PDA

View Full Version : Big names in ukulele?

takesuoutswitch
02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
So besides the Great Jake and Aldrine, who else should I know about?! :)

janeray1940
02-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Start with this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?41662-Must-listen-music) - lots of good recommendations there.

mm stan
02-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Alohatakesuoutswitch,
check this out.... http://www.ukefarm.com/ukecards/ hope it helps...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Uncle Leroy
02-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Check out Bill Tapia, Iwao Yamaguchi. Herb Ohta Sr. and Jr.

cletus
02-03-2011, 12:51 AM
eugeneukulele:worship: is not be missed, and a UU member. Check him out:cheers:.

Nuprin
02-03-2011, 02:15 AM
UU's own Matt Dahlberg (aka thejumpingflea). Also James Hill is amazing.

Rockabilly
02-03-2011, 02:59 AM
Brittni paiva n kalei gaimiao or something like..they both rip on the uke!

lozarkman
02-03-2011, 03:05 AM
You will learn a lot from watching Ken Middleton's vids. He has several hundred vids on line now and his recordings are almost always clear, up close playing, and some very cool improvisations. Lozark

Howlin Hobbit
02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
check this out.... http://www.ukefarm.com/ukecards/
Was pleasantly surprised to see Snake Suspenderz in the list, but on further investigation it turned out to be nothing but "content goes here" repeated a bunch of times.

I haz a sad. :-(

OldePhart
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Can't leave out Taimane Gardner!

Heh, heh. I was going to ask, "do you mean 'big names' in the mainstream" (thinking people like Jake, Taimane, Iz, etc.) "or big names to uke fans" (thinking WS64, rawuke, etc.)." Then, I realized, honestly, even the "big names in the mainstream" really aren't well known outside of the uke community. I suspect that your average man on the street probably doesn't even know that there are people who actually make a living playing the uke, let alone who can name even one of them. So sad...for the average man on the street! LOL

John

70sSanO
02-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Not sure about "big" names but Dominator and Jon Prown (ukejon) are worth checking out. Dominator has tons of ukulele tabs on his site.

John

sukie
02-03-2011, 03:38 PM
What about Victoria Vox?

haolejohn
02-03-2011, 06:14 PM
I can not believe we have gone this far without mentioning Seeso. TO me he is ukulele.

Hippie Dribble
02-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Lil' Rev, Azo Bell, Lyle Ritz, Cliff Edwards, George Formby, Ian Whitcomb

marymac
02-03-2011, 08:40 PM
+1 for James Hill and Victoria Vox

I got to see Victoria play a couple weeks ago. Now if only James would make his way to California one of these days I would be soooo happy (James, are you listening?)

Steiner
02-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Ledward Kaapana, John King (RIP)

joeybug
02-04-2011, 03:00 AM
I think everyone mentioned the people I know about, I second the need to listen to eugene ukulele - he's great and thejumpingflea - again a master on the Uke, and there's another one, but I forget his username, he wrote the travelling flea circus CD, and it was possible to download, I have some of his songs and love them all, they make me laugh, but I' fail to remember his username, I was to say UNCLE Jim, but that's seems wrong!

Howlin Hobbit
02-04-2011, 07:39 AM
...and there's another one, but I forget his username, he wrote the travelling flea circus CD, and it was possible to download, I have some of his songs and love them all, they make me laugh, but I' fail to remember his username, I was to say UNCLE Jim, but that's seems wrong!
I think you probably mean Ukulele Jim and his CD Ukulele Jim's Jumping Flea Circus (http://music.ukulelejim.net/album/ukulele-jims-jumping-flea-circus).

bazmaz
02-04-2011, 09:11 AM
To go off on a very very slight angle - how about a list of famous uke players, many of which you may not associate with the ukulele - if you click on the link near the top of the post, you will get a list of all my famous uke editions with pictures.

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/p/famous-ukulele-players.html

Enjoy - I remain amazed by some of the names - I mean - NEIL ARMSTRONG!!

Gillian
02-04-2011, 09:24 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Troy Fernandez of the Ka'au Crater Boys (http://neosproductions.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=V089&Category_Code=) yet!!!

Pippin
02-04-2011, 10:27 AM
A.J. Leonard in Australia should be on everyone's list. Ralph Shaw, Canadian, along with Manitoba Hal. From Pennsylvania, Curt Sheller, a prolific writer and teacher of jazz ukulele and guitar. Ukulele Bartt is top-notch all the way. Taimane Gardner. Lyle Ritz. Gerald Ross.

seeso
02-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I can not believe we have gone this far without mentioning Seeso. TO me he is ukulele.

Great, now I'm crying.

Nickie
02-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I know he isn't around anymore, but my favorite is Roy Smeck.

philpot
02-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Tiny Tim, duh ;)

*hides behind flame shield*

70sSanO
02-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Was pleasantly surprised to see Snake Suspenderz in the list, but on further investigation it turned out to be nothing but "content goes here" repeated a bunch of times.

I haz a sad. :-(

HH... I have 2 Snake Suspenderz CDs... does that help... a little?

John

OldePhart
02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Tiny Tim, duh ;)

*hides behind flame shield*

I hope that's an extra strength shield and you're wearing asbestos undies, too. LOL Saw a clip on youtube of Bob Brozman where he pulls out a resonator uke and says, "no, I'm not going to play Tiptoe...I'm trying to undo the damage that Tiny Tim did to the ukulele."

John

Howlin Hobbit
02-04-2011, 06:24 PM
HH... I have 2 Snake Suspenderz CDs... does that help... a little?
The Snakes love each and every person who's come to a show or bought a CD! I love the folks who've bought my solo CD (or downloaded same).

It was really just the surprise of seeing the Snakes on that "Ukulele Trading Cards" list followed up by the letdown of it being just a "holding page" that gave me a sad.

BTW... which two do you have?

Brad Bordessa
02-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Peter Moon.
David Kamakahi.
Kimo Hussey.
Imua Garza.

Along with others already noted.