Kamaka Ukulele Giveaway?

kamakajr

Reaction score
Aloha, my name is Fred Kamaka, Jr. and I am the Business Manager of Kamaka Hawaii. My grandfather Samuel Kamaka, Sr. formed our family business in 1916, the heyday of the Hawaiian ukulele, in the territory of Hawaii. My cousins and I are honored and privileged to be a part of the continuation of our grandfather's tradition of Hawaiian ukulele making.

This is my first time posting to the Board and I was directed here in order to clarify a recent misunderstanding involving a transaction between Kamaka Hawaii, Kalei Gamiao and Bill Cosby. This transaction was reported in the Honolulu Star Advertiser and discussed in a now closed thread on this Board. Interestingly, shortly after the Star Advertiser reported it, I personally sent a clarification email to them which was never published, and which would have avoided any misunderstanding created about the Kamaka ukulele Mr. Cosby "received."

Although we regularly donate ukuleles to charitable organizations in Hawaii, particularly those servicing children in our community, is is not our policy to provide ukuleles free of charge to professional entertainers/musicians. We do have close relationships with the musicians who play our instruments, and view them as part of our ohana, but you know, they never expect anything for free!

For the record, Mr. Cosby called the factory when he was here in town, ordered a 4-string tenor, and paid for it. At no time did he ever ask that it be given to him for free or that he get a discount. When it was completed, we asked our friend Kalei Gamiao (who was performing in Mr. Cosby's show that evening) to deliver it. This was simply to avoid us having to ship it to the mainland.

The same is true for other entertainers/musicians who have ordered and purchased ukuleles from us, including more recently Dwayne Johnson, Matthew Morrison, and Adam Sandler. They pay for our ukuleles just like evreyone else.

Mahalo for allowing me to clarify Kamaka's policy and practice. I will try to keep up with Ukulele Underground--its great to see the enthusiasm of all you ukulele fans! Keep strumming!

Ka makani mau loa (May the music live on),

Fred Jr.

Welcome to the UU!
Thanks for the clarification.

Great to have you on the Underground Fred! Lots of love for Kamaka here!

Aloha, my name is Fred Kamaka, Jr. and I am the Business Manager of Kamaka Hawaii. My grandfather Samuel Kamaka, Sr. formed our family business in 1916, the heyday of the Hawaiian ukulele, in the territory of Hawaii. My cousins and I are honored and privileged to be a part of the continuation of our grandfather's tradition of Hawaiian ukulele making.

This is my first time posting to the Board and I was directed here in order to clarify a recent misunderstanding involving a transaction between Kamaka Hawaii, Kalei Gamiao and Bill Cosby. This transaction was reported in the Honolulu Star Advertiser and discussed in a now closed thread on this Board. Interestingly, shortly after the Star Advertiser reported it, I personally sent a clarification email to them which was never published, and which would have avoided any misunderstanding created about the Kamaka ukulele Mr. Cosby "received."

Although we regularly donate ukuleles to charitable organizations in Hawaii, particularly those servicing children in our community, is is not our policy to provide ukuleles free of charge to professional entertainers/musicians. We do have close relationships with the musicians who play our instruments, and view them as part of our ohana, but you know, they never expect anything for free!

For the record, Mr. Cosby called the factory when he was here in town, ordered a 4-string tenor, and paid for it. At no time did he ever ask that it be given to him for free or that he get a discount. When it was completed, we asked our friend Kalei Gamiao (who was performing in Mr. Cosby's show that evening) to deliver it. This was simply to avoid us having to ship it to the mainland.

The same is true for other entertainers/musicians who have ordered and purchased ukuleles from us, including more recently Dwayne Johnson, Matthew Morrison, and Adam Sandler. They pay for our ukuleles just like evreyone else.

Mahalo for allowing me to clarify Kamaka's policy and practice. I will try to keep up with Ukulele Underground--its great to see the enthusiasm of all you ukulele fans! Keep strumming!

Ka makani mau loa (May the music live on),

Fred Jr.

Aloha Fred,
Welcome to the underground and to our forums....Glad to have you here..thank you for
clearing up mistakes made through the newspaper which led to misinformation here...
Mahala nui for putting out quality ukuleles for which I truely enjoy and I have very many of them..as I have played an collected throughout the years....
Ho'o lono ana i ke kani hone hone a ka Ukulele...Malama Pono and A Hui Ho!! Stan:music:

Last edited:
Mahalo, Fred!

I thought the whole thing was silly from the start...but I'm glad to see you giving your point of view here!

We love having the manufacturers as part of our little cyber-ohana - please do come back from time to time to shoot the breeze!

Aloha and mahalo Fred for clearing that mess up. Kamaka ukes are the best!!!!!
Welcome to the UU ohnana!!!

Hi Fred,
Thank you for writing in and clarifying the situation. When I was initially asked to submit the thread clarifying the facts, I was a bit hesitant only because I didn't want to reopen the can of worms from the previous thread. I did, as expected, get some negative fallout from doing so, but I am glad that I did. If only because as I stated previously, whether the truth was that it was a gift or purchased, you have every right to want the truth to be known. Some people were reluctant to believe you were really from Kamaka when you guys sent me the PM, but I felt the historical background and information you gave seemed to sync with what I have learned about your family's company. I am glad it all worked out and the facts have been clarified.

As I told you privately, my Kamaka is my most prized possession and I am proud to own a small piece of Hawaiian history and ukulele excellence.

Welcome to our forums, and I was happy to help set the record straight -- but it is far better coming from your mouth than mine.

Last edited:
Fred,

Glad to have you on board. I am probably like the vast majority on this board who could care less which manufacturers give away 'ukuleles and who they give them too. As far as I'm concerned its none of my business.

There are 100s of Kamaka owners on this board and numerous questions pop up once in a while so having you here will help a ton.

Honored to have you here, sir, and honored to own two of your instruments. The Aloha Spirit that builders like yourself express & live by is unique in most of the commercial music industry & just another reason that many of us fall in love all over again with these little "jumping fleas".

What is "a lot of negative fallout" - certainly one of the stranger chapters of UUdom, and it's made more creepy when we can fill in the blanks ourselves IMHO.

But none of that has anything to do with Mr. Kamaka here coming to UU! Please make yourself at home, and don't mind if we sometimes act a little strange. :)

Welcome to UU, Mr. Kamaka! It's an honor to see you here. I, for one, don't see why people made such a big deal of Mr. Cosby's uke, but for those who care, I'm glad the situation is now put to rest.

P.S. I love my treasured 2010 Kamaka pineapple. Thank you for making such wonderful instruments!

I thought this was going to be a "Kamaka ukulele giveaway"! :p

Oh, well...I'm blessed to already have one!

Welcome Fred!

~Michael

Welcome to UU!

Mahalo nui loa for your kind words of welcome to this Board. As I mentioned I will try to check in on a regular basis, and if there are any questions about Kamaka that come up, please email me immediately through kamakahawaii.com.

It is a pleasure to be in your company on this Board. Have a great rest of the evening uke fans. Whoever makes the ukulele you play, play it with your heart and your soul. Its not about who makes the ukulele you play, its about how happy you are when you play your ukulele.

Keep strummimg!
Fred Jr.

My ukes: 6-string Kamaka custom tenor with many beginner luthier errors (my own), 4-string Kamaka tenor (perfect in every way, but alas, not made by my unworthy hands)

"Whoever makes the ukulele you play, play it with your heart and soul. It's not about who makes the ukulele you play, it's about how happy you are when you play your ukulele." Appreciate the reminder, Fred. Yes, a real pleasure to have you here. Thanks for stopping by. Welcome and do come again.

Top Bottom