I took down my YouTube account...

NatalieS

Reaction score
FYI guys, I took down my youtube account. I only had a handful of uke videos on there, but... Long story short, there's been a lot of crime in my neighborhood and last night someone put a smoke bomb on my porch. We don't know if the person/people are targeting certain people, and I thought I should be safe and take my face off the internet for the time being. I'm moving in April, and can't wait to get out of here.

Be safe and smart on the internet, everyone!

Be safe Natalie... Can't wait till you move either. My Mom lives in Florida and I wish she would move out of there too....

I feel like there are a lot of crazy people in Florida, but I do love living here (my current town-- not so much). The next city should be much safer, I'm just counting down the days til the move. :)

My Mom lives in a gated community, still her home and others were invaded... can't people just be nice and keep to themselves!? It's heart breaking!

Natalie,
I hope everything is ok. The Pono is really starting to open up. Thanks again for the sale.
Reggie

Aloha Natalie,
Sorry to hear the sad news, When you don't feel safe, or even at home or feel like you're being targeted for a robbery, it's time to move....for sure, the sooner the better!! not worth the anxieties..
I'm not sure it's internet related, but sad to see your you tube account gone girl....You're right better be safe than sorry, know when to change things around..I hope everything works
out well for you and it was just a kids prank or playing around.. Take Care and God's Blessings... MM Stan

Sounds like a good time to move. I remember my old apartment, and how the area got worse and worse, until one day my husband was walking down our street carrying a pizza home, and was robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight. That was the last straw, and any hesitation he might have had about moving went away.

Just keep a look-out during your last few months, and try and move everything as swiftly as possible. Another UU member was recently burgled during a move, and lost his ukulele! Make sure there is someone watching your stuff as the van is loaded.

–Lori

Hi Natalie, How frightening. Sorry to hear but I am glad you didn't get hurt.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the deal with Florida? I have images of sun, surf and good times. Sounds like a cracked out ghetto crime town. Keep safe Natalie.

Thanks for the comments, stories, and well wishes everyone. It makes me sad, frustrated, scared, and angry by turns to know that there are so many bad people out there. The sad news is that my neighborhood really is a normal neighborhood for this city... there just happens to be crime in most every neighborhood. I agree with you, Stan, that I don't think my YT videos really put me at risk, I just want to be as safe as I can until I get out of this place!

Roxhum, you'd be proud to know my two corgis woke me up last night because they knew something was wrong. I wouldn't have found the smoke bomb if it wasn't for them!

BTW, not really applicable to YouTube videos - but one of the best ways you can protect yourself on Spacebook (my little joke) and such is to never upload a photograph directly from a camera, and especially not from a phone, where GPS data may be embedded in the metadata of the image file. Instead, load the image on your computer and display it, then do a screen capture and save that as a new image file. There are other ways to strip metadata from an image, but that is the easiest way for someone without the right software or knowhow to ensure that there is no metadata attached to the images they upload to the internet.

John

Thanks for the comments, stories, and well wishes everyone. It makes me sad, frustrated, scared, and angry by turns to know that there are so many bad people out there. The sad news is that my neighborhood really is a normal neighborhood for this city... there just happens to be crime in most every neighborhood. I agree with you, Stan, that I don't think my YT videos really put me at risk, I just want to be as safe as I can until I get out of this place!

Roxhum, you'd be proud to know my two corgis woke me up last night because they knew something was wrong. I wouldn't have found the smoke bomb if it wasn't for them!

It is scary Natalie.. My Mom lives in an upscale suburb of Orlando, in a gated community. She woke up in the middle of the night with a gun in her face.. I will spare the rest of the details, but point being. We all have to be careful. I love dogs for that sort of thing....

OldePhart thanks for the tips.. I am so lazy about uploading everything right from my phone.. I barely use my fabulous Nikon camera these days! Guess I better make some changes huh?

Sorry to hear that.We had the privilidge to spend 6 winters in Florida.a few years ago (Canadian snowbirds)and we just loved it.There were places we did not feel safe but that is pretty well everywhere you go now days.Good luck and be cautious .

When you don't feel safe, or even at home or feel like you're being targeted for a robbery, it's time to move....for sure, the sooner the better!! not worth the anxieties..
But for some of us, moving is not an option. We've lived here over 20 years and own our home outright. Yay for no mortgage/rent! (Just taxes, insurance, utilities, upkeep, and the inevitable repairs that come with owning a 100-year-old house, etc. :rolleyes:) But we can't just up and move.

There's a lot of gang activity in the neighborhood, and we're used to hearing police helicopters. A few months ago I went out to water the front lawn and saw officers a few houses down with guns drawn yelling at someone to get on the ground. Nothing on the news or anything I could find online about it, so the next day I called the police. I was greatly relieved when the officer told me it was the takedown from a stolen car pursuit that originated miles away.

Its a shame what happend to you but im glad that your ok. Keep safe.

Top Bottom