I think I have a Kamaka problem...

janeray1940

Reaction score
...I can't stop buying them :)

Just got back from almost 3 hours in mad rush-hour Friday evening Los Angeles traffic to buy a 2008 HF-2 concert. It was a sweet deal and I couldn't pass it up.

I had been trying to make up my mind what uke I wanted to buy next - I needed another concert size to string low-G. Knowing that I'm terrible at making decisions when confronted with too many choices, a wiser person than myself suggested that I just get another Kamaka concert and be done with it. Genius! And a couple days later, one found me.

Didn't have any low-G strings at home, but had to take off the stock strings since I don't care for them. Instead of going with my usual Aquilas, I tried out some Fremont Blackline Hards. I think I might love them.

Congratulations. Pics please?

And the Fremont Blacklines are nice. I used to use a set of those on my Kamaka tenor. Enjoy the new uke. :)

Congratulations. Pics please?

And the Fremont Blacklines are nice. I used to use a set of those on my Kamaka tenor. Enjoy the new uke. :)

Thanks! A few days back when there was that "post pics of your ukes" thread going around, I felt terrible because I haven't taken pics of *any* of my Kamakas. Tomorrow, hopefully :)

Any idea if there are low G concert Fremont Blacklines? None of my usual online sources seems to have them. I'll have to see what McCabe's has this weekend.

Thanks! A few days back when there was that "post pics of your ukes" thread going around, I felt terrible because I haven't taken pics of *any* of my Kamakas. Tomorrow, hopefully :)

Any idea if there are low G concert Fremont Blacklines? None of my usual online sources seems to have them. I'll have to see what McCabe's has this weekend.

You can buy an individual low g Blackline string, that is what I used to do. MGM doesn't have a solo one listed right now on his ebay site, but you can see from this auction that he does have them available, and the low g string says you can use it for soprano, concert or tenor. You may want to email or call him and see if you can buy just the individual string rather than this string from him.

!BUOwL8gCGk~$(KGrHgoH-EUEjlLluH(EBKM,IFWPww~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/TENOR-Ukulele-S...443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf4efe31b

Or I'll just hit him up when I'm at the Ukulele Picnic next Sunday :)

I just realized that Flea Market Music has low G concert sets, so if I can't get hold of a single string at least I know there's that option.

Or, hmmm, get Aquila low G for the other uke...

Decisions...

Or I'll just hit him up when I'm at the Ukulele Picnic next Sunday :)

I just realized that Flea Market Music has low G concert sets, so if I can't get hold of a single string at least I know there's that option.

Or, hmmm, get Aquila low G for the other uke...

Decisions...

Have fun at the picnic. One thing to note, I think the Aquilas are wound strings usually. I don't know if you care but some folks, myself included, prefer to stay with non-wound strings, which make Fremont and Worth the usual non-wound options.

Have fun at the picnic. One thing to note, I think the Aquilas are wound strings usually. I don't know if you care but some folks, myself included, prefer to stay with non-wound strings, which make Fremont and Worth the usual non-wound options.

Good to know, I was wondering about wound vs. non-wound. I have a feeling my preference will run toward non.

Wound strings really do suck; unless you feel like buying about five of them per month because in my experience they wear out extremely fast. I never tried a non-wound low g until I got the Koaloha tenor- SO much better.

Mike at Uke Republic usually has Fremont low G strings. He also has Orcas low G which seemed identical to the Fremont ones to me.

Mike at Uke Republic usually has Fremont low G strings. He also has Orcas low G which seemed identical to the Fremont ones to me.

Thanks marymac, I just saw your post on this thread and headed straight to Uke Republic to order a couple.

And ohhhhh - that Pohaku is lovely. The custom uke you're having built must be something really special!

Thanks marymac, I just saw your post on this thread and headed straight to Uke Republic to order a couple.

And ohhhhh - that Pohaku is lovely. The custom uke you're having built must be something really special!

I thought you might see that other thread but I posted it here in case you didn't. I have a bunch of photos of my new uke in progress. I should make a thread about it one of these days.

Congratulations Jane....having two Kamaka concerts makes it always sweeter.....Have fun at the picnic....Happy Strummings..MM Stan
BTW...which one sounds better....#1 or #2????

Congratulations Jane....having two Kamaka concerts makes it always sweeter.....Have fun at the picnic....Happy Strummings..MM Stan
BTW...which one sounds better....#1 or #2????

You know, I'm not sure at this point, but I'm leaning toward #2, although that might be due to the Fremont strings - I had no idea that I would like them as much as I do! For a fair comparison, I think I'd have to have the same kind of strings on both.

Nice move, Jane! Can a pineapple be far behind?

as long as you can afford it there is no problem right? :p

Top Bottom