Least squeak from low g wound?

CTurner

Reaction score
I just got a uke with low g Aquilas, which have the low g wound. I am not a fan of wound because of the squeaks and slide-sounds they make which I find very distracting from the music.

But, those of you who use wound low g's, here is my question: which low wound g have you found that makes the <least> amount of noise?

Also, is there a difference in squeak when using flat-wound strings opposed to round-wound strings? Is it possible to get a low g string that is flat-wound for uke?

BTW: this is for a tenor uke.

Thanks

I understand your question, but why not avoid the problem completely? I have been a fan of Aquila, but not the wound, low G, which squeaks when finger brushed and booms when plucked. I recently re-strung my Kanila'a tenor with Worth BMLG and am very pleased with the result. Clear tone, no squeak, no boom, and nice to the touch.

A few months ago, I took a slight excursion into low G tuning.

If you are going to use a wound low G string, LaBella makes ground and polished studio classical guitar strings that reduce string squeek. A ground and polished string has a smoother surface which reduces the squeek when you move your fingers.

I used a D string from the La Bella 413P set. The string is sold individually as 14ST-Studio by Strings By Mail. With shipping, it isn't cheap.

D'Addario also makes ground and polished classical guitar strings that I have not tried.

I'm back to high G tuning.

John

If you only want a wound string, the low g wound I used with the least squeak was the Savarez Corum.

But I still couldn't handle the wound and use nonwound low g on my uke (the Worth CHLGHD ones).

I really appreciate the responses. Yes, I have normally used non-wound for low g (like wickedwahine), the Worth LGHD and like them a lot.
There are a number of players I admire who do use wound and, in an attempt to keep an open mind about it, asked here. But maybe that is just part of the amazing uke landscape and I can stay happy with unwound.
Thanks to all.

Top Bottom