Strumming help

EddyAu

Reaction score
Hey guys, i just started playing the ukulele and im having trouble strumming. im trying to use my index finger to strum but i keep getting caught on the G chord. when i strum lightly over the top of the strings i feel like theres not enough sound. is it just something that comes with time or am i doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance

I let my nails grow and that helped. Could watch some youtubes of folks strumming too to get input on it.

yea, ive been watching the clip from Hawaii music supply. but i just dont get how he gets such a clear sound. because when i strum using my finger i get really loud G chord and A chords and the C and E chords are really soft.
Cheers

Could be a couple of things. With a beginner uke, often the action is set really high so open chords are hard to play without tripping over the strings. Likewise, you've got to squeeze to get the barre chords to sound, and they're often less loud.

The remedy for this is two-fold: lower the action of your strings by sanding the nut or bridge. As you're just starting out, you probably won't want to do this yourself. Have a knowledgeable friend take it on - if its a cheaper uke, having a luthier do it will cost more than the uke itself.

Secondly, practice. It doesn't feel natural, but keep at it. You'll get stronger at strumming and also at fretting the chords, which will correct some of the volume issue.

What uke are you playing? You may find its more satisfying to upgrade to a better instrument.

im playing a really cheap uke that i bought off ebay, i live in australia and we dont have many guitar shops around. im thinking of buying a better uke in a couple of weeks when i get better at playing off Music Guy Mike off ebay. Another question. which part of your index finger do you use to strum?
Thanks

Eddy - I"m not a master strummer either as I've only been consistently playing for just over a month. But 2 things have helped my learning curve. #1 watch videos..whether it be the Uke Lesson videos on UU or just of good players playing. It will help you get an idea of what your strumming hand should be doing.
Also the other thing that helped me is remember that the strum is all in the wrist. Not your arm. Watch some videos and you will see. The forearm stays stationary and it's the wrist action that completes the strum.

Another question. which part of your index finger do you use to strum?
Thanks

On the down strum the index finger nail strikes against the strings. On the up strum, the "meat" part of the index finger strikes the strings. Where are you strumming the strings? Try strumming at the spot on the uke where the fret board meets the body. It is best not to strum over the sound hole. It sounds to me like you are doing that as the strings closest to you (g & c) are getting hit harder by your finger and the other strings are being hit lighter.

Hope this helps!!!

ahk. im kinda getting the hang of it now. cheers.

You need to brush the strings, simply graze over them. Don't hack or force it. The only thing you're doing is touching them and sliding your finger over them. The grooves/nail on your finger is enough to grab onto them. Use your thumb for down and index for up OR put the thumb and index finger together as if holding a plectrum and twist your wrist away from the strings when strumming up or down, the motion should be akin to a figure 8 (doesn't need to be perfect). The best thing to remember is that it should feel comfortable. If it doesn't then you probably need to adjust something.

Last edited:
ahk coolios. whats like a super simple song that i could play. it would be like the first thing i will learn. could you guys give me some suggestions and perhaps some instructions on the strum patterns and stuff.
cheers

ahk coolios. whats like a super simple song that i could play. it would be like the first thing i will learn. could you guys give me some suggestions and perhaps some instructions on the strum patterns and stuff.
cheers

I wouldn't pick any particular song. Rather, I would choose three basic chords that sound good together (Am, G, F, G is a nice progression for example) and make up your own strumming pattern. Just keep it consistent among the chords. Literally, just think of a beat and apply it to the strums (don't worry about what's up or down... do what comes naturally).

Aloha Eddyau,
I'd try childrens nursery rhymes because you know the song and it's easy chord couple of chords...

ahk. cool, do you know any sites where i would be able to find some?

Top Bottom