PDA

View Full Version : I think I have a Kamaka problem...

janeray1940
02-04-2011, 05:10 PM
...I can't stop buying them :)

Just got back from almost 3 hours in mad rush-hour Friday evening Los Angeles traffic to buy a 2008 HF-2 concert. It was a sweet deal and I couldn't pass it up.

I had been trying to make up my mind what uke I wanted to buy next - I needed another concert size to string low-G. Knowing that I'm terrible at making decisions when confronted with too many choices, a wiser person than myself suggested that I just get another Kamaka concert and be done with it. Genius! And a couple days later, one found me.

Didn't have any low-G strings at home, but had to take off the stock strings since I don't care for them. Instead of going with my usual Aquilas, I tried out some Fremont Blackline Hards. I think I might love them.

philpot
02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I wish I had that same problem ;)

wickedwahine11
02-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Congratulations. Pics please?

And the Fremont Blacklines are nice. I used to use a set of those on my Kamaka tenor. Enjoy the new uke. :)

janeray1940
02-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Congratulations. Pics please?

And the Fremont Blacklines are nice. I used to use a set of those on my Kamaka tenor. Enjoy the new uke. :)

Thanks! A few days back when there was that "post pics of your ukes" thread going around, I felt terrible because I haven't taken pics of *any* of my Kamakas. Tomorrow, hopefully :)

Any idea if there are low G concert Fremont Blacklines? None of my usual online sources seems to have them. I'll have to see what McCabe's has this weekend.

wickedwahine11
02-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks! A few days back when there was that "post pics of your ukes" thread going around, I felt terrible because I haven't taken pics of *any* of my Kamakas. Tomorrow, hopefully :)

Any idea if there are low G concert Fremont Blacklines? None of my usual online sources seems to have them. I'll have to see what McCabe's has this weekend.

You can buy an individual low g Blackline string, that is what I used to do. MGM doesn't have a solo one listed right now on his ebay site, but you can see from this auction that he does have them available, and the low g string says you can use it for soprano, concert or tenor. You may want to email or call him and see if you can buy just the individual string rather than this string from him.

http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!BUOwL8gCGk~$(KGrHgoH-EUEjlLluH(EBKM,IFWPww~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/TENOR-Ukulele-String-low-g-Fremont-Hilo-Aquila-Koolau-/330526876443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf4efe31b

janeray1940
02-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Or I'll just hit him up when I'm at the Ukulele Picnic next Sunday :)

I just realized that Flea Market Music has low G concert sets, so if I can't get hold of a single string at least I know there's that option.

Or, hmmm, get Aquila low G for the other uke...

Decisions...

wickedwahine11
02-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Or I'll just hit him up when I'm at the Ukulele Picnic next Sunday :)

I just realized that Flea Market Music has low G concert sets, so if I can't get hold of a single string at least I know there's that option.

Or, hmmm, get Aquila low G for the other uke...

Decisions...

Have fun at the picnic. One thing to note, I think the Aquilas are wound strings usually. I don't know if you care but some folks, myself included, prefer to stay with non-wound strings, which make Fremont and Worth the usual non-wound options.

janeray1940
02-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Have fun at the picnic. One thing to note, I think the Aquilas are wound strings usually. I don't know if you care but some folks, myself included, prefer to stay with non-wound strings, which make Fremont and Worth the usual non-wound options.

Good to know, I was wondering about wound vs. non-wound. I have a feeling my preference will run toward non.

soupking
02-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Wound strings really do suck; unless you feel like buying about five of them per month because in my experience they wear out extremely fast. I never tried a non-wound low g until I got the Koaloha tenor- SO much better.

marymac
02-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Mike at Uke Republic usually has Fremont low G strings. He also has Orcas low G which seemed identical to the Fremont ones to me.

janeray1940
02-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Mike at Uke Republic usually has Fremont low G strings. He also has Orcas low G which seemed identical to the Fremont ones to me.

Thanks marymac, I just saw your post on this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?41919-A-plea-for-sanity.-Fremont-low-G-info-another-nerdy-string-thread./page2) and headed straight to Uke Republic to order a couple.

And ohhhhh - that Pohaku is lovely. The custom uke you're having built must be something really special!

hmgberg
02-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Great decision. Two Kamakas, twice as nice.

marymac
02-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks marymac, I just saw your post on this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?41919-A-plea-for-sanity.-Fremont-low-G-info-another-nerdy-string-thread./page2) and headed straight to Uke Republic to order a couple.

And ohhhhh - that Pohaku is lovely. The custom uke you're having built must be something really special!

I thought you might see that other thread but I posted it here in case you didn't. I have a bunch of photos of my new uke in progress. I should make a thread about it one of these days.

janeray1940
02-04-2011, 07:24 PM
I should make a thread about it one of these days.

Yes, please :)

marymac
02-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Yes, please :)

I knew you were going to say that!

mm stan
02-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Congratulations Jane....having two Kamaka concerts makes it always sweeter.....Have fun at the picnic....Happy Strummings..MM Stan
BTW...which one sounds better....#1 or #2????

janeray1940
02-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Congratulations Jane....having two Kamaka concerts makes it always sweeter.....Have fun at the picnic....Happy Strummings..MM Stan
BTW...which one sounds better....#1 or #2????

You know, I'm not sure at this point, but I'm leaning toward #2, although that might be due to the Fremont strings - I had no idea that I would like them as much as I do! For a fair comparison, I think I'd have to have the same kind of strings on both.

pdxuke
02-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Nice move, Jane! Can a pineapple be far behind?

guitharsis
02-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Congrats, Jane. Great idea, two Kamaka concerts!

