wanna ask about the chords changes from GCEA tuning to G#BEB

minnieys

Reaction score
hi

some friend of mine show me this trick to playing E chord at a more cheating way by tuning to G#BEB

also the different chords way also change for example B is 0243 (from btm) and F is 2020 and A is 2021

anyone noe a web or thread that shows the different tuning and method to play the chords, cause i wish to noe more chords to like playing Bm, and F and all that

thanks for tip

I have never heard of this tuning. Incidently, where are you from?

tuning to G#BEB [snip] B is 0243 (from btm) and F is 2020 and A is 2021
[snip&edit] I wish to know more chords to like playing Bm, and F and all that

Hi minnieys

This is a cool tuning. Certianly makes playing E easier!

When I write fret numbers, I use the "nose-to-toe" method. The first number is for the string closest to your nose and the fourth number for the string closest to your toe. In that convention, the E chord, of course, is 0 0 0 0, and the B chord would be written as 3 4 2 0. I'm lost on your "2020". It is not an F chord. The "F#" chord is 2 2 2 2; the A chord is 1 2 0 2. The three chords in key of E (E, A, and B) are covered! So are the three chords in key of B (B, E and F#).

I use a number of alternate tunings on guitar and I live with them. The problem is one tuning makes some chords easier but other chords harder. There's no good all around "one tuning". On this G# B E B, it's really hard to play C chord, for example. which can be 4 1 0 1 or 4 5 0 5. So you win some, and you lose some.

On guitar, people use alternate tunings to get a very specific voicing in a certain key (there are other reasons too however).

I think there are two approaches to alternate tunings.

(a) Methodical - you make a "map" of a note on each fret for each string, and write out notes for a chord you need. You mark the notes on the fretboard and that tells you various chord shapes.

(b) Just strum along and look for cool sounding chord shapes. If you need to, map out the notes and figure out what it is. This is hit and miss, but you might strumble across really cool voicings.

Have fun!
Chief

Something tells me your friend is a slide guitar player :) The tuning you describe would be an open E tuning and I've never heard of anyone using that on ukulele but if you want to play slide uke that would probably be a good choice of tunings for it!

Otherwise, though, it's probably better to learn the chords in "standard" tuning because, no matter what you tune to, some chords will be easy while others will be hard. If you're playing with others they aren't going to wait for you to change tunings between songs!

John

@ chiefnoda whoops i got it wrong the 0202 is suppose to be C#M
thanks for tips up

i tried the website that culpr give, it is indeed difficult to play some chord more, especially the C chord from a easy 0003 to some hard fingering

@olderphart yup he is and a pianist, he just took my uke, play with my tuning, and figure out the tuning even when he didnt noe how to play the uke--music genius
i thought itwould be easier for some songs, espically hey soul sister, changing from E to C#M

just a question,
i see some youtube video and some threads here,
some song they suggest different tuning
but how about the chords, do i change the fingering too? (cause i rmber seeing a video saying something about playing the same chords, which got me quite confuse)

Last edited:
but how about the chords, do i change the fingering too? (cause i rmber seeing a video saying something about playing the same chords, which got me quite confuse)

The chords remain the same, but the chord shapes change on different tunings. If you play Soul Sister, you still play E and C#m but on the G# B E B tuning, your chord shapes (fingerings) change to 0000 and 0202.

If you are interested in playing Hey Soul Sister and if it does not have to be in E, you can transpose it to F (only one half step above). If you do, you can substitute

E >>> F 2 0 1 0

C#m >>> Dm 2 2 1 0

A >>> Bb 3 2 1 1

B >>> C 0 0 0 3

Or, lower the key to C as

E >>> C 0 0 0 3

C#m >>> Am 2 0 0 0

A >>> F 2 0 1 0

B >>> G 0 2 3 2

Cheers
Chief

Top Bottom