PDA

View Full Version : Any Other Actors or Ex-Actors out there?

musicmonsterw
02-03-2011, 12:00 AM
I acted in TV and Films for more than 15 years. I'm on a bit of a hiatus right now. I left the industry in 2006. I still do the old gig now and again, but have stopped actively auditioning and hunting down work.

This is an old headshot of me back in the day. This picture was taken in 2001.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQj-t0frxwBZkvJXeq1Km4HWdPEd0hM5yyDtgrM_hQEg4sWv3UP7w

Just curious to know if there are any other actors or former actors on UU. I know of a few but I am curious to know if there are more.

My name is Ronin Wong. (and I"m an al....wait, that's the wrong meeting...)

cletus
02-03-2011, 01:58 AM
I've been known to tell people that I was the original Big Bird on Sesame Street.

But I've been known to embellish a little, as well...:old:

Dougf
02-03-2011, 07:07 AM
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players..." - WS

I'm currently playing a software geek in a high-tech sitcom. Every week the plot is pretty much the same, but we're working on a musical version that we're hoping will make off-Broadway.

That's pretty cool about your acting career, Ronin. What shows were you in?

whetu
02-03-2011, 10:00 AM

imdb for the win (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0740104/)? :)

Plainsong
02-03-2011, 10:12 AM
In college I had convinced myself I should be in opera. I did a few, nothing big, but it was a lot of fun and hard as hell. No regrets, but I'm glad that's done! Nowadays I sometimes do some very small community theater. I even managed to nab a voiceover gig, and OMG that was fun! In college, I mostly hung out with the theater cliques instead of the music ones, so sometimes when watching tv or film, I start to think about it like I'm in a class. That's very interesting to acting geeks, but not to anyone else, or so I've learned. :)

Ukulele Jim
02-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Here! President of the high school drama club, and a drama major in college. Then I decided I didn't want to wait tables for a living.

Plainsong
02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah I was a music major and theater minor. Do you sometimes watch performances and think about reactions and choices and subtext and some funky blocking that somehow made it into an otherwise nice scene on tv, or notice and comment about words that were typed by someone who never had to say them? I sometimes can't help myself, which makes me out to sound like a total drama neeeeerd. :)

musicmonsterw
02-03-2011, 08:28 PM
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players..." - WS

I'm currently playing a software geek in a high-tech sitcom. Every week the plot is pretty much the same, but we're working on a musical version that we're hoping will make off-Broadway.

imdb for the win (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0740104/)? :)

Oh my. Thanks for the comedy, Doug! hahaha you have a gift, you know.

Thanks, whetu, yes that's me on imdb. It doesn't list all the credits but it's a good representation.

I worked on some TV shows that were filmed in Vancouver, and occasionally I worked in Toronto. I guess the highlights would include the Outer Limits, the X-Files, Millenium, Kung Fu (the remake, not the original) and a bunch of TV movies. I also worked on Romeo Must Die with Jet Li and Along Came a Spider with Morgan Freeman. I worked a lot on Canadian shows as well, and some bad TV shows. I used to say that I make my living in bad television.

musicmonsterw
02-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Yeah I was a music major and theater minor. Do you sometimes watch performances and think about reactions and choices and subtext and some funky blocking that somehow made it into an otherwise nice scene on tv, or notice and comment about words that were typed by someone who never had to say them? I sometimes can't help myself, which makes me out to sound like a total drama neeeeerd. :)

Actually, when I watch a movie, TV show, or even when I attend theatre, I completely forget about the craft. I just try to watch the story.

Plainsong
02-04-2011, 01:17 AM
I try to as well. I want to be normal! :)

But then I go all drama neeeeerd. When in reality, without music, I feel like amateur dramatics from Whose Line.

Gmoney
02-04-2011, 04:22 AM
SNIP ...

Thanks, whetu, yes that's me on imdb. It doesn't list all the credits but it's a good representation. SNIP

Along Came a Spider with Morgan Freeman.

I saw that in IMDB! Got to watch that one again, anything with Morgan Freeman and now... got to find anything w/Ronin Wong! What a great "where are they now" tidbit - Ronin? Oh, he's left the bofing repetitive movie business to become a ukulele player.

