200 bucks :/

lordlogan

Reaction score
So my birthday is coming up and i want to try my hand at bass but i need to know the best bass i could get with 200 bucks and the amp would be included in the 200

i know 200 isn't a lot for an amp and a guitar but what is the best i can get for 200?

Well, sadly, $200 isn't much to spend. You are not going to be happy with any amp at at that price point. The best you can hope for is for it to make noise so you can hear that you are in tune.
If you know anything about basses, and you have a pawnshop nearby, you can get some decent deals that way.

If you don't...here is a reasonable option. The bass will be pretty decent...the amp will not do much more than make noise, but you can start. You'll even have money left over to start saving for a better amp.

http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa1pkwt.html

There is a sunburst finish at that price too.

You can learn a lot more on Talkbass. Do a search for Essex, it's the only way TB's search engine can look for info on these.

I've had several, still have one. Worth the money.

thanks guys
although

i do have an electric gutar amp but heard that using it with a bass isn't a good idea?

Go to GC (or local pawn shop) and check out their used gear. If you want a new bass, get the Rondo and buy a used amp.

whats the difference between the guitar in the previous link and http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2rnpk3ts.html or is it just color?

You'll note that the pickup arrangement is different.

The first one is known as a Precision bass. It has one split pickup. A lot of classic rock sounds in there once you know how to get it out. Sounds absolutely great with flatwound strings on it. Thing classic Motown sound. A lot players swear by them and I love mine. Do a search on youtube for sound samples.

The one you linked to is a jazz bass. It has two pickups--known as single coil pickups. You can adjust the sound to hear one, the other, or a blend of both depending on what you want to hear. Can go from kinda thumpy in the front pickup to really snappy and snarly with the back pickup (known as the bridge pickup.) Fairly common to run both up full since each can hum if used individually. That has to do with the single coil pickups (you'll figure all that out later as you spend more time with the instrument.)

Usually the neck in the Jazz is just a little bit thinner than the neck on a Precision. Neither is right or wrong...they just are what they are. I like both, but you'll likely develop a preference for one or the other.

If you have a store near you, go hold one of each. Slide your hand up and down keeping your thumb no higher than half way up the back of the neck. Decide which is most comfortable and buy the one you want.

Have fun!

You'll note that the pickup arrangement is different.

The first one is known as a Precision bass. It has one split pickup. A lot of classic rock sounds in there once you know how to get it out. Sounds absolutely great with flatwound strings on it. Thing classic Motown sound. A lot players swear by them and I love mine. Do a search on youtube for sound samples.

The one you linked to is a jazz bass. It has two pickups--known as single coil pickups. You can adjust the sound to hear one, the other, or a blend of both depending on what you want to hear. Can go from kinda thumpy in the front pickup to really snappy and snarly with the back pickup (known as the bridge pickup.) Fairly common to run both up full since each can hum if used individually. That has to do with the single coil pickups (you'll figure all that out later as you spend more time with the instrument.)

Usually the neck in the Jazz is just a little bit thinner than the neck on a Precision. Neither is right or wrong...they just are what they are. I like both, but you'll likely develop a preference for one or the other.

If you have a store near you, go hold one of each. Slide your hand up and down keeping your thumb no higher than half way up the back of the neck. Decide which is most comfortable and buy the one you want.

Have fun!

i think i'm going to be moseying down to a guitar center sometime this week to look at basses and ukuleles and decide weither i like any of their ukes enough to forget about getting a bass right now

I would suggest this,
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Edge-09-Bass-and-Amp-Pack-105178685-i1401242.gc

this will do exactly what you want, includes bass and amp. granted, its not the best bass and amp made but it will be livable till you figure out if you want to keep going in the low end. Words of warning: STAY AWAY FROM ROUGE BASSES!!!! I started on a Rogue and its seriously one of the worst experiences of my life. i really wish i would have just saved up and gotten a better first bass.

hopefully you will enjoy your purchase whatever you choose to do.

update i have 1 day to choose but 300 dollars to spend hurry get back to me! best guitar& amp ?!

Last edited:
Have you checked user reviews at Harmony Central against what's available to you?

I don't think the basic advice is going to change. It's really worth a field trip down there to see what your preferences are.

ok... im gonna spell this out for you. if you are just looking for a taste to see if you like bass for one: Go to Guitar Center they have a warranty that you can return items for 30 days i believe.

number 2
get this bass. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR100EX-Soundgear-Bass-Guitar-105652721-i1392356.gc it has the best reviews sub 200 bucks

get this amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-MAX-126-Bass-Practice-Combo-104003462-i1145641.gc

dont forget to get a Strap and a Cable. maybe a gigbag if your feeling saucy... if all else fails, ASK SOMEONE WHO WORKS THERE!

your questions have been answered.

Ibanez is a fave among bass players. My husband plays this 1973 model that his brother left him. He got it, but Anders was always the one who played it. He left the amp-buying to me because he hates shopping of any kind, but he did give the request of brand that would be good for home use: Peavey.

Now you'll get snobs who say that you have to pay more, but this model here, they did such a good job copying Rickenbacker, that firstly, some prefer this to the real thing, and second, Rickenbacker STILL goes after 2nd hand sales of these. The thing was made in the early 70s and they're still pissed about it.

The one linked isn't the same as this model, but I wanted to show you that they have been doing good and affordable basses for a while now. This model has no issues, it's as perfect as when it was bought.

('scuse the laundry in the background. It does help humidity control!)

n1619877123_46768_5531.jpg

The one my husband has, has Ibanez still on the headstock. It was a lot of fun doing the research on it to track down when it was made. It's not younger than '73. Maybe back in the day, even copies had to be awesome. :)

ok... im gonna spell this out for you. if you are just looking for a taste to see if you like bass for one: Go to Guitar Center they have a warranty that you can return items for 30 days i believe.

number 2
get this bass. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR100EX-Soundgear-Bass-Guitar-105652721-i1392356.gc it has the best reviews sub 200 bucks

get this amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-MAX-126-Bass-Practice-Combo-104003462-i1145641.gc

dont forget to get a Strap and a Cable. maybe a gigbag if your feeling saucy... if all else fails, ASK SOMEONE WHO WORKS THERE!

your questions have been answered.

:D thank you

i will be beggining my bass playing journey soon any advice on first things to learn or anything?

Anders suggested a bass for beginners book "Like we all did." And House of the Rising Sun might be a good first song. It's also a good baseline to see how far you've come. As you get better, you add more to it. It's true of guitar, keyboard, and uke too, with the same song.

Anders suggested a bass for beginners book "Like we all did." And House of the Rising Sun might be a good first song. It's also a good baseline to see how far you've come. As you get better, you add more to it. It's true of guitar, keyboard, and uke too, with the same song.

Thank you :)

Top Bottom