Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Aquila

• Other

• Total voters

pdxuke

Reaction score
I've purchased my first K brand, and I'm excited. Through the marketplace I've purchased a lovely looking Ko'Aloha Pikake. I do not like gloss ukes, and the satin finish really excites me. I'm also very pleased that this uke has the old style bridge-- I almost bought one new at Christmas but the new bridge stopped me dead in my tracks.

So, I thought, while I wait (that terrible, long wait) I could occupy myself by reading what you fans of this mighty Uke House love about her.

So

What can I expect from my new Ko'Aloha? What do you love about yours?

I've also posted a poll for owners of the model I'll be getting: the soprano Pikake--what strings do you use on her?

Thanks in advance for helping me get through the wait. Post pictures of yours if you want. Here's mine (thanks, Jeff!)

attachment.php

Good purchase! I'm sure you'll love it. I bought mine used as well from another UU'er & it came w/Aquila's. They sound great so have never changed them. But I really think I would like to try Worths - clears & then browns for awhile. I might even go for the new Ko'olau Alohi strings to give them a go. I can't imagine how that uke won't quickly become your favorite.

I get my KoAloha Pikake soprano tomorrow at 10am! It was ordered from MGM via phone (wasn't on his eBay listings). It will be my first ukulele, but I have been an on-and-off again guitar player for quite a while. I have no first hand experience, but all my research kept leading me back to the Pikake. It will take me quite a while to learn about the various ukulele strings - but it comes with Aquila.

I like the way the Browns sound on KoAlohas. Admittedly, I've got clears on a lot of mine, but it's more a function of me having sets of Clears on hand already and not wanting to go out and buy more strings.

The KoAloha Pikake concert is a PERFECT concert ukulele. It will be the only concert you will ever need, seriously. I have one and it is so SWEEEEEEET.
It has tons of Volume for a concert and will give most tenors a run for their money and blow the doors off some in the progress.

It is a well balance uke, warm, and sparkly, and.... great for strumming, picking.... anything ya like

I still have the stock strings. I just can't imagine it sounding any better than it does now.

I have a few other ukes, but this one remains the favorite. I really don't care for the KoAloha tenor, btw. I much prefer my Kanilea Sound Monster for a tenor. I have a Compass Rose on order, so we will see how that goes.

I had a Pikake soprano but ended up selling it to another UU'er when I needed more frets. I like the satin finish a lot, too. It had Worth Clears on it and they sounded great - so much so that I switched my Kamaka soprano from Aquilas to Worth Clears, just when I thought it couldn't get any better :)

I voted Worth clear - though what I really use is a custom set of Seaguar fluorocarbon fishing leaders that is equivalent to a Worth CM with a slightly lighter E string (.0244 vs .0260).

Then, I noticed that you said Pikake - and mine isn't a Pikake - oh well.

John

Congrats Thom! I am a big fan of worth clears on my KoAloha tenor. I haven't tried browns on it, but I have used them as a low set on a solid mahogany tenor neck soprano. I didn't like them on that at all.

Love my KoAloho Pikake concert. It just sings. I have started to get more into tenors lately, but i keep coming back to this one. Easiest to play. Sounds the best. Lightest. I love it. (though i have started salivating for a Collings too). Sigh. UAS strikes again.

Love my KoAloho Pikake concert. It just sings. I have started to get more into tenors lately, but i keep coming back to this one. Easiest to play. Sounds the best. Lightest. I love it. (though i have started salivating for a Collings too). Sigh. UAS strikes again.

I bought a Collings concert, but sent it back. The pikake blew the doors off in every aspect. Well, the workmanship on the Collings was a clear step above the KoAloha, but that was it.

Top Bottom