Dougf
02-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Oh my. Thanks for the comedy, Doug! hahaha you have a gift, you know.

Thanks, whetu, yes that's me on imdb. It doesn't list all the credits but it's a good representation.

I worked on some TV shows that were filmed in Vancouver, and occasionally I worked in Toronto. I guess the highlights would include the Outer Limits, the X-Files, Millenium, Kung Fu (the remake, not the original) and a bunch of TV movies. I also worked on Romeo Must Die with Jet Li and Along Came a Spider with Morgan Freeman. I worked a lot on Canadian shows as well, and some bad TV shows. I used to say that I make my living in bad television.

Very cool, I'm definitely going to put a couple of these on my netflix queue.

BambinoTheBard
02-04-2011, 07:39 AM
In High School I played some roles in our spring musicals :p. The only reason this is significant is because my high school was known for having the best musicals in eastern PA. Each year we have a budget of 30k and thats saying something for a school that has only four thousand kids K-12.

I acted for the first time on stage when i was a sophmore. I played the role of Harry Trevor/Baptista in "Kiss me Kate" and when I was a junior I played Big Jule in "Guys and Dolls". Our directer was asked to direct broadway musicals but passed because he didnt want to travel his whole life haha. His antics are....questionable. Girls would usually leave practice crying. But everyone, including the cast, loved him because all in all, he was a nice dude and we knew that he was only doing his best to make the musicals the best they could be. When I was a senior I was picked to play Abner Dillon in "42nd Street" but I backed out because I needed to focus on my grades. So instead of acting I just worked backstage as the Assistant Stage Manager :D

We used some original sets from Broadway and original costumes(they are not as nice as you would guess. most of them are musty and smell terrible because they are 40+ years old) We would take pictures of the backs of the sets because famous actors would write their names on them. You can't see it from the audience obviously but there were some REALLY cool signatures. One of my friends who played Adelaide in "Guys and Dolls", had a costume from the 1992 revival show, which won 4 awards at the Tony Awards, including "Best Revival".

If I find the pictures I'll post them on here :p

I had some opportunities to continue acting on stage after high school, but as some of you guys know, I had to move to Kansas City, so that has been put on hold :/

Hopefully some day I'll be back to the stage but I still have the occasional uke-gig to look forward too :p

Plainsong
02-04-2011, 07:57 AM
All this theater talk is making me want to watch Waiting for Guffman.

musicmonsterw
02-04-2011, 08:22 AM
I try to as well. I want to be normal! :)

But then I go all drama neeeeerd. When in reality, without music, I feel like amateur dramatics from Whose Line.

Yeah, it's not easy to shut off the acting class mind. I do have the odd moment of it here and there. But I tell myself this, if a movie/TV program is worth critiquing, I can always see it a second time. The first viewing is just for the story. Whenever I get a new script, that's the way I work too. The first reading is just for the story. If there's a technique or craft note that comes to mind, I might type it quickly into a text file - but then forget it and get back to the story.

musicmonsterw
02-04-2011, 08:26 AM
I saw that in IMDB! Got to watch that one again, anything with Morgan Freeman and now... got to find anything w/Ronin Wong! What a great "where are they now" tidbit - Ronin? Oh, he's left the bofing repetitive movie business to become a ukulele player.

Hahaha. :) Thanks. I just had a brief part on Along Came A Spider. I did get to meet Morgan and hang out with him for a while. Also, a few of my friends were working on set at the same time I was. So, it was a lot of fun.

musicmonsterw
02-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Very cool, I'm definitely going to put a couple of these on my netflix queue.

Thanks, Doug! The ones I worked the most on were some of the TV movies. There was a movie called "The Secret of Giving" with Reba McEntire. Also, I did a lot of work on "The Spring" with Kyle McLachlan and Alison Eastwood.

musicmonsterw
02-04-2011, 08:34 AM
In High School I played some roles in our spring musicals :p. The only reason this is significant is because my high school was known for having the best musicals in eastern PA. Each year we have a budget of 30k and thats saying something for a school that has only four thousand kids K-12.

