to youtube). They use koa wood after it has air-dried. For 4 years (or even up to 6 years). Like others sais their necks are mahogany and bridges are rosewood or ebony (I chose ebony).

A little OT, but I look forward to seeing your tour video when you upload it to youtube. Would you mind giving us a link when you do? Even though I have done the tour myself, I always enjoy watching those videos.

WickedWahine got it right. At Kamaka, the body and head plate are koa, the neck is mahogany, and the fingerboard and bridge are rosewood on all of our regular models.

Most questions you have about our instruments can be answered directly on our website at kamakahawaii.com or via email: sales@kamakahawaii.com

Fred Jr

I think I read this somewhere about another maker, not Kamaka.

Top Bottom