Some advice please

ichadwick

Reaction score
Fellow UUers: I have just got a Sony FS300 camcorder. Pretty simply, basic model, but all digital (not HD). Would like some advice on making music videos, adding dubs, etc.

Should I use the camcorder's built in mic or try to add something external? I have a nice Samson Gtrack mic, but it is USB, so won't work with the camcorder. Anyone have experience with this camcorder's sound reproduction?

I have Corel's Video program, as well as an older version of Adobe's premiere Elements. haven't used either - any suggestions or comments?

What I'd like to do is record a song, then add tracks like a bass line. Or create an audio track, and play along with it on video.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

... I have a nice Samson Gtrack mic, but it is USB, so won't work with the camcorder ...

A USB mic will work perfectly with your video recorder. The trick is to think of the video and audio as two separate things (which is exactly what they are).

Plug your mic into your computer. If it is a PC, use Audacity (a free program) to record the audio. On a Mac you can use a similar program. This will enable you to tweak the audio (up the volume, add reverb, etc) and produce an MP3.

Start the camera at pretty much the same time as the audio. It is a good idea to count yourself in. This will enable you to easily sync the video with the audio. You can edit this out later.

When you sync the audio and video in your video editor, have both the camera audio and the mp3 playing to enable you to sync them. Turn off the camera audio when you have done the sync.

If you want to multi track (add more vocals or instruments), do this before you create your MP3.

Top Bottom