I acted for the first time on stage when i was a sophmore. I played the role of Harry Trevor/Baptista in "Kiss me Kate" and when I was a junior I played Big Jule in "Guys and Dolls". Our directer was asked to direct broadway musicals but passed because he didnt want to travel his whole life haha. His antics are....questionable. Girls would usually leave practice crying. But everyone, including the cast, loved him because all in all, he was a nice dude and we knew that he was only doing his best to make the musicals the best they could be. When I was a senior I was picked to play Abner Dillon in "42nd Street" but I backed out because I needed to focus on my grades. So instead of acting I just worked backstage as the Assistant Stage Manager :D

We used some original sets from Broadway and original costumes(they are not as nice as you would guess. most of them are musty and smell terrible because they are 40+ years old) We would take pictures of the backs of the sets because famous actors would write their names on them. You can't see it from the audience obviously but there were some REALLY cool signatures. One of my friends who played Adelaide in "Guys and Dolls", had a costume from the 1992 revival show, which won 4 awards at the Tony Awards, including "Best Revival".

If I find the pictures I'll post them on here :p

I had some opportunities to continue acting on stage after high school, but as some of you guys know, I had to move to Kansas City, so that has been put on hold :/

Hopefully some day I'll be back to the stage but I still have the occasional uke-gig to look forward too :p

Thanks for the info. This is cool!

It's funny. When I was in High School, I never thought I'd go into acting. I did one musical, Annie Get Your Gun, where I had two songs. We did not have a 30K budget...LOL.

Pueo
02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Nothing ever happens on Mars...

Pueo
02-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Growing up we had a family friend who was a wardrobe /costumer in Hollywood, and he worked on the worst B movies. He also did the costumes for the Wonder Woman TV show in the late 70's. I visited the set a couple of times. I also visited the set of one of the films he was working on, Gas Pump Girls (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077597/) and I actually have a small part in the film, and I do have a spoken line, so I can say I am a Hollywood actor! The movie also had the guy who played Leo in Grease and Rikki Marin, Cheech Marin's wife. I think I was 10 or 11 when the movie was made. It was funny because they used to show it on TV and people would come up to me at school and go heyyyyyyy, are you in a movie? and I would reply why the hell are YOU watching THAT awful movie??!?!?!? hahaha. I have a VHS copy of it.

musicmonsterw
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Growing up we had a family friend who was a wardrobe /costumer in Hollywood, and he worked on the worst B movies. He also did the costumes for the Wonder Woman TV show in the late 70's. I visited the set a couple of times. I also visited the set of one of the films he was working on, Gas Pump Girls (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077597/) and I actually have a small part in the film, and I do have a spoken line, so I can say I am a Hollywood actor! The movie also had the guy who played Leo in Grease and Rikki Marin, Cheech Marin's wife. I think I was 10 or 11 when the movie was made. It was funny because they used to show it on TV and people would come up to me at school and go heyyyyyyy, are you in a movie? and I would reply why the hell are YOU watching THAT awful movie??!?!?!? hahaha. I have a VHS copy of it.

Awesome! Upload your part.

SailingUke
02-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I've been on a hiatus as well. 50 years ago I was in my grade school Christmas pagent.
I thought a break might be in order while I perfect my skills.

"Did you want fries with that?"

I am trying to be funny here !!!

musicmonsterw
02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I've been on a hiatus as well. 50 years ago I was in my grade school Christmas pagent.
I thought a break might be in order while I perfect my skills.

"Did you want fries with that?"

Awesome!!! Thanks for your post.

It's been only 5 years for me. I sometimes do the odd acting job still. Maybe I should call it semi-retirement.

I had to quit because I was burned out on auditions. I've been fortunate. No regrets. I just don't know if I could do another audition. I never kept a running total but my guess is I had around 500. It's like constantly going to job interviews. I just burned out.

Gmoney
02-04-2011, 02:23 PM
SNIP - I had to quit because I was burned out on auditions. I've been fortunate. No regrets. I just don't know if I could do another audition. I never kept a running total but my guess is I had around 500. It's like constantly going to job interviews. I just burned out.

My daughter was headed for a musical theatre career. Came up from grade school through high school (we home schooled) doing community theater. Kid has incredible chops - broadway vocals w/o a doubt. She went to college for a couple of years majoring in musical theater & got all the leading lady roles - musical & dramatic. Seemed "destined" to be on Broadway someday. But... auditions, the incredible competition for a role & the frenetic pace of "doing theater" burned her out. So, she's home looking into going somewhere overseas to work in a mission setting helping kids in a third world country. The last role she played was Sally Bowles in Cabaret. She kicked BUTT in that role & got accolades galore, but she thought that if she stayed in theater, she'd end up being Sally Bowles.

