Any Other Actors or Ex-Actors out there?

musicmonsterw

Reaction score
I acted in TV and Films for more than 15 years. I'm on a bit of a hiatus right now. I left the industry in 2006. I still do the old gig now and again, but have stopped actively auditioning and hunting down work.

This is an old headshot of me back in the day. This picture was taken in 2001.

images

Just curious to know if there are any other actors or former actors on UU. I know of a few but I am curious to know if there are more.

My name is Ronin Wong. (and I"m an al....wait, that's the wrong meeting...)

I've been known to tell people that I was the original Big Bird on Sesame Street.

But I've been known to embellish a little, as well...:eek:ld:

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players..." - WS

I'm currently playing a software geek in a high-tech sitcom. Every week the plot is pretty much the same, but we're working on a musical version that we're hoping will make off-Broadway.

That's pretty cool about your acting career, Ronin. What shows were you in?

In college I had convinced myself I should be in opera. I did a few, nothing big, but it was a lot of fun and hard as hell. No regrets, but I'm glad that's done! Nowadays I sometimes do some very small community theater. I even managed to nab a voiceover gig, and OMG that was fun! In college, I mostly hung out with the theater cliques instead of the music ones, so sometimes when watching tv or film, I start to think about it like I'm in a class. That's very interesting to acting geeks, but not to anyone else, or so I've learned. :)

Yeah I was a music major and theater minor. Do you sometimes watch performances and think about reactions and choices and subtext and some funky blocking that somehow made it into an otherwise nice scene on tv, or notice and comment about words that were typed by someone who never had to say them? I sometimes can't help myself, which makes me out to sound like a total drama neeeeerd. :)

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players..." - WS

I'm currently playing a software geek in a high-tech sitcom. Every week the plot is pretty much the same, but we're working on a musical version that we're hoping will make off-Broadway.

That's pretty cool about your acting career, Ronin. What shows were you in?

Oh my. Thanks for the comedy, Doug! hahaha you have a gift, you know.

Thanks, whetu, yes that's me on imdb. It doesn't list all the credits but it's a good representation.

I worked on some TV shows that were filmed in Vancouver, and occasionally I worked in Toronto. I guess the highlights would include the Outer Limits, the X-Files, Millenium, Kung Fu (the remake, not the original) and a bunch of TV movies. I also worked on Romeo Must Die with Jet Li and Along Came a Spider with Morgan Freeman. I worked a lot on Canadian shows as well, and some bad TV shows. I used to say that I make my living in bad television.

Yeah I was a music major and theater minor. Do you sometimes watch performances and think about reactions and choices and subtext and some funky blocking that somehow made it into an otherwise nice scene on tv, or notice and comment about words that were typed by someone who never had to say them? I sometimes can't help myself, which makes me out to sound like a total drama neeeeerd. :)

Actually, when I watch a movie, TV show, or even when I attend theatre, I completely forget about the craft. I just try to watch the story.

SNIP ...

Thanks, whetu, yes that's me on imdb. It doesn't list all the credits but it's a good representation. SNIP

Along Came a Spider with Morgan Freeman.

I saw that in IMDB! Got to watch that one again, anything with Morgan Freeman and now... got to find anything w/Ronin Wong! What a great "where are they now" tidbit - Ronin? Oh, he's left the bofing repetitive movie business to become a ukulele player.

Oh my. Thanks for the comedy, Doug! hahaha you have a gift, you know.

Thanks, whetu, yes that's me on imdb. It doesn't list all the credits but it's a good representation.

I worked on some TV shows that were filmed in Vancouver, and occasionally I worked in Toronto. I guess the highlights would include the Outer Limits, the X-Files, Millenium, Kung Fu (the remake, not the original) and a bunch of TV movies. I also worked on Romeo Must Die with Jet Li and Along Came a Spider with Morgan Freeman. I worked a lot on Canadian shows as well, and some bad TV shows. I used to say that I make my living in bad television.

Very cool, I'm definitely going to put a couple of these on my netflix queue.

In High School I played some roles in our spring musicals :p. The only reason this is significant is because my high school was known for having the best musicals in eastern PA. Each year we have a budget of 30k and thats saying something for a school that has only four thousand kids K-12.

