How vital is humidifying?

Is this only for those people who live in cold weather? It is humid where I live so I'm guessing it isn't needed.

Well...too much moisture is not good either. From what I understand, you want your ukes stored somewhere between 45% and 65% rel. humidity. Read up on this yourself just for verification and techniques...

Well...too much moisture is not good either. From what I understand, you want your ukes stored somewhere between 45% and 65% rel. humidity. Read up on this yourself just for verification and techniques...

Hm wow, the relative humidity on Guam averages 70-80%

Heres what I found that best explains it:

http://www.koolauukulele.com/instrumentcare.html

"The most critical situation is "too dry" and as mentioned above, woods crack, and tops and backs sink. Too wet is also a problem, but in most cases this problem can more easily be compensated. The solution, in a wet, humid climate is to keep your instrument in the case when not in use, using silica gel packs to absorb moisture. Eventually, it will "acclimate" to its new environment. However, in a dry climate some form of moisture, a humidifier of some sort must be installed in the case, and then the instrument placed in the case when not in use."

Top Bottom