I can really understand why auditioning got to you!

Bassukuguy
02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Stage actor here, nothing for screen though. ive been on stage pretty much my whole life. Musicals, one acts, improv, backstage work. All of which are good times, improv was pretty much the best thing though. Religion and philosophy major, and theater arts minor in college. i really do miss having acting opportunities at this point in my life, stupid late shift at work. oh well another day will come.

highlights:
Three Penny Opera
Godspell
Fiddler on the Roof
Taming of the Shrew
The Odd Couple
Lend Me a Tenor
Plaza suite
Little Red Devils Improv Troupe

lowlights:
Scrooge: The Musical
Dames at Sea *horrible south pacific ripoff*
a student written show about Sept 11th.

Bassukuguy
02-04-2011, 02:37 PM
One of the best books written about auditioning *or atleast part of it is written about it* is Wil Wheaton's book "Just A Geek". he just goes so indepth into how it was tearing his soul apart trying to get these roles after Star Trek.

CTurner
02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I guess this is the place to say I've taught in actor training programs for over 35 years. I'm a movement training expert, helping actors and performers to refine their physical expression. I teach and choreograph stage fights, also coach character movement in a regional Equity theatre our program is affiliated with. It's a small world, the actor training world, and I've loved all of it.
The ukulele world is also a wonderful place to be. :o

musicmonsterw
02-04-2011, 03:19 PM
My daughter was headed for a musical theatre career. Came up from grade school through high school (we home schooled) doing community theater. Kid has incredible chops - broadway vocals w/o a doubt. She went to college for a couple of years majoring in musical theater & got all the leading lady roles - musical & dramatic. Seemed "destined" to be on Broadway someday. But... auditions, the incredible competition for a role & the frenetic pace of "doing theater" burned her out. So, she's home looking into going somewhere overseas to work in a mission setting helping kids in a third world country. The last role she played was Sally Bowles in Cabaret. She kicked BUTT in that role & got accolades galore, but she thought that if she stayed in theater, she'd end up being Sally Bowles.

I can really understand why auditioning got to you!

Yeah, thanks Glen. Maybe she just needs a break. Also, has she considered trying out film and TV. It's a tough game too but it's a different game. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

musicmonsterw
02-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Stage actor here, nothing for screen though. ive been on stage pretty much my whole life. Musicals, one acts, improv, backstage work. All of which are good times, improv was pretty much the best thing though. Religion and philosophy major, and theater arts minor in college. i really do miss having acting opportunities at this point in my life, stupid late shift at work. oh well another day will come.

highlights:
Three Penny Opera
Godspell
Fiddler on the Roof
Taming of the Shrew
The Odd Couple
Lend Me a Tenor
Plaza suite
Little Red Devils Improv Troupe

lowlights:
Scrooge: The Musical
Dames at Sea *horrible south pacific ripoff*
a student written show about Sept 11th.

Sounds like you've had a rich and varied theatre experience. Hope your "day" comes around again soon!

musicmonsterw
02-04-2011, 03:25 PM
I guess this is the place to say I've taught in actor training programs for over 35 years. I'm a movement training expert, helping actors and performers to refine their physical expression. I teach and choreograph stage fights, also coach character movement in a regional Equity theatre our program is affiliated with. It's a small world, the actor training world, and I've loved all of it.
The ukulele world is also a wonderful place to be. :o

That's great! Thanks for sharing! I'm curious about something. What influences do you draw from in teaching movement for acting?

CTurner
02-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Jacques Lecoq, Ki-Aikido, Taijiquan, Neurolinguistic Programming, biomechanics and, of course, Stanislavski. All in combination with my own take on process, of course.

Best

musicmonsterw
02-05-2011, 05:24 AM
Jacques Lecoq, Ki-Aikido, Taijiquan, Neurolinguistic Programming, biomechanics and, of course, Stanislavski. All in combination with my own take on process, of course.

