Man! Did I screw up!

fhorndog

Reaction score
I took my 8 string tenor to school. I play it in general music classes about 3 hours a day. Last night I took some of my other ukes down off the wall at home and played them for the first time in a while. The big sound of the 8 has warped my ear to the point that my other ukes now sound inadequate.:( Do I hide it from myself for a few weeks and readjust? OR do I sell everything and buy a NICE 8 string??????

I took my 8 string tenor to school. I play it in general music classes about 3 hours a day. Last night I took some of my other ukes down off the wall at home and played them for the first time in a while. The big sound of the 8 has warped my ear to the point that my other ukes now sound inadequate.:( Do I hide it from myself for a few weeks and readjust? OR do I sell everything and buy a NICE 8 string??????

I would be happy to store some of those ukes at my place for you ;) I will send them back you realize how much you miss them!!!

I've had similar experiences as I keep upgrading my ukes. I HAVE found, though, that the best-sounding uke in my collection is always the one I've been playing for a few days in a row. Try playing one of your oldies exclusively for a bit and see if you still feel the same way.

If you can play an 8 string for 3 hours a day, and you are a strummer, then go for a really nice 8 string! If you like to do fingerpicking at all, make sure you keep a few 4 string ukes around. I am sure we can find good homes for those quieter ukes.

–Lori

Aloha Fhorndog,
It's generally called Upgrading and Ukulele Aquirement syndrome, we all do it at some point and time...Good Luck and Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Yeah, I borrowed an electric uke for a couple of weeks last year and only played that for a while. When I picked my soprano back up, it sounded really different and kind of weird. After a while, it sounded fine again. I think it's just your ear getting used to the sound and timbre of a particular uke. And to echo what fitncrafty said, if you do feel like you need time off from the 8 string, please let me know, I'll be glad to help.

I would say that if your gonna sell to get an 8 string keep some of your 4 string ukes. Just incase you decide you want to play one again.

Top Bottom