Vintage Harmony ukulele

philpot

Reaction score
I have a friend who told me she had her grandmothers old antique ukulele in her closet somewhere, so I told her to send me pictures. this is what I got...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any idea of the era? I know its hard from one picture, but from the logo on the headstock and the general design compared to pictures it kinda looks like 50s? Maybe? Also, any idea if these are any good for playing or for value? Thanks!

Thats what I figured about the era... does anyone have any experience with these, are they any good sound/playability wise?

That one looks like it is in great shape.

As far as playability, they are usually very playable. Sometimes they need adjustments to the action but that isn't a big deal. Sound is usually a little thin, not super loud because I believe they are a plywood laminate.....however, they are fun little ukuleles. I would love to pick up one that is in pristine condition like that one.

Is she willing to sell it to you? They come up all the time on eBay so not rare but still a good little uke. Kind of the Kala/Lanikai of the 50's.

It is very similar to the Harmony soprano my father-in law gave me
uke 1.jpg
uke 2.jpg
which I was told is early to mid 50's vintage.

The intonation isn't the greatest, and the plastic on the tuners have small cracks, but when I tightened the screws slightly it stopped slipping out of tune quite so quickly.

The sound is a little thin, but still not bad at all. It really was my first ukulele, and although I have a problem with the soprano size (fumble fingers are too big), it is very playable.

-Kurt

That one looks like it is in great shape.

As far as playability, they are usually very playable. Sometimes they need adjustments to the action but that isn't a big deal. Sound is usually a little thin, not super loud because I believe they are a plywood laminate.....however, they are fun little ukuleles. I would love to pick up one that is in pristine condition like that one.

Is she willing to sell it to you? They come up all the time on eBay so not rare but still a good little uke. Kind of the Kala/Lanikai of the 50's.

I doubt they would sell it, theres probably a fair bit of sentimental value to it considering her grandmother bought it new... But I wouldn't mind cleaning it up and restringing it for them ;)

Yes - 50's era and yes also to birch plywood construction and plastic fretboard. They are a little thin sounding, and were always budget ukes, but that said, they aren't bad. Their collectibility stems not from being great instruments, but from being great looking. This happens to be a fairly average looking one, but check the other thread on Harmony ukes to see how brightly painted and decorated the ukes from the 50s and early 60s were. Amazing.

harmony uke.jpg

This uke is at the local flea market. It has a molded plastic fingerboard and painted on binding. It seems to play just fine and stays in tune. Seems to be in very good shape. Are they worth having? What should I pay for it? The seller is asking $25.

Last edited:
Honestly for twenty five bucks take a shot at it. If it looks to be in good condition and isnt obviously coming apart or warped might as well. Twenty five bucks is barely enough for two people to get lunch anymore so maybe make a meal at home this week or cut back on something little and scoop that baby up!

Top Bottom