Best

Neurolinguistic Programming and bio mechanics sound intriguing. The others I've experienced. I found that practicing Tai Chi, really helped with remembering complex blocking for some film shoots.

deach
02-05-2011, 08:13 AM
In addition to being a part-time model, I have starred in several adult movies.

musicmonsterw
02-05-2011, 08:14 AM
In addition to being a part-time model, I have starred in several adult movies.

I knew someone with your stunning good looks and prowess had to have something like that in your background. What are the titles??

toubisard
02-06-2011, 03:53 AM
Not quite an actor, but I worked for three months as a 'action car driver' in London. If ever I get to see the finshed product (It was finished) only I will know when to look for the back of my head in shot. I moved away from working on sets.

musicmonsterw
02-08-2011, 03:44 PM
So, tomorrow, for the morning, my acting skills are being dusted off. I'm going in for a play reading, as part of an ongoing play development workshop. It's for a site-specific project that deals with the history of the Britannia Shipyards, which is an important historic site. Last December, I participated in a one week long workshop on this project. The writer, director, and dramaturge have reworked the script and they want a group of actors to read it out for them again.

Readings are fun and they aren't too hard to do. It's a good way to earn a few extra bucks.

Chris Tarman
02-08-2011, 07:23 PM

I LOVE that movie!

Chris Tarman
02-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I had a small part in a play about 17 years ago, and was in Jesus Christ Superstar a few years ago at our local community theater, as "unnamed Apostle/crowd scene guy. I had REALLY wanted to play bass for that production, but they already had a bassist and needed more men. I knew the music pretty well (my dad being a Methodist minister who graduated from seminary in '68, lol). I have always had friends who were involved in theater, and a couple who are in improv comedy groups, so I've always kind of WANTED to do theater, but haven't really gotten "the bug". My wife, on the other hand, has been in 4 plays at the community theater here over the past 8 or 9 years, getting larger parts each time. She really loves it.

musicmonsterw
02-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I had a small part in a play about 17 years ago, and was in Jesus Christ Superstar a few years ago at our local community theater, as "unnamed Apostle/crowd scene guy. I had REALLY wanted to play bass for that production, but they already had a bassist and needed more men. I knew the music pretty well (my dad being a Methodist minister who graduated from seminary in '68, lol). I have always had friends who were involved in theater, and a couple who are in improv comedy groups, so I've always kind of WANTED to do theater, but haven't really gotten "the bug". My wife, on the other hand, has been in 4 plays at the community theater here over the past 8 or 9 years, getting larger parts each time. She really loves it.

Thanks for you post, Chris!

musicmonsterw
02-09-2011, 07:27 PM
The play reading went well this morning. I didn't have anything to read for the first 30 pages or so and I'm not a morning person at the best of times so I blanked out on my first set of cues. Pretty embarrassing. But, then things picked up and I was fine afterwards. We discussed the play for an hour after the read. A large cast, almost 20 actors. Rehearsals start July 16 and it will run for a while starting in August. Not sure if I'll be involved in it or not.

Plainsong
02-10-2011, 03:53 AM
I had to back out of our last production too. I got cast as the lead! Yay! But the lead in this case (a light English comedy that I can't even remember the name of), is on for 99% of the play. The director was pretty strict about wanting everyone off-book in two weeks. This is part-time-afterwork/school/life theater. At that time, I just didn't have the hours in the day required to do everything else plus memorize this very thick book in which I'm in 99% of. Luckily she had someone understudying me already. She was pissed, but two family members were terminally ill, we had to move to a temporary flat because new pipes were going in the building, and just no way.

I agree with her about the need to get off-book quickly. Who wouldn't? It just wasn't going to happen in this case.

So it was the opposite of your problem! :)

musicmonsterw
02-10-2011, 05:59 PM
I had to back out of our last production too. I got cast as the lead! Yay! But the lead in this case (a light English comedy that I can't even remember the name of), is on for 99% of the play. The director was pretty strict about wanting everyone off-book in two weeks. This is part-time-afterwork/school/life theater. At that time, I just didn't have the hours in the day required to do everything else plus memorize this very thick book in which I'm in 99% of. Luckily she had someone understudying me already. She was pissed, but two family members were terminally ill, we had to move to a temporary flat because new pipes were going in the building, and just no way.

