PDA

View Full Version : Nasty storm heading for Cairns Australia

Timbuck
02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
I hope "Allen" has made his workshop storm proof:(...there will be a lot of trees down when it's over.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12322154

SweetWaterBlue
02-01-2011, 12:21 PM
That sounds bad. I grew up in Miami Florida. The little ones were fun when I was a kid, but this one doesn't sound like something to ignore. My thoughts will be with them.

Allen
02-01-2011, 12:42 PM
To put a not too fine point on it, we are all very very sh#t scared. It's looking to be a high category 5 now. The largest cyclone to ever hit Australia and the first to ever hit such a heavily settled area.

Everything that can be moved inside has been. Windows taped up. Whirly gigs on roofs have been bagged and taped up. Roller doors have been bolted down and my work bench and table saws pushed up against them in the shed. My 4x4 Nissan parked across the front of my twin garage doors.

Winds estimated to be up to 320 km/h and a tidal surge coming in front of the cyclone to coincide with the high tide at around 9 - 10 pm local time. We are expecting the storm winds to last a full 24 hours. Tidal surge estimated from 2 to 4 meters depending on where your located. That pretty puts most of Cairns proper under water.

Breeze is picking up now to a good stiff wind at 9:30am local time. By noon they expect winds to 100 km/h and it just gets worse from there. All roads will be closed from around noon. Many already have been closed.

Expecting rain in the 700 - 800 mm in the next 24 hours.

Will let you know how it goes. Most likely going to be loosing all power and communications during the storm and will take some time to reinstate.

We've got lots of food and fresh water and mattresses to hide under.

didgeridoo2
02-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Best of luck to ya, Allen. Take every precaution. I was in Miami during Hurricane Andrew and we worked hard and didn't have too much damage, but lots of folks around us did.

whetu
02-01-2011, 02:34 PM
To put a not too fine point on it, we are all very very sh#t scared. It's looking to be a high category 5 now. The largest cyclone to ever hit Australia and the first to ever hit such a heavily settled area.

I'd be scared too mate, Tanya was a baby compared to this. Tracy was a category 4 and look at the mayhem she caused :(

All the best

Allen
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
The weather station on Willis Island has been taken out a little while ago. Eye of the cyclone is 35km across and will take an hour to cross the coast when it hits land. Looks like that is going to happen south of Cairns, between Innisfail and Cardwell they just said on the update. That's about 60 to 120 km south of my place.

It's now getting very gusty and the birds are wondering what's going on. They are sounding quite panicked.

France
02-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Take care Allen. Well it's about time we had another disaster......not.

UkeforJC
02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I hope everything is ok there.
Take care Allen..

Ronnie Aloha
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Take care buddy. My thoughts are with you and your fellow Aussies.

misty
02-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Allen, we are thinking of you guys from here in Brisbane! I ordered my ukulele from Music City Cairns too, but I am not worried about when it will ship because the most important thing is for you guys all to be safe. I think that Gabby from Music City Cairns is part of this forum too.

Allen
02-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Music City is right in the CBD and if things go as anticipated, they are most likely going to get very wet. The whole place isn't more than a meter or two at best above high tide.

It's the waiting that's getting really nerve wracking now. Have about 8 more hours before Yasi is scheduled for land fall.

misty
02-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Well take care and be sensible. I hope by some miracle it is not as bad as they think it will be. :(

Liam Ryan
02-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Although I live closer to the Cairns CBD than Allen I've evacuated to a mate's place in the next valley. It's eerily quiet here, just a bit of a shower. My house in town has all windows and doors either boarded up or screw/nailed shut. the house and contents are fully insured so not worth panicking about. Allen's not one to do things in halves so I'm sure he'll be fine. I spent about 20hrs preparing so what more can you do?

Cabin fever is setting in. Still got til tomorrow. Thank god still got internet and electricity and the cricket's on. And a quiet beer to calm the nerves. I'm not worried I'll be hurt. Just that my poor liitle shack in town will be ok

Allen
02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Knocked the top of a cold one too Liam. Might as well enjoy them while they're cold, 'cause the power's not likely to last.

Got a big gen set to plug into my power box?

Getting might gusty here now folks.

Liam Ryan
02-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Knocked the top of a cold one too Liam. Might as well enjoy them while they're cold, 'cause the power's not likely to last.

Got a big gen set to plug into my power box?

Getting might gusty here now folks.

You've got a big enough switch board that if you plug a big one in and leave the main switch on you could power the street:).

Don't really do that folks. v dangerous.

couple of cold ones essential. not too many though. might not be able to get any for a few days. rationing is a must:)

Allen
02-01-2011, 11:14 PM
I just stepped outside to see what was going on. Smells of fresh cut lawn from all the greenery being shredded off of the trees I suppose. Pitch black now so don't see much other than what is blowing past your nose.

Roof still intact, power still on and lets hope it stays that way.

misty
02-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Stay safe! It will be a long night. SEQ is thinking of you, FNQ!

mm stan
02-02-2011, 03:09 AM
I hope all is well down there....Take Care and God's blessings!!! keep us informed!!!

Harold O.
02-02-2011, 03:56 AM
That's not something to trifle with. Were the recent floods near your area? My Australian geography is a bit rusty but I saw a lot of flooding videos last month.

Allen
02-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Floods were down in the south east. About 1,500 km away.

It's 6am and I just had a walk around the yard. Looks like we faired incredibly well. The street and yard are littered with debris. My lemon tree has been almost stripped of leaves and fruit. Gardens are battered but house, shed and fences look to be undamaged. My patio roof which is translucent corrugated material has pieces missing here and there and will need to be replaced.

Now some days of clean up and putting things back in place. Small price to pay for being spared from what it could have been

erich@muttcrew.net
02-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Amen. Glad to hear you're OK.

The news broadcasts here in Europe were full of reports and vids of the storm. Funny thing is, the German weather channel reported "light thunder storms on the East coast of Australia" - switch the channel and you see a roaring hurricane.

misty
02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Allen, I am so glad that you fared so well! I hope that everyone in that area can stay the same.

The floods were in MY part of Queensland. :( Queensland is huge. It would take 18 hours to drive from where I live to roughly where Allen lives.

Allen
02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
My neighbours fence is in his pool. We fished it out this morning. I took a drive into town and there's pretty wide spread damage to fence and trees down everywhere but I didn't see any extensive damage to buildings.

Cairns got incredibly luck this time around.

casarole45
02-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Glad to hear it. Heart goes out to all the others out there though also in the worse hit areas.

Big Bob
02-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Glad to hear you are ok.The wife and I watched ABC News 24 online all day.We were getting current news on what was going on downunder.

Harold O.
02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
My neighbours fence is in his pool. We fished it out this morning. I took a drive into town and there's pretty wide spread damage to fence and trees down everywhere but I didn't see any extensive damage to buildings.

Cairns got incredibly luck this time around.

It's easy to forget how we (civilization) has come sometimes. Had YASI come through 100 years ago, the wooden buildings would not have withstood nearly as well as the modern city.

Liam Ryan
02-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Just wanted to touch base and say that I made it through safe and sound. the house is fine and the uke building should be back up and running within a day or two. Thanks to all well wishers. If the cyclone had have hit dead on Cairns I think the damage bill and injury toll would be significantly greater. Cold comfort to those who did get hit though. My best wishes are with them.