Cool little experience tonight I thought I'd share

mythidiot

Reaction score
I just had the coolest experience and had to share.

I'm not great at the ukulele. At best, I can play a couple of songs almost all the way through. Tonight I was waiting in the lobby and practicing a song I'm trying to learn while I waited and I noticed after a little while a pair of eyes peaking from behind a door. I smiled and kept playing and a young teenage boy came out and just stared at me. Then he got really excited and started yelling for people to come and watch (by the way he spoke and gestured, I gathered he was mentally handicapped)

He left, presumably to go get people to come watch and came back a few minutes later by himself and sat on the couch across from me and just stared, occasionally yelling passerbys to stay and watch (no one else was interested in listening and were probably a little uncomfortable with my singing indoors to myself). I offered to let him play and he declined and loudly told me to keep playing. Anywho, there's no point to this story other than I love that my terrible playing made this kids day. It was very neat to see how excited he was.

Anyone else have a cool uke story? I'd love to hear it.

The cool and happy factor just keeps getting bigger for me! Thanks for sharing. Life can be hard - why not make a difference by making others smile?

lovely story! The uke is a happy instrument!

His mother might not be happy with you :) He will probably bug her to death now for a Uke. Nice way to spread the fever!! Lozark Nice story by the way.

Aloha Mythidiot,
Isn't a wonderful feeling to share your passion to others...I'm sure you made his day!! Happy Strummings!! MM Stan...

That IS cool my friend. I've had similar things but with younger kids, but to find a young disabled teen get excited over music and the uke specifically is way cool. Making an impact is what it's all about brudda..

Music can cut through to the heart no matter what the instrument is. Went to see a 90 year old on his death bed. He used to come to a jam i used to play at and just listen. He always requested I do a certain song for him. Anyway, when I visited the rest home he had been unconscious for days and on deaths door. I Played that song anyway just because I was there. He actually got a big smile on his face and opened his eyes looked at me and I knew he knew. It was amazing. He died two days later. Am very glad I went when I did. Music can really bless people. Congrats on having such a special moment.

I love playing the uke, but I really love when other people are touched by it.
...when I visited the rest home he had been unconscious for days and on deaths door. I Played that song anyway just because I was there. He actually got a big smile on his face and opened his eyes looked at me and I knew he knew. It was amazing. He died two days later. Am very glad I went when I did. Music can really bless people...
Great story, thanks for sharing.

That's a pretty touching story. The interesting thing is that many (not all, let's not start stereotypes, here) who are mentally handicapped or autistic can become amazing musicians if given the opportunity. It's a pretty good chance that if he reacted that strongly to your playing he could be one of those. I remember many years ago seeing a guy in his early twenties who could not even tie his own shoes - but he could play long, difficult classical piano pieces from memory and with tremendous expressiveness.

John

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story! Awesome!! I love this thread and the others like it.. I wish more people would spread JOY!

These are both beautiful stories. My plan is to play for "captive audiences" someday, nursing home patients. I know of a place where 1 ward is all sick children... it broke my heart to do my nursing clinicals there, I'd love to go back with my ukulele, and maybe some friends, and see if we can light up thier little faces

Top Bottom