I agree with her about the need to get off-book quickly. Who wouldn't? It just wasn't going to happen in this case.

So it was the opposite of your problem! :)

The first professional play I was cast in, I got the lead. It was scary. There were many, many lines. I had two large monologues, including one where I was on stage by myself for 15 minutes. I couldn't believe they had entrusted this part to a complete newbie. And, it was a new play as well, so rewrites were happening throughout rehearsals. Fortunately, because it was a paying Equity gig, I could devote all my energy towards it. I actually lost 15 pounds during rehearsals and performances.

Plainsong
02-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh man, rewrites. I've never had to deal with that. Before theater I did opera, and was never in anything new enough to need rewrites. I hear people talk about it and it just boggles my mind. It's all part of the gig yet don't you still want to strangle someone, especially if they type something no one would ever say?

I totally forgot about this one, but I was in this educational video for engineers brushing up on their English in business settings. We didn't have a script, it was all improv. It's a cheesy horrible typical educational film but oh man did we have fun filming it. It took a good two weeks, plus into the recording studio for the accompanying CD set. It was a really posh production for what I'd imagine in an educational film. We had boom mics and lighting and even multiple camera coverage.

I had one scene saved on my hard drive, but lost it in a crash. I wonder if the fun we had in filming shows up in the completed product. Probably not for bored masters level students watching it, but it was a lot of fun.

musicmonsterw
02-13-2011, 06:17 PM
hey, Plainsong. It's too bad you lost the scene. It would have been great to see. Educational films used to pay the bills once in a while.

So, anyways, I finally used my rusty acting skills in a video. This is my first attempt at a "story" video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sZZcrPApFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sZZcrPApFc

Wesley S
03-22-2011, 03:16 PM
I did some acting in high school but didn't stick with it. I usually played second banana to a guy named Terrence Mann who went on to have good rolls in the original Broadway casts of Cats, Les Miz { tony nominated } and was the original Beast in "Beauty and the Beast". Currently he's in "The Addams Family". He was in several movies too. Not to mention soaps and a slasher movie.

pdxuke
03-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi Ronin:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0106257/

musicmonsterw
03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
I did some acting in high school but didn't stick with it. I usually played second banana to a guy named Terrence Mann who went on to have good rolls in the original Broadway casts of Cats, Les Miz { tony nominated } and was the original Beast in "Beauty and the Beast". Currently he's in "The Addams Family". He was in several movies too. Not to mention soaps and a slasher movie.

Hi Ronin:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0106257/

Thanks for the info.

Thom, your imdb list is cool. I was a fan of Remington Steele and Quincy when those shows were on the air. I will check out some of your other credits too.

pdxuke
03-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Thom, your imdb list is cool. I was a fan of Remington Steele and Quincy when those shows were on the air. I will check out some of your other credits too.

Much to the delight of my children, who love to tease me, my Remington Steele episode is now on iTunes. "Signed, Steeled and Delivered" from season 1.

What I really wish would show up is the episode of Love Boat I did: Reagan was President and his daughter Patti played my love interest, so I'm like kissing the Presidents daughter. Also, Donald O'Connor was in that episode and it was way cool because I got to sit for 6 days off camera between set-ups and talk to him about "Singing In The Rain" and the old studio system.

musicmonsterw
03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Much to the delight of my children, who love to tease me, my Remington Steele episode is now on iTunes. "Signed, Steeled and Delivered" from season 1.

What I really wish would show up is the episode of Love Boat I did: Reagan was President and his daughter Patti played my love interest, so I'm like kissing the Presidents daughter. Also, Donald O'Connor was in that episode and it was way cool because I got to sit for 6 days off camera between set-ups and talk to him about "Singing In The Rain" and the old studio system.

That is very, very cool! I have watched "Singing in the Rain" many times. Even memorized some of the songs.

Set conversations are great. I worked on a TV movie called "The Spring." Alison Eastwood played the lead in that. We were in the middle of a really long set-up, a big crowd shot, and sat and talked about basic stuff, like our family and what our parents were like when we were growing up. It was like basic chitchat and I thought nothing of it. But, all of a sudden, it finally occurred to me that we were talking about Clint Eastwood's home life. It was a bit of a surreal moment for me.

