Need Soprano with Wide neck

brUKEman

Reaction score
Due to my chubby fingers I'm looking for a Soprano with a little wider neck.
Do they make such a thing or are all the necks pretty much the same width.

pretty sure kanilea ukes all have 1.5 inch nut width. that should give you a bit of space!

me, i came from a kanilea and thought 1.5 was the dope but now i'm playing wtih a 1 3/8 inch neck... have totally adjusted and don't even think about it anymore...
k

Check out Sprucehouse

Fleas and flukes have nice wide necks. Also Black Bear's do too, but they are a tad more expensive!

I agree about both the Kanile'a and the Flea. The Flea has a nice chunky neck.

Watch the string spacing as well, a Koaloha has a wide neck with a narrow string spacing. Kanilea does have a wide neck.

That's one thing I love about my KoAloha Soprano - its the only soprano I have that I can easily do a one-finger D chord as 2220.

Kanile'a ukes have the wider neck.

Ditto on the Kanile'a. If you're looking for an all-solid wood uke with a wider neck that won't break the bank, check out the Koloa KU-600.

Here's a link to the product page

Be aware that the tuners are pure garbage. I actually cut my thumb while trying to adjust them. I changed mine out for a set of black friction tuners from Taisamlu on eBay - very reasonably priced, very good quality, and a perfect fit with no adjustments needed!

Here's a link to the tuners on eBay.

I got the uke for under $100 and the tuners for $12, free shipping from Taiwan. Taisamlu prices them variably, so watch the auctions and don't hesitate to make an offer.

It's not the PERFECT uke - at that price I wouldn't expect it! But it looks beautiful and sounds nice (I did swap the strings for Martin Fluorocarbons). It's not very loud - which is great for me because I have it at work.

Anyway - it's a viable, if little-known, alternative to the expensive Kanile'as (my primary uke is a Kanile'a soprano - I love it love it, but I could've bought five Koloas for the price...).

vintage Martin

Ours is a longer scale - 15". That gives you more room between frets. Then we put a wide neck on to give more room between strings. Combine the two and you have more room than any standard soprano. Other long-scale soprano makers likely do the same.

anuenue ANN-P1L

I have an old Supertone Sears Harmony with a 1 and 13/32 wide at the nut neck that I can play with my fat fingers It's 1 7/8 at the 12 fret. I measured some of the other sopranos and I guess just a small 1/16 - 1/8 size increase makes a big difference when playing if you have marginal weiners for fingers :). I always wanted to put a 14" wide neck on a soprano body (isn't that a soprano flea?). That is my next uke project once I finish my other three.

I got a custom longneck soprano with an extra +1/8" neck. You could drive cars between the strings at the bridge. A little does go a LONG way.

Top Bottom