Why no concert 5-strings?

pepamahina

Reaction score
Hi Guys-
I really like concert size ukes, but I would really like a 5 string so I can have both high and low Gs on one instrument. But 5 string concert seem really scarce or just plain unavailable. I'm considering having a custom made, but first I want to know...is there a good reason that 5 strings seem to be tenors? Do you think I'm just going to end up wishing I had a tenor instead when I gain more experience?

Aloha Pepamahina,
I believe Ken Middleton played a 5 string double G string on a you tube video of a new Ohana Ukulele..PM him....he works for them...Good Luck, Happy Strummings..MM Stan..

Aloha Pepamahina,
I believe Ken Middleton played a 5 string double G string on a you tube video of a new Ohana Ukulele..PM him....he works for them...Good Luck, Happy Strummings..MM Stan..

The Ohana 5 string is a tenor, not a concert.

Some concert scaled ukuleles don't really sound good with low g.
The longer string makes the low g work.

Hi Guys-
I really like concert size ukes, but I would really like a 5 string so I can have both high and low Gs on one instrument. But 5 string concert seem really scarce or just plain unavailable. I'm considering having a custom made, but first I want to know...is there a good reason that 5 strings seem to be tenors? Do you think I'm just going to end up wishing I had a tenor instead when I gain more experience?
I think if a demand for it comes builders will make them. The Ohana 5 string tenor is very nice though but it is a tenor:)

I have seen a Kanilea 5 string on ebay before, and a bunch of builders will build a 5 string but there are not a lot of budget ukes with 5 strings.

Thanks for that, I hadn't found the Kanilea 5 string yet. Definitely an option! Anybody out there ever play a Kanilea 5 string concert? How does it sound?

I think if a demand for it comes builders will make them. The Ohana 5 string tenor is very nice though but it is a tenor:)

I'm keeping an eye on that Ohana 5 string tenor of yours, don't you worry, particularly since it's on sale, I'm just cranky about giving up the concert size to get that low G.

Thanks for that, I hadn't found the Kanilea 5 string yet. Definitely an option! Anybody out there ever play a Kanilea 5 string concert? How does it sound?

I haven't played one, I am pretty sure it is an option on their website though. Also Moore Bettah has a 5 string option, it would be on the more pricey side but it would be an amazing instrument. I have a Concert of his and it is second to none.

I haven't played one, I am pretty sure it is an option on their website though. Also Moore Bettah has a 5 string option, it would be on the more pricey side but it would be an amazing instrument. I have a Concert of his and it is second to none.

I don't know how you guys get these Moore Bettahs, his website says he's too backlogged to take new orders, and when he offers any for sale they are always sold before you can even hear about them. I have a feeling that I don't have enough secret connections to get one, but you're right, it would probably be awesome!

I don't know how you guys get these Moore Bettahs, his website says he's too backlogged to take new orders, and when he offers any for sale they are always sold before you can even hear about them. I have a feeling that I don't have enough secret connections to get one, but you're right, it would probably be awesome!

I think I got lucky, it was a couple of years ago and I contacted him and he had an open spot. I was also getting a NSB so it was/is not one of his amazing inlay works of art but is still an amazing instrument.

Another option might be to get a 6 string and have a new nut and bridge installed, and just not use the 6th sting or tuner. Not sure if this would be worth the hassle compared to just haveing what you wand made, and the 6 string Concert market is pretty slim, but they are out there.

Top Bottom