UkuleleHill
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Stage actor here. I don't get to act near as much as I would like too... But I do from time to time these days. I am beginning to have more time to act now that my schedule permits it :)

Wesley S
06-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Come to think of it - my best acting comes when ever I tell my wife that "This is my last instrument - EVER".

{ I just ordered a concert sized uke this morning from Republic Guitars }.

hoosierhiver
06-28-2011, 09:19 AM
I was once the stand in for a farmer in a 3rd grade play.

musicmonsterw
06-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I was once the stand in for a farmer in a 3rd grade play.

Stand ins do an important job. So do farmers. So does the 3rd grade.

JustLovely
06-29-2011, 07:00 AM
1st year of college: Musical Theater Major
2nd year of college: General Theater Major
3rd & 4th years of college: Costume Design Major

Then I graduated, got a job as a daycare teacher... and now I am a secretary. Funny how life works out. I'm still holding my breath for the Costume Design Oscar someday though! ;)

musicmonsterw
06-29-2011, 07:38 AM
1st year of college: Musical Theater Major
2nd year of college: General Theater Major
3rd & 4th years of college: Costume Design Major

Then I graduated, got a job as a daycare teacher... and now I am a secretary. Funny how life works out. I'm still holding my breath for the Costume Design Oscar someday though! ;)

Yes, never know where life leads you.

My background was this

1st year university: Arts Major
2nd through 5th year (lousy 5 year program): Business Major

Graduated, went to work in the corporate world as a CA (chartered accountant). Got fired twice. Set up my own practice and did well with that for a while.

In the meantime, to alleviate boredom, started taking acting classes. After being fired from an accounting job the second time, took some time out to just chill. I did some work as an extra in TV and movies, and played piano in a lounge (I had piano lessons as a kid). The extra work lead to acting work in film and theatre as well. I ended up leaving accounting altogether and worked in acting and music for a long time. I'm semi-retired from acting now, and I teach music. I have a few performing and recording gigs but mostly I teach. I still act once in a while, but I don't pursue it any more.

musicmonsterw
07-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I just got cast in a part in a play - The Britannia Shipyards play that I've been workshopping! I get to play the part of a disgruntled Japanese fisherman. I can't fish to save my life but I can be disgruntled. That comes naturally.

The play is filled with music so there will be some singing and possibly instrumental playing. I'm pushing to get the ukulele included. Rehearsals start on July 19th. They are 6 days a week, 10 to 6. Once we're in tech, they should go to 10 to 10. Then the show runs for two weeks on site at the shipyards.

It means I'll have to reschedule my teaching like crazy! My students tend to take a break in the summer anyway so that might help. Also, I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to go the Oakridge festival, which is somewhere in Oregon August 5 to 7. The director said he might be able to let me have the time off. We'll see.

I'm excited! Haven't done a play in years.

musicmonsterw
09-22-2011, 12:42 PM
The play, Salmon Row. We rehearsed from mid July to late August. At the end of August, we had a completely sold out run. It's a site specific play, which means, in our case, that it took place outside actual historic buildings. We used five different locations. The audience moved with us from place to place. Here's some pictures from the show.

http://www.tmatheson.com/salmonrowlive/pictures/picture-26.jpg

http://www.tmatheson.com/salmonrowlive/pictures/picture-70.jpg

And a link about the show.

http://www.mortalcoil.bc.ca/shows/current-show/salmon-row

wolfybau
09-28-2011, 07:05 PM
congrats on the play selling out. Nice video too :) I been a performing musician most of my life, but I've never acted before or studyed anything about film until recently when i started making my own videos, but it is a lot of fun. But i guess when you do it professional it becomes a job like any other with its tediums etc. I guess its like that with anything you do full time.

Did you ever do any stunt work in your films?

I'll have to check out some of you stuff listed on IMDB, I'm sure Ive seen some of it, loved the Outer Limits. And your photo looked very familiar.

musicmonsterw
09-28-2011, 08:13 PM
congrats on the play selling out. Nice video too :) I been a performing musician most of my life, but I've never acted before or studyed anything about film until recently when i started making my own videos, but it is a lot of fun. But i guess when you do it professional it becomes a job like any other with its tediums etc. I guess its like that with anything you do full time.

Did you ever do any stunt work in your films?

