PDA

View Full Version : snow day! and thank you, Sukie!

Tuesday
02-02-2011, 05:32 AM
I'm a grad student, so I rarely get days off, but today I have the whole day to do whatever. I should be working on my thesis, but instead I've spent most of the morning uke-ing --- with two new uke books thanks to Sukie (who posted a couple of weeks ago about having some books to give away). Learning to fingerpick is like doing research, right?

So: Thank you Sukie! And I hope everyone's enjoying the snow (even though it's blowing sideways and there's an inch of ice already on the ground -- it's good uke weather!).

bueller
02-02-2011, 05:37 AM
Absent the grad school I'm in the same boat. 5' drifts in my driveway. I go out...shovel....and come in for a breather only to get on UU again. What a great day off!!!!

DAPuke
02-02-2011, 05:48 AM
I'm a grad student, so I rarely get days off, but today I have the whole day to do whatever. I should be working on my thesis, but instead I've spent most of the morning uke-ing --- with two new uke books thanks to Sukie (who posted a couple of weeks ago about having some books to give away). Learning to fingerpick is like doing research, right?

So: Thank you Sukie! And I hope everyone's enjoying the snow (even though it's blowing sideways and there's an inch of ice already on the ground -- it's good uke weather!).Good for you, you've got your priorities straight. There is never enough uke time. Yay Sukie, too!

sukie
02-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I want a snow day! Sounds like fun. Learning to fingerpicking is indeed research. When I was in art school, I had a teacher for my color class. We had to mix paints together in gradients using only 10 to 12 tones. It was holy hell. Sorry, my point was -- He told us that as an artist we didn't read books for research. Our painting was research. That was how we learned.

cb56
02-02-2011, 11:16 AM
sukie sent me the "Learn Hawaiian ukulele" book. I didn't realize this was a university of hawaii book. I've really been enjoying it. I'll turn it over to my step daughters when I'm through. They're working on basic chords right now.

PSYS
02-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Glad to see everyone got some well-needed rest and relaxation in today because of the snow!! =) Unfortunately, I'm just north of the chaos here in Oshkosh, Wisconsin so we had blizzard conditions that blew snow everywhere... but nothing new, thank goodness!!

Be safe, everyone!!

Nickie
02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Of course learning to finger pick is research. It's just a little harder and more interesting.

No snow here, but I'm still goofing off!