PDA

View Full Version : Calling Owners: Sing Praises for Ko'Aloha

pdxuke
02-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I've purchased my first K brand, and I'm excited. Through the marketplace I've purchased a lovely looking Ko'Aloha Pikake. I do not like gloss ukes, and the satin finish really excites me. I'm also very pleased that this uke has the old style bridge-- I almost bought one new at Christmas but the new bridge stopped me dead in my tracks.

So, I thought, while I wait (that terrible, long wait) I could occupy myself by reading what you fans of this mighty Uke House love about her.

So

What can I expect from my new Ko'Aloha? What do you love about yours?

I've also posted a poll for owners of the model I'll be getting: the soprano Pikake--what strings do you use on her?

Thanks in advance for helping me get through the wait. Post pictures of yours if you want. Here's mine (thanks, Jeff!)

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19976

Gmoney
02-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Good purchase! I'm sure you'll love it. I bought mine used as well from another UU'er & it came w/Aquila's. They sound great so have never changed them. But I really think I would like to try Worths - clears & then browns for awhile. I might even go for the new Ko'olau Alohi strings to give them a go. I can't imagine how that uke won't quickly become your favorite.

hottoddy
02-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I get my KoAloha Pikake soprano tomorrow at 10am! It was ordered from MGM via phone (wasn't on his eBay listings). It will be my first ukulele, but I have been an on-and-off again guitar player for quite a while. I have no first hand experience, but all my research kept leading me back to the Pikake. It will take me quite a while to learn about the various ukulele strings - but it comes with Aquila.

experimentjon
02-04-2011, 02:29 PM
I like the way the Browns sound on KoAlohas. Admittedly, I've got clears on a lot of mine, but it's more a function of me having sets of Clears on hand already and not wanting to go out and buy more strings.

iDavid
02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
The KoAloha Pikake concert is a PERFECT concert ukulele. It will be the only concert you will ever need, seriously. I have one and it is so SWEEEEEEET.
It has tons of Volume for a concert and will give most tenors a run for their money and blow the doors off some in the progress.

It is a well balance uke, warm, and sparkly, and.... great for strumming, picking.... anything ya like

I still have the stock strings. I just can't imagine it sounding any better than it does now.

I have a few other ukes, but this one remains the favorite. I really don't care for the KoAloha tenor, btw. I much prefer my Kanilea Sound Monster for a tenor. I have a Compass Rose on order, so we will see how that goes.

Ronnie Aloha
02-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Uh, I think that Pikake is a soprano...just sayin... : )

janeray1940
02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
I had a Pikake soprano but ended up selling it to another UU'er when I needed more frets. I like the satin finish a lot, too. It had Worth Clears on it and they sounded great - so much so that I switched my Kamaka soprano from Aquilas to Worth Clears, just when I thought it couldn't get any better :)

MGM
02-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Pikakes are made in soprano and concert by koaloha...where's my phone.....if only i had a charger ...wheres that United lost baggage delivery

OldePhart
02-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I voted Worth clear - though what I really use is a custom set of Seaguar fluorocarbon fishing leaders that is equivalent to a Worth CM with a slightly lighter E string (.0244 vs .0260).

Then, I noticed that you said Pikake - and mine isn't a Pikake - oh well.

John

didgeridoo2
02-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Congrats Thom! I am a big fan of worth clears on my KoAloha tenor. I haven't tried browns on it, but I have used them as a low set on a solid mahogany tenor neck soprano. I didn't like them on that at all.

Indianarick
02-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Love my KoAloho Pikake concert. It just sings. I have started to get more into tenors lately, but i keep coming back to this one. Easiest to play. Sounds the best. Lightest. I love it. (though i have started salivating for a Collings too). Sigh. UAS strikes again.

iDavid
02-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Love my KoAloho Pikake concert. It just sings. I have started to get more into tenors lately, but i keep coming back to this one. Easiest to play. Sounds the best. Lightest. I love it. (though i have started salivating for a Collings too). Sigh. UAS strikes again.

I bought a Collings concert, but sent it back. The pikake blew the doors off in every aspect. Well, the workmanship on the Collings was a clear step above the KoAloha, but that was it.