Looking for Hawaiian Koa concert To Buy or Trade

bueller

Reaction score
I am looking for a koa concert ukulele. Would prefer something Hawaiian made, but my biggest preference is something Koa. I would like to stay around $500 but am not completely maxed out at that price....
If it helps I have a new Kala KA-KTG-CT Tenor that I purchased from MGM 2 weeks ago. Hasn't been played more than 6 times (as I am still playing my current Hula Uke concert a majority of the time). The Kala is perfect - upgraded Aquila strings and the supurb MGM set-up. Come with a Uke Crazy case and I've been storing with humidifiers to keep it all good.
So if someone has something for sale or would be interested in a trade I'm all ears.

Check out Mele Ukuleles in Maui Hawaii. www.meleukulele.com
They have a solid Koa wood Concert for $399.

I agree here. It will be brand new and though it isn't made in Hawaii, it has the final set up/assembly on Maui. Best import IMO. I ahve owned many Meles and even though I own 3 koalohas, my current Mele gets mopre play time than any other uke I own.

Also, if you would like to save a little money, you can get a solid koa top/mahogany back and sides.

If you are dead set on hawaiian made, then I'd look into Keli'i, I believe you can get a brand new one with in your price range.

I think that SpecialMike has one of those Kanilea made Lanikais for sale. I'll check.

I agree here. It will be brand new and though it isn't made in Hawaii, it has the final set up/assembly on Maui. Best import IMO. I ahve owned many Meles and even though I own 3 koalohas, my current Mele gets mopre play time than any other uke I own.

Also, if you would like to save a little money, you can get a solid koa top/mahogany back and sides.

If you are dead set on hawaiian made, then I'd look into Keli'i, I believe you can get a brand new one with in your price range.

I think that SpecialMike has one of those Kanilea made Lanikais for sale. I'll check.

Here is the link: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...-Concert-Ukulele-w-CASE&highlight=specialmike

Those sopranos ukes look just like the Kala solid koa ukes. I wonder if these are from the same factory.

I bought it because it was cheapest, did some research and he seemed the best user. There is a couple of others selling cheap ones also, however apparently they are not as careful drying out the wood and they end up falling apart/cracking and the inlay falls out.
Only complaint i had (if you can call it that) was the pegs had the string layered, so i restrung it and it was fine.

I picked up a solid Koa off ebay that seems pretty decent for cheaper chinese style product. I have seen a few bad things from various other traders, but this one seems to be decent http://myworld.ebay.com/taisamlu/
I got a concert one, and it sounds great for $150USD

I think those are actually acacia or somethng. Not sure that is pretty darn cheap but I have read too much bad stuff about those to risk it.

I bought it because it was cheapest, did some research and he seemed the best user. There is a couple of others selling cheap ones also, however apparently they are not as careful drying out the wood and they end up falling apart/cracking and the inlay falls out.
Only complaint i had (if you can call it that) was the pegs had the string layered, so i restrung it and it was fine.

how long have you had it?

I think those are actually acacia or somethng. Not sure that is pretty darn cheap but I have read too much bad stuff about those to risk it.

It may be, but i expected to get what i paid for and was happily surprised. I also read a fair bit both good and bad, and talked to a couple board members who have them also without problem. Of the people whining elsewhere on the web, most just didn't seem to know basic care (humidify!) for this user. The other users selling cheaper ones had bigger problems.
I'm going to eventually get a really nice one, but until i have more spare money this is happily my main Uke :D

Yes, the Kala solid koa sopranos were from Larrivee stock.

It may be, but i expected to get what i paid for and was happily surprised. I also read a fair bit both good and bad, and talked to a couple board members who have them also without problem. Of the people whining elsewhere on the web, most just didn't seem to know basic care (humidify!) for this user. The other users selling cheaper ones had bigger problems.
I'm going to eventually get a really nice one, but until i have more spare money this is happily my main Uke :D

many years ago, ok back in 2006 when i was looking to buy my first koa uke, I came across those and decided not to buy one b/c of the price difference. Then I heard of people having all the bad luck but the most recent press here on UU has all been positive. They are pretty neat looking ukes. Hopefully you got a good one. Keep us in the loop. It would be nice to know how they hold up over time.

how long have you had it?

Not long yet, a few weeks. I gave it a super good going over and poking when i got it, checking for loose inlay or other faults and found none. I talked to DoctorFinlay who has one and he has no problems
DoctorFinlay said:
Sorry just noticed your msg! I have had no probs with my taisamlu uke, although I do keep a humidifier in the case. It still sounds and looks as good as it did when I first bought it. Hope that puts your mind at rest! Enjoy!

I currently have a GREAT Solid Koa Luthiermade Concert for sale. I am based in London UK and the maker is a great friend of mine Phil Collins, we studied together at university making instruments.

Phil Collins :
BOOKMATCHED SOLID FLAME KOA (HAWIIAN) back, sides and top & headplate!
True Mahogany neck
Snakewood binding B/F
Snakewood single band rosette
Wenge fingerboard

A True beauty made by a talented young luthier in London, England!

Price is $700 excl. postage which will be around $40. (Worldwide).
message me if you are interested in pictures!
thanks
Joe Spraggan (BA Musical Instrument Technology)

Last edited:
can you post/pm some pics and a sound sample of that ukulele?

Hey, here are some pictures.
I know they aren't perfect forUU but they are the only ones I have, I'll take some more detailed pics tomorow with the UU sign date etc.
I'll also get a sound clip recorded too!

It really is a great looking and sounding Uke!

uke6.jpg

uke5.jpg

uke4.jpg

uke3.jpg

Joe

Top Bottom