I'll have to check out some of you stuff listed on IMDB, I'm sure Ive seen some of it, loved the Outer Limits. And your photo looked very familiar.

Thanks! I didn't do much stunt work. Sometimes I would do a fight scene as part of the role. There are a lot of very talented stunt men in Vancouver who specialize in it. I was only moderately skilled in the fighting arts so I decided to stick to acting.

Acting always remained interesting for me but it was the auditioning which got to me. I loved it at first but after 15 years of it, I grew tired. I burned out. These days, I might still do the odd part here and there but I don't actively pursue acting anymore. If something comes up , great. If not, I just stick to what I'm doing. I hope to make more Youtube videos where I get to act. he he he It should be fun.

wolfybau
09-30-2011, 06:07 PM
I can emagine there are legalities involed with wether or not some one chooses to do their own fight scene and stunt work too because of potential injuries etc?

I cna emagine, like endless job interviews , sheesh. That must be stressful , I dont blame you.

I'd gotten rather burnt out with being a pro musician in a metal band myself , which is a lot fo competition with little pay. The contantly having to deal with the business side of things, and always being 'under the gun' as I did everything, manging booking, marketing, recordign, website and engineering add infinitum. :rolleyes: that and being extremely damn chronicly ill didnt help either.

I've got a few friends who are in the film industy in London, who I've discused working with on some independant short films. Who knows mabee some of those project might happen if I've extremely lucky. They tell me there have been major problems with the government there is cuts that are hurting the film industry and performing arts.

I'd like to see soem more of your videos, please post them when you are ready :)

musicmonsterw
09-30-2011, 06:14 PM
I can emagine there are legalities involed with wether or not some one chooses to do their own fight scene and stunt work too because of potential injuries etc?

I cna emagine, like endless job interviews , sheesh. That must be stressful , I dont blame you.

I'd gotten rather burnt out with being a pro musician in a metal band myself , which is a lot fo competition with little pay. The contantly having to deal with the business side of things, and always being 'under the gun' as I did everything, manging booking, marketing, recordign, website and engineering add infinitum. :rolleyes: that and being extremely damn chronicly ill didnt help either.

I've got a few friends who are in the film industy in London, who I've discused working with on some independant short films. Who knows mabee some of those project might happen if I've extremely lucky. They tell me there have been major problems with the government there is cuts that are hurting the film industry and performing arts.

I'd like to see soem more of your videos, please post them when you are ready :)

Thanks so much for your lovely message!! I'm hard at work editing a rather large collab video. It features more than 70 ukulele performers, including Aldrine.

Bob Bledsoe
09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Good thread Ronin! I wondered the same thing.
I'm an comedian/actor/writer - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2021820/
Here's my channel where sketches and such go - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheProgramShow?feature=mhee
Are you in LA? (you may have answered that. I didn't read the whole thread)

wolfybau
10-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Thanks so much for your lovely message!! I'm hard at work editing a rather large collab video. It features more than 70 ukulele performers, including Aldrine.

wow that sounds fantastic , looking forward to hearign more about this!

@bob funny stuff there on your channel :)

spookefoote
10-01-2011, 04:34 AM
I used to be Laurence Olivier, then the work dried up!

wolfybau
10-02-2011, 04:29 PM

lol yeah well thats the desert for ya :)

Bob Bledsoe
10-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks, wolfybau! glad you liked my vids.

kaizersoza
10-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I am Peter Griffin,

musicmonsterw
10-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Good thread Ronin! I wondered the same thing.
I'm an comedian/actor/writer - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2021820/
Here's my channel where sketches and such go - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheProgramShow?feature=mhee
Are you in LA? (you may have answered that. I didn't read the whole thread)

Hey, Bob! That was a very funny featured video on your channel.

No, I am not in LA. I'm in Vancouver up in Canada.

musicmonsterw
10-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I am Peter Griffin,

Peter Griffin doesn't exist. He was made up by someone so they could get away with a crime.

musicmonsterw
10-05-2011, 01:50 PM

Sorry about that, Sir Larry.

zac987
10-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I was a big drama guy in high school, but not so much anymore lol...

wolfybau
10-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Peter Griffin doesn't exist. He was made up by someone so they could get away with a crime.

lol thats right let a cartoon character do your dirty work