HornedOne
02-05-2011, 01:43 AM
as long as you can afford it there is no problem right? :P

NatalieS
02-05-2011, 04:07 AM
I love Fremont strings on my Kamaka too. They are the perfect match!

bueller
02-05-2011, 04:14 AM
The only Kamaka problem is not have enough of them

janeray1940
02-05-2011, 04:33 AM
Nice move, Jane! Can a pineapple be far behind?

I would love to get a pineapple! I just haven't had much luck finding one that meets my criteria (koa or mahogany, extended fretboard soprano or concert size, made in Hawaii) - so hey, any recommendations? :)

janeray1940
02-05-2011, 04:34 AM
Natalie, I *thought* you were the one who had mentioned that, and was just about to start searching for your post. They really do sound great, and I like the tension a lot.

pdxuke
02-05-2011, 08:01 AM
I would love to get a pineapple! I just haven't had much luck finding one that meets my criteria (koa or mahogany, extended fretboard soprano or concert size, made in Hawaii) - so hey, any recommendations? :)

I guess you'll have to have Fred make you a custom! :o

soupking
02-05-2011, 08:12 AM

Also check Koolau's website. I'm pretty sure they make pineapples in all sizes. It would probably have to be a custom though, I think.

janeray1940
02-05-2011, 08:17 AM
I guess you'll have to have Fred make you a custom! :o

I can dream, can't I :) I even know what I want: pineapple body with concert neck and sail headstock. Shouldn't be too hard, if they ever get back to taking custom orders.

Kamaka does make a long neck pineapple (http://ukulele.pua2.com/details/hp1l.html), available by special order. I was pretty close to ordering one a couple months back, but via UU heard some not-so-great things about them. If I ever have the chance to play one in person and I like it, I may reconsider.

Just remembered that Koaloha makes a concert-neck pineapple that I've been tempted by a few times too.

Derg
02-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Just remembered that Koaloha makes a concert-neck pineapple that I've been tempted by a few times too.

And mine blows me away every time I play it. Also, I'm constantly surprised by how well balanced it is considering you would think it would be top heavy.

molokinirum
02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Awesome!!! Now if I could convince the Mrs. that I need another Kamaka tenor in low g!!!!

Gmoney
02-05-2011, 10:26 AM
The only Kamaka problem is not have enough of them

I have that w/KoAloha's! But... probably going to change that w/my most recent vintage Kamaka pineapple purchase.

janeray1940
02-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Hey all. Pictures, as promised, can be found here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/littleblackmaryjanes/sets/72157625865990711/with/5422385859/).

One of these days I'll figure out how to upload pictures directly into a post. Today is not that day :)

OldePhart
02-06-2011, 10:34 AM
One of these days I'll figure out how to upload pictures directly into a post. Today is not that day :)
Hmmm, that would make a pretty good sig.

janeray1940
02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Hmmm, that would make a pretty good sig.

Feel free to borrow it :)

marymac
02-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Ooo - I love all those sail tops. Do you notice any difference between the sound of the two concerts, or do they sound the same?

janeray1940
02-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Ooo - I love all those sail tops. Do you notice any difference between the sound of the two concerts, or do they sound the same?

I can't decide! Right now sound-wise my preference is for the "new" one, although I think the "old" one might be a little prettier to look at. I think the main difference I'm hearing is between the strings - the "new" one has Fremont Blacklines, which I've fallen hard for. They seem louder than Aquilas and more... I don't know, bell-like is the only way I can think of describing it. I've got a Fremont low G set on its way to me in the mail, and I'm going to put that on the "old" one (which currently has Aquilas) and then do a comparison.

guitharsis
02-07-2011, 03:58 AM
Hey all. Pictures, as promised, can be found here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/littleblackmaryjanes/sets/72157625865990711/with/5422385859/).

Love those Kamkas! Ditto on the Fremont blacklines. Enjoy. :)

pdxuke
02-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Beautiful. Thanks for the pics! They are on my wish list!

Ronnie Aloha
02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
See Kamaka, Buy Kamaka.

Where is the problem?

mm stan
02-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Aloha Jane,
Congrats, Nice Kamaka family...so when you come here, will you be tempted to get another one, say a pineapple... he he sorry the Kamaka enabler in me....Have fun and enjoy and Happy strummings! MM Stan

janeray1940
02-07-2011, 03:16 PM
See Kamaka, Buy Kamaka.

Where is the problem?

Problem? I don't see a problem :)

janeray1940
02-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Aloha Jane,
Congrats, Nice Kamaka family...so when you come here, will you be tempted to get another one, say a pineapple... he he sorry the Kamaka enabler in me....Have fun and enjoy and Happy strummings! MM Stan

Thanks Stan. Funny thing, that was what I was expecting to do - find a uke I loved when I'm in Hawaii next week, and then have to deal with shipping it home and all that. Instead, I found one nearby, and I can bring it with me and enjoy playing it during my stay in Hawaii :)

The pineapple Kamaka still calls to me though. Maybe the *next* trip...

pdxuke
02-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks Stan. Funny thing, that was what I was expecting to do - find a uke I loved when I'm in Hawaii next week, and then have to deal with shipping it home and all that. Instead, I found one nearby, and I can bring it with me and enjoy playing it during my stay in Hawaii :)

The pineapple Kamaka still calls to me though. Maybe the *next* trip...

Ha Jane: I'll bet you wind up with a new uke anyway! :-)

janeray1940
02-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Ha Jane: I'll be you wind up with a new uke anyway! :-)

Only if a generous stranger gives me one! My uke budget for the month is shot...

janeray1940
02-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Aloha Jane,

You know what? You were right. While in Hawaii, I didn't buy a single uke. At all. Wasn't even tempted. But at the Kamaka factory, I did play a pineapple and it was fabulous (but not for sale).

Now that I'm home, I want one! No, I *need* one! Sigh.