I was wrong...

andreavmusic

Reaction score
When I first started playing the uke and browsing these forums I learned about a little thing called UAS. I naively thought that I wouldn't end up having a dozen ukes in my possession...boy was I wrong. Well I don't have a dozen, but now I find myself surrounded by three ukes. Now when did that happen?! haha

You are not alone, currently I have two, but I have gone through seven. Yup,,,,,,your hooked.

It happens with most stringed instruments. I'm mainly a guitar player, and over the past 5 years I've owned over 100 guitars. Had 40 in my possession at one time. Owned over 30 amps in that time and over 250 effects pedals.

Now I'm down to 11 guitars, 2 amps and about 18 effect pedals. Much happier too :)

As far as Ukes, I've only owned 2 at any one time. Now I've got 3 (one is my wife's that I gave her), and I'm looking at another one right now! And have another 2 in mind. I think my GAS has evolved into UAS!!! Got the guitar gear I need, now bring on the ukes!!!

Think I topped out at 64 guitars, since started playin Uke in Sept 09 I have sold or given away about 10 guitars. Also have 8 or 10 Mandolins. Think I have 17 ukes.
Only play Uke now. Do I need some kind of intervention or something?

Aloha Andrea,
Anyone is susceptible to UAS....girl you're so lucky to be mildly affected....with three ukes...haven't heard from you in a while...hope all is well....Happy Strummings..MM Stan

I just ordered a makala pineapple and want to also get me a red burst dolphin.... hey the pineapple was 39 bucks delivered and the dolphin is 32 but I am going to Norway and I don't want my wife pissed with all the deliveries lmao

You are not alone, currently I have two, but I have gone through seven. Yup,,,,,,your hooked.

haha yeah I know! Pretty mild case. Although I wouldn't complain if I had a few more, I don't think my wallet will approve!

Got the guitar gear I need, now bring on the ukes!!!

lol yeah words to live by!

Think I topped out at 64 guitars, since started playin Uke in Sept 09 I have sold or given away about 10 guitars. Also have 8 or 10 Mandolins. Think I have 17 ukes.

not at all! that sounds wonderful! I've been looking into getting a mandolin as well to add to my relatively small but growing collection of instruments!

Aloha Andrea,
Anyone is susceptible to UAS....girl you're so lucky to be mildly affected....with three ukes...haven't heard from you in a while...hope all is well....Happy Strummings..MM Stan

The tug of UAS is a constant force. Lucky for my wallet that it's a mild case right? =]

I just ordered a makala pineapple and want to also get me a red burst dolphin.... hey the pineapple was 39 bucks delivered and the dolphin is 32 but I am going to Norway and I don't want my wife pissed with all the deliveries lmao

haha she gets the door only to find several deliveries of ukuleles waiting at the door! I wonder what my parents would do if that happened!

When I first started playing the uke and browsing these forums I learned about a little thing called UAS. I naively thought that I wouldn't end up having a dozen ukes in my possession...boy was I wrong. Well I don't have a dozen, but now I find myself surrounded by three ukes. Now when did that happen?! haha

No, you're quite correct - you have not succumbed to UAS. After all, you only have three.

You're merely feeling the tug - nothing to worry about.

You might want to think about a concert sized, or may a soprano or two... Just pick them up, and bring them home. Play them for a while. No UAS to worry about, nope, none at all. And a pineapple... You really do need a pineapple.... And maybe a banjo uke or two....

But nope, no UAS. You're doing fine.

-Kurt

I've got 3 and a 4th on it's way. Still on the hunt for at least 1 nice sopranino/piccalo, soprano and concert as well and a solidbody electric. It's an addiction but at least it's not bad for me (well except my bank account)

Well I (snaps suspenders) am quite proud of myself. In the past month I gave away two of my ukes (Lanikai 8-string to a friend and Lanikai concert to wife) and only ordered one, which has yet to arrive. I am also planning on putting my Kala solid acacia pocket uke up in the market place when I get off my lazy backside long enough to take some good pictures.

I therefore am declaring myself cured of UAS - at least until either Mainland offers a mango long neck soprano or I break down and succumb to the pressure to obtain the same in a Hawaiian "k-brand" koa. Or I find something I can't pass up on eBay. Or I decide I really could use a banjo uke. Or I decide I need a baritone.

:biglaugh:

John

Baritones aren't ukuleles, they're broken guitars :p

Heh, heh. That's kind of how I look at it too, but my hands aren't as young as they used to be so I'm considering the possibility of letting go of my steel string acoustic and switch to baritone uke. Haven't made up my mind yet, but the first step will be acquiring a baritone so I can see if I can bring myself to make the switch.

I'd be biting your hand off for that pocket but I've just blown most my savings on a Pete Howlett custom Tenor :(

Heh, heh. I guess I better wear gloves... :)

John

:eek:UAS is a condition (like old age) that I do not wish to be cured of. And if you think 3 ukes is UAS, read my signature line.

Enjoy!

Please don't go for any intervention! I need posts like yours to prove to my wife that my uke collection is just "average" :drool:

I think you are the winner. Obviously independently wealthy! :)

Been playing the uke for only a little over a year and just got my third! It's not an illness, it's a blessing! Enjoy it.

You have an Uke named Joey!! COOL ^_^

UAS isn't too bad, but it's rife on these forums, I have four in the space of six months!

I'm saving this to show my wife next time she gets squirelly after I buy a uke, fishing pole or... BTY, How do you keeps the guitars in fresh strings?

In my roughly 5 months of playing, I've already got three: A Rogue baritone (the gateway instrument--I'm a recovering guitarist, and thought I'd try a familiar layout first, but I quickly figured out that I want to learn the new language of re-entrant tuning), my gorgeous Kala Exotic Mahogany tenor (with this instrument, I've truly fallen in love with ukulele, and haven't touched a guitar in months--I'd love to have a nice all-solid one eventually, but if you've been keeping an eye on this year's New England winter, you'll understand that laminate construction was an EXCELLENT choice for me), and a surprisingly playable red plastic Tiki First Act uke from Toys R Us. It's a silly toy, but with new strings and a little setup work, it is quite playable, and has become the office uke (I'm a professor--I can tell the fad is still growing by the number of students who ask me about it when they see it--an excellent icebreaker, and I'm just good enough to convince them that ukulele is a legitimate instrument). I'll need to get rid of some of the results of GAS before my wife will tolerate more UAS--I have two acoustic guitars, 5 electrics, and two basses. Something has to go.

Top Bottom