I acted for the first time on stage when i was a sophmore. I played the role of Harry Trevor/Baptista in "Kiss me Kate" and when I was a junior I played Big Jule in "Guys and Dolls". Our directer was asked to direct broadway musicals but passed because he didnt want to travel his whole life haha. His antics are....questionable. Girls would usually leave practice crying. But everyone, including the cast, loved him because all in all, he was a nice dude and we knew that he was only doing his best to make the musicals the best they could be. When I was a senior I was picked to play Abner Dillon in "42nd Street" but I backed out because I needed to focus on my grades. So instead of acting I just worked backstage as the Assistant Stage Manager :D

We used some original sets from Broadway and original costumes(they are not as nice as you would guess. most of them are musty and smell terrible because they are 40+ years old) We would take pictures of the backs of the sets because famous actors would write their names on them. You can't see it from the audience obviously but there were some REALLY cool signatures. One of my friends who played Adelaide in "Guys and Dolls", had a costume from the 1992 revival show, which won 4 awards at the Tony Awards, including "Best Revival".

If I find the pictures I'll post them on here :p

I had some opportunities to continue acting on stage after high school, but as some of you guys know, I had to move to Kansas City, so that has been put on hold :/

Hopefully some day I'll be back to the stage but I still have the occasional uke-gig to look forward too :p

I try to as well. I want to be normal! :)

But then I go all drama neeeeerd. When in reality, without music, I feel like amateur dramatics from Whose Line.

Yeah, it's not easy to shut off the acting class mind. I do have the odd moment of it here and there. But I tell myself this, if a movie/TV program is worth critiquing, I can always see it a second time. The first viewing is just for the story. Whenever I get a new script, that's the way I work too. The first reading is just for the story. If there's a technique or craft note that comes to mind, I might type it quickly into a text file - but then forget it and get back to the story.

I saw that in IMDB! Got to watch that one again, anything with Morgan Freeman and now... got to find anything w/Ronin Wong! What a great "where are they now" tidbit - Ronin? Oh, he's left the bofing repetitive movie business to become a ukulele player.

Hahaha. :) Thanks. I just had a brief part on Along Came A Spider. I did get to meet Morgan and hang out with him for a while. Also, a few of my friends were working on set at the same time I was. So, it was a lot of fun.

Very cool, I'm definitely going to put a couple of these on my netflix queue.

Thanks, Doug! The ones I worked the most on were some of the TV movies. There was a movie called "The Secret of Giving" with Reba McEntire. Also, I did a lot of work on "The Spring" with Kyle McLachlan and Alison Eastwood.

In High School I played some roles in our spring musicals :p. The only reason this is significant is because my high school was known for having the best musicals in eastern PA. Each year we have a budget of 30k and thats saying something for a school that has only four thousand kids K-12.

I acted for the first time on stage when i was a sophmore. I played the role of Harry Trevor/Baptista in "Kiss me Kate" and when I was a junior I played Big Jule in "Guys and Dolls". Our directer was asked to direct broadway musicals but passed because he didnt want to travel his whole life haha. His antics are....questionable. Girls would usually leave practice crying. But everyone, including the cast, loved him because all in all, he was a nice dude and we knew that he was only doing his best to make the musicals the best they could be. When I was a senior I was picked to play Abner Dillon in "42nd Street" but I backed out because I needed to focus on my grades. So instead of acting I just worked backstage as the Assistant Stage Manager :D

We used some original sets from Broadway and original costumes(they are not as nice as you would guess. most of them are musty and smell terrible because they are 40+ years old) We would take pictures of the backs of the sets because famous actors would write their names on them. You can't see it from the audience obviously but there were some REALLY cool signatures. One of my friends who played Adelaide in "Guys and Dolls", had a costume from the 1992 revival show, which won 4 awards at the Tony Awards, including "Best Revival".

If I find the pictures I'll post them on here :p

I had some opportunities to continue acting on stage after high school, but as some of you guys know, I had to move to Kansas City, so that has been put on hold :/

Hopefully some day I'll be back to the stage but I still have the occasional uke-gig to look forward too :p

Thanks for the info. This is cool!

It's funny. When I was in High School, I never thought I'd go into acting. I did one musical, Annie Get Your Gun, where I had two songs. We did not have a 30K budget...LOL.

Growing up we had a family friend who was a wardrobe /costumer in Hollywood, and he worked on the worst B movies. He also did the costumes for the Wonder Woman TV show in the late 70's. I visited the set a couple of times. I also visited the set of one of the films he was working on, Gas Pump Girls and I actually have a small part in the film, and I do have a spoken line, so I can say I am a Hollywood actor! The movie also had the guy who played Leo in Grease and Rikki Marin, Cheech Marin's wife. I think I was 10 or 11 when the movie was made. It was funny because they used to show it on TV and people would come up to me at school and go heyyyyyyy, are you in a movie? and I would reply why the hell are YOU watching THAT awful movie??!?!?!? hahaha. I have a VHS copy of it.

Top Bottom