changing of preffered uke size.

HornedOne

Reaction score
hello uu,

today I made a realisation. I no longer prefer the tenor size XD
when I first started playing ukulele on my makala pineapple I felt rather cramped on the small fretboard. and as soon as I could gather the funds to get a tenor I got a kala fmt.
later I bought myself a tenor eleuke. and this weekend I bought a zebrawood tenor-ish uke. but in between purchasing the eleuke and the zebra-uke I got myself an old Brüko.

The scale lenght of this uke is shorter than my makala but it sounds so nice so I couldn't help myself but play it. and now I'm used to this size and my tenors feel big.

and while for finger picking I still prefer the tenor size I'm more of a strummer so Soprano is the size for me.

(shame I figured it out now, could have gotten a nice koa soprano for the money I spend on the tenors xD)

So tell me about your stories

great to have made a decision. I am still checking them out for myself. I have a soprano and a concert. I want a tenor next.

I loved my sorprano, but moved to the concert to 'try it out'. I instantly found it just that little bit less cramped on most chords and fell in love with it. The only thing i struggle with now is reaching the E (which i could do easily on soprano!) .
I did try a tenor, but i found it to big, though its possible i would get used to it.

I'm the same way, I do a lot of fingerpicking and solo arrangements on my soprano and even for that I feel it's the best :D. I guess it's just about how much time you spend playing it, people like Ohta-san and Roy Smeck do some amazing things with their sopranos. Although I definitely prefer 15 fret models.. they allow me to play stuff like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". If I had the money then I swear I'd have a million ukes by now haha.

I like them all, I've gone through phases.....now I like the soprano best....go figure..

I'm a strummer too, (learning to pick some). I started out on a borrowed inexpensive Mahalo soprano. My hands aren't small so when I went to purchase I went for the Makala MK-T. Then after a few months of playing the tenor I picked up the soprano again and was liking how easy it was to get around the fretboard. So When I saw a Kala KA-C for a reasonable price in at local guit shop three weeks ago my wife insisted I buy it. Since then I've been getting used to the smaller size and believe I'll stick with the concert size.
I would think you'd have no problem recouping much of your funds if you were to put them up in the Market place. You purchased good ukes.
DAP

the problem is selling them to people in the us. because of the shipping an taxes. or don't you have import taxes?

Definitely love the concert scale for strumming, but not so much for picking. Prefer tenor for that. Didn't think I'd want to do that much picking so when I bought my "really good" uke I bought a concert. A funny thing happened. I bought a mainland tenor and found myself playing that more than I expected, though I really do like the "ukey" sound of a smaller body better - and the concert scale is still my favorite for strumming.

So, now I "have to have" a concert scale neck on a soprano body - just waiting to find the right one and the money together in the same place at the same time. LOL

John

I am liking the soprano best right now. I hope I don't keep changing because I am collecting sopranos and will probably never give a concert anyway lol.

the problem is selling them to people in the us. because of the shipping an taxes. or don't you have import taxes?
I don't know about import taxes. I've not purchased from overseas. Perhaps someone has the answer.

Soprano all the way. Although I'd like a concert just to have one--and why not a Collings? :)

I prefer sopranos and concerts. I don't have a tenor, but have played them, and they sound less "ukey" to me. JEEZ! PDXUKE, you've got it bad for a Collings. And, why not ... and why not get me one too. Oh no! It's contagious!

Import duties kick in at $200. On the customs slip, you specify the value of your shipment. Customs agents don't monitor eBay or know how much your ukulele is worth.

Recently I've been thinking I would enjoy a soprano, but really I have no problems with my concert. I like concerts cuz they still sound bright and ukish but with a little rounder tone....yes I'm quite sure I enjoy concerts the best ;)

Like them all, play all of them. Concert probably most comfortable overall to play now that my hands have aged along with me and aren't as nimble as they used to be.

I recently got ahold of a Koaloha concert that I have fallen in love with. I am having a MiSi pickup installed in it tomorrow. My Pono Tenor is gathering a little dust. I love em both but for strumming I like the Concert and for picking, give me the Tenor.

The cool thing about uke is all the variation you get in the sizes. It really helps justify UAS. The first uke I ever heard was a Kamaka concert (didn't know it at the time). So naturally I started with a soprano, but a good one, a Koaloha. But there was a lot of "tenor is THE size" type thing going on, so I tried a Pono PTO. Too big. Since then I've had various concert ukes and it's pretty clear that I prefer that size. I've been on a quest to find a perfect concert. Still looking.

The cool thing about uke is all the variation you get in the sizes. It really helps justify UAS. The first uke I ever heard was a Kamaka concert (didn't know it at the time). So naturally I started with a soprano, but a good one, a Koaloha. But there was a lot of "tenor is THE size" type thing going on, so I tried a Pono PTO. Too big. Since then I've had various concert ukes and it's pretty clear that I prefer that size. I've been on a quest to find a perfect concert. Still looking.

Good luck! :D I hope you can find that perfect concert. I'd love to own my perfect soprano someday as well, until then I'm quite content playing the one I have. I know what you mean about the tenor hype though, I think people like Jake S. really helped to enforce that image. That Koaloha soprano must sound pretty nice btw :D

When I first started to play, my fingers felt too big for my soprano. So, I bought a tenor. Recently went back to the soprano as my favorite, maybe my fingers got smaller. It feels very comfortable now!

Same here! The difficulty for me was getting used to such a small neck, I've played guitar for so long that a soprano neck felt impossible to navigate with ease. I bought a tenor, felt much easier.. ended up in a music shop where I played a soprano again, sold my tenor then and it's been sopranos ever since! I guess it was about gradual steps down for me: Guitar Fretboard>Tenor>Soprano :D.

Top Bottom