Why ukuleles rock!

Helms

Reaction score
Hey there!
Just had an amazing experience I want to share!
I'm on my last year of what we call 'Gymnasium' in Denmark (Similar to High School).
We've got several education-"directions" and I've chosen to focus mainly on music and drama. Therefore I will have to go to two music examns at the end of the semester. A group exam and an individual exam. At the individual exam I have to play an instrument to show my skills and to let them know my music-level - to show which techniques I master.
When I told my teacher I wanted to play the ukulele he laughed at me. "Are you serious?" - And he really thought I was joking. He told me to bring the uke to school and play for him, before he would allow me to use the Uke as my instrument to the individual exam.

I brought it, and told him that he probably would be surprised and that everyone tends to underrate the uke on forehand without really knowing what it's capable of.
I played 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps', and once I was done he was so surprised and he was really stunned. He told me that if he were to grade me now I would be graded A. He told me that I had to play for the entire school (around 1000 students) - so all in all it was a really great experience!

So why does ukuleles rock? Because EVERYONE expects nothing from it, and with a little practice you can conquer everyone's heart with it.

During your evaluations you'll stick out from the rest because your playing something very unique. If you were playing a guitar or piano it would very difficult to become noticed. Good luck! Uke saved the world!

Top Bottom