Black Diamond Ukulele strings?

philpot

Reaction score
has anyone used these strings? Do you like them? Rather then buy strings online and pay shipping I would like to buy them locally, and it looks like I may have to buy them sooner then my imagined because my dang new Martin strings are buzzing :mad: SO ANNOYING. No music stores around here have any ukulele strings (except one store that has Kala brand strings but I can't imagine those would be too impressive...), but a large pawn shop near me has Martin "Crystal Nylon" strings and Black Diamond brand strings. So really 2 questions, are the "Crystal Nylon" Martin strings thicker than the fluorocarbons (assuming the buzzing is caused by the Martins being smaller then the Aquilas and they're sitting lower in the nut?), and are Black Diamond strings worth buying? Helpz pl0x ^.^

Maybe whilst you are waiting for an answer to your question you could try to lift the strings you currently have by placing a shim of paper in the nut slots on the strings that are buzzing. Just a thought.

Hope you can resolve your buzzing soon.

Cheers, Tony

The buzzing was improved by lifting the saddle a little, not gone but improved. I'll raise it a little more, because I honestly love the sound of the Martins. I played in my bathroom today (the acoustics are amaaaaazing ^.^) and I heard things from my uke that ive never heard before :D it was... amazing. to say the least. So I'll keep em on for awhile at least, but by the time I'm by the pawn shop again it might have driven me crazy. So I'm still looking for input :p

Black Diamond strings have been around a long time. They must be doing something right. These are called out as "White Nylon". Usually that refers to a material that would be thicker than your Martins - that could help with the buzz if it is slight. If it is the material I am thinking of, the sound is somewhere between original nylon and nylgut - will be a bit softer sounding than the Martins.

You should buy a set and give everyone a report!

Also, I think you're on the right road with practicing in the bathroom. One of my all time favorite guitar players, Joao Gilberto used to sit in his friends' bathroom (couldn't afford his own place) and play the same chord over and over for sometimes eight hours a day, months at a time. Wanted to get his sound down right. Good acoustics, as you say. Even today he can strum the same chord 20 times in a row and give it 20 different sounds.

Stay in that bathroom and you'll come out good in the end!

Last edited:
Top Bottom