gently weeps strumming technique

mcpille

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just trying to learn gently weeps. now i have a problem with the strumming at 2:40 http://youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k.
I cannot see what strumming technique Jake is using. A triplet or is he just strumming with his index finger?
My attempt is: du ddu uu d ... What's the best way of doing it technically correct?
Thanks a lot...

i'm almost sure jake is continuously mixing his strum up throughout majority of the song (including that part).

Does no one have any tips?
I tried my best to figure out how he's strumming but it's so fast:)

That's true.
I think i can do techniques like triplet, rolls and so on but I cannot apply it to a song that it sounds that good.

Try recording the sound and then saving it as a file playable in Windows Media Player or a similar program that allows you to slow down the play speed without changing the pitch.

I wouldn’t get all caught up in trying to figure out “exactly” what strumming pattern Jake is using. The reasons are many. 1) Since the pattern is not really repeated the same way more than maybe twice you would basically be trying to learn this one really long strumming arrangement. 2) Jake himself never plays it the same way twice. He plays some parts of that section the same but as a whole it’s different based on the way he is feeling musically at the time. One fretting hand example is the pulling off to the open strings that happens at 3:03 and 3:07 rarely occurs in his other versions/videos. 3) I’m just not sure anyone is really capable of figuring out and notating or explaining every strum, triplet, percussive chunk as it is played in this video (even if you slow it down). I doubt our beloved Aldrine could even do this (mainly because he doesn’t have the patience to do such a thing, nor does he need to). I did the best I could when I transcribed that video version but it, without question, is not a dead on reproduction of the song because there simply is no such thing.

With all that being said, I tried your version of du ddu uu d and it works fine. I know I play it different all the time and tried to examine what I do and I seem to start it with d ddu u ud a couple of times and then just change it up from there. A mixture of these two also works great. The more important thing is to make sure you are changing the chords and working through the progression with the right timing. If you do this it really won’t necessarily matter how you strum it.

The only part of the section you are referring to that I think he uses only the index finger for is the climax at 3:29 and it’s possible he is using the index and middle together for more power. Because the part right before that where his hand sort of looks like it is going in a circular (more of an oval) motion he is using the thumb and index and middle fingers on the up and down strokes.

The suggestion of slowing the video and/or audio down is a good one and may help you get a couple of the different strums sorted out but my whole point is to advise you not to get caught up in that to the point it hinders you from putting your own feeling and mojo into the performance.

Good luck and sorry for the long winded response.

Dominator -- can't rep you , but wish I could. What an excellent response. I'm trying to learn a Jake song -- Let's Dance -- and let's just say it'll be my interpretation. Your answer is great for us trying to learn.

+1 to you

Well, I don't know the exact "strum pattern" but the way I play is pretty close (it's prolly not but who knows).

Here, I'll make a vid of me playing it up to speed and then I'll try show you it slowed down yeah?

I have nothing better to do at the moment so I'll try record it now and get it up on youtube by tonight ;)

Well, I don't know the exact "strum pattern" but the way I play is pretty close (it's prolly not but who knows).

This is an excellent example of exactly the point I was trying to make. Jeff has a strum pattern that he is comfortable with and moves through the progression with great timing and feel. Jeff's pattern is fairly consistent through the changes and sounds great. When compared to the Central Park video above there are many differences because Jake is accenting and throwing in a single triplet here and there inside of his other strumming etc. etc. But it doesn't matter. It's all about capturing the essence of the song and Jeff just nails it.

After watching Jeff's video, a video I made for a long distance student appeared in the on deck circle so I watched it. My strum is nothing like what Jake is doing and even more consistent/basic (meaning I'm playing the same thing over and over) than what Jeff is doing, but it still works.

Thanks for putting the video together Jeff. I'm sure it will help some folks start to get a handle on that section.

Okay I got a vid up, it's not the best but it should do for now.
I'll try make a better one in the future but yeah it sould serve it's purpose non-the-less :)
Good Luck ;)

Here's the like:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KRYDF10c4dY

Very nice. I'll watch it a few more times later...but its late and I can't quite practice the really loud parts at this hour. :) Thanks so much for making it!

Thanks to Dom's comments, very helpful. Also Jeff's video on the strum is great. I have a question, What are Ghost Notes and how are they used? Jeff mentions it in the Strum video. Does he mean to catch an open G string every now an then where it fits? Maybe this something for only very advanced players?

Thank you so much for so many tips... the video and dom's advice are so helpful. Now I'll have to practice :)...

What are Ghost Notes and how are they used?

Art,
Here is the Wikipedia explanation which is pretty much how I have always looked at them.

Ghost notes are musical notes occurring in a rhythmic figure which are purposely deemphasized, often nearly to the point of silence.

Top Bottom