Big names in ukulele?

Check out Bill Tapia, Iwao Yamaguchi. Herb Ohta Sr. and Jr.

eugeneukulele:worship: is not be missed, and a UU member. Check him out:cheers:.

UU's own Matt Dahlberg (aka thejumpingflea). Also James Hill is amazing.

Brittni paiva n kalei gaimiao or something like..they both rip on the uke!

You will learn a lot from watching Ken Middleton's vids. He has several hundred vids on line now and his recordings are almost always clear, up close playing, and some very cool improvisations. Lozark

Can't leave out Taimane Gardner!

Heh, heh. I was going to ask, "do you mean 'big names' in the mainstream" (thinking people like Jake, Taimane, Iz, etc.) "or big names to uke fans" (thinking WS64, rawuke, etc.)." Then, I realized, honestly, even the "big names in the mainstream" really aren't well known outside of the uke community. I suspect that your average man on the street probably doesn't even know that there are people who actually make a living playing the uke, let alone who can name even one of them. So sad...for the average man on the street! LOL

John

Not sure about "big" names but Dominator and Jon Prown (ukejon) are worth checking out. Dominator has tons of ukulele tabs on his site.

John

What about Victoria Vox?

Lil' Rev, Azo Bell, Lyle Ritz, Cliff Edwards, George Formby, Ian Whitcomb

+1 for James Hill and Victoria Vox

I got to see Victoria play a couple weeks ago. Now if only James would make his way to California one of these days I would be soooo happy (James, are you listening?)

Ledward Kaapana, John King (RIP)

I think everyone mentioned the people I know about, I second the need to listen to eugene ukulele - he's great and thejumpingflea - again a master on the Uke, and there's another one, but I forget his username, he wrote the travelling flea circus CD, and it was possible to download, I have some of his songs and love them all, they make me laugh, but I' fail to remember his username, I was to say UNCLE Jim, but that's seems wrong!

...and there's another one, but I forget his username, he wrote the travelling flea circus CD, and it was possible to download, I have some of his songs and love them all, they make me laugh, but I' fail to remember his username, I was to say UNCLE Jim, but that's seems wrong!
I think you probably mean Ukulele Jim and his CD Ukulele Jim's Jumping Flea Circus.

To go off on a very very slight angle - how about a list of famous uke players, many of which you may not associate with the ukulele - if you click on the link near the top of the post, you will get a list of all my famous uke editions with pictures.

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/p/famous-ukulele-players.html

Enjoy - I remain amazed by some of the names - I mean - NEIL ARMSTRONG!!

Top Bottom