Yet Another Uker is Born!!

mendel

Reaction score
Ted the other day about a student bringing his new Uke to school. Well- yet anotherstudent went out and purchased a Uke. He heard about the other kid and me, and became interested. Now I know of 3 other players in te area. Too bad I'm a teacher and I'm not allowed to fraternize or I will lose my job. Asking as we okay at school it should be fine...

Could you sponsor a group after school?
My son and his friends like to play certain games when one of the teachers found out (he plays too) they started an after school club once a week. When the left middle school the took it to the high school and started it there.. They love it and then it's all in the rules....

It's interesting. My school is in a very affluent area, but with the economy being what it is these day, the wealthy ones seem to have taken a pretty big hit. The kids are really nice, but parents just don't have the money to buy instruments anymore. The issue is, my school will only let me run a club if I can provide kids that cannot afford it an opportunity to use an instrument. They won't fund the club either, so unless I buy them myself, it's a no go. I'd like to get a bunch of inexpensive ukes, but even those add up. I'm a teacher with a wife and kid. We do alright, but there's not a whole lot extra to go buy ukes. I've been saving up for my own instrument that I'm buying from UU member Bradford soon. I guess that I will have to keep it unofficial. I'm alright with it if there is no other way.

Aloha Mendel,
Have you thought of contacting dealers or uke companies for a group rate or sponsorship....for the ukes...worth a try....Good Luck...

So nowadays if I was on a break and plonked down in the band or choir director's office, and we shot the breeze and played something with whoever else was in there... the director would loose his job?? :rolleyes:

Those school rules weren't made with performing arts in mind. But since schools don't value that stuff anymore, that's ok. I'm glad I'm not in your boat. I don't know how you put up with it.

I work for a college and they don't care if I fraternize with students. Which is great because I am closer to their age then the rest of the staff.

Im not sure if I would lose my job, but I would be disciplined.

Sailboats, what college do you teach at????

Yeah in college, a few of our profs were most likely to be the life of the party..like lampshade wearing life of the party. Not that they did anything creepy either. But still, how Victorian, the rules today.

Top Bottom