PDA

View Full Version : New Anakoneke Uke I'm having built

marymac
02-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Janeray asked me to post some of the photos I have of the new uke I'm having built. The luthier is Toni Maloon who makes Anakoneke ukes in San Francisco. SO I get to support a woman luthier (rare in my experience), and local one to boot.

I chose her after seeing some of the ukes she designed and built on FMM. Toni has been very fun to work with and this is a fun sort of project that we've both enjoyed working on. I had some specific ideas and Toni put them into practice. I call this the Koa Custom Concert Cat uke. If you're interested in working on a uke with Toni her email is ukegirl13@gmail.com.

Here are some of the photos Toni has sent me over the past month. The first ones are of attaching the enharmonic braces on the front and back soundboard, and of bending the side panels.

marymac
02-04-2011, 08:22 PM

marymac
02-04-2011, 08:23 PM

marymac
02-04-2011, 08:25 PM

marymac
02-04-2011, 08:26 PM

marymac
02-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Last photos I have for now showing how the neck will be attached to the body...

When I get more photos I'll post them!

janeray1940
02-04-2011, 08:29 PM
That wood is gorgeous. And how great is it that you found a woman luthier! It hadn't occurred to me but now that I think about it, I certainly can't name any others.

The process of seeing it come together is fascinating. Thanks for posting those!

marymac
02-04-2011, 08:33 PM
That wood is gorgeous. And how great is it that you found a woman luthier! It hadn't occurred to me but now that I think about it, I certainly can't name any others.

The process of seeing it come together is fascinating. Thanks for posting those!

I think the photos in post 5 give the best idea of what it will look like. Black peghead with the white cat, kitty paws walking up the fretboard, and there will be a paw in the heel as well. She's doing a hand-rubbed finish on it so the wood should really stand out. I can't wait!

janeray1940
02-04-2011, 08:37 PM
I think the photos in post 5 give the best idea of what it will look like. Black peghead with the white cat, kitty paws walking up the fretboard, and there will be a paw in the heel as well. She's doing a hand-rubbed finish on it so the wood should really stand out. I can't wait!

Oh, the fret markers - I *love* the kitty paws! I'm a cat person too :) Looking forward to seeing more as it progresses!

Kanaka916
02-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Do you have contact info that can be posted? i.e. Website, email, phone number, etc.

guitharsis
02-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Congrats, Mary. It's just beautiful! Yes, great to be supporting a female luthier. Donna LoPrinzi is the only other female ukulele builder I know of. She's in Florida and works with her dad, Augustino.

Gmoney
02-05-2011, 03:50 AM

It is looking great! As to the "woman luthier question", Char of Mya-Moe comes to mine as does Donna LoPrinzi.

TCK
02-05-2011, 05:04 AM
My goodness- it is going to be gorgeous. Toni certainly builds some of the prettiest Ukes I have ever seen...She sent me some pictures of a Bloodwood one she did and I sigh every time I look at them, and put a few more dollars in my save up jar. Congratulations on it, and please make some sound files when you get it

Sake1one
02-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Love it! "Cat uke" looks like its gonna jam pretty hard! great build thread btw

downtoearthed
02-05-2011, 05:13 AM
I LOVE the pawprints! Keep us all posted on the progress.

Ronnie Aloha
02-05-2011, 05:21 AM
That is a great uke. I thought of Batman when I saw the headstock design. Love the paw prints.

7string
02-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Looks fantastic! I'm another lover of the paw prints.

The only time I've seen that before was gecko prints on a Takamine guitar!

Kanaka916
02-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Kathy Matsushita (http://home.comcast.net/~kathymatsushita/index.html) also comes to mind. She's an amateur luthier who does it for a hobby.

marymac
02-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Ah - excellent to hear that there are other women luthiers. I knew about Char and Donna once you mentioned them.

mm stan
02-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Aloha Mary,
Congratulations, It looks awesome...I like the cat inlay on the headstock..wow!! I'm a cat luvr too!! thanks for sharings...hope to see the finished pic's....keep us updated..I'm happy for you!! MM Stan
Toni sounds like a pleasure to do business with..as shows you the whole process....love her style!!!

marymac
02-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Toni sent me a couple more pics today. She's finished adding the frets and will be gluing the neck on soon. Check out the pawprint on the heel cap :)

If anyone is interested in contacting Toni about a custom uke her email is ukegirl13@gmail.com.

SailQwest
02-06-2011, 02:05 PM
What a gorgeous uke. I love the kitty theme!

pulelehua
02-07-2011, 08:06 AM
That is very cool. If you put it in front of a light, it could pass for the shadow of Batman. Just a thought... if you ever need to scare some villains.

marymac
02-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Hahaha - yes, someone else pointed out the batman thing. When I planned it I was thinking kitty ears - but I like bats too!

DAPuke
02-07-2011, 08:39 AM
That looks great, can't wait to see and hear the finished product. Thanks for sharing the process with us.
DAP

pulelehua
02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Hahaha - yes, someone else pointed out the batman thing. When I planned it I was thinking kitty ears - but I like bats too!

Missed the other Bat thing. Some originality, eh? ;) The paw prints are my favourite bit. Like a cat walked across the fretboard as it was being made. Genius.

808boy
02-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Aloha marymac,
Congrats on the awesome and beautiful uke. Nice to know that there's a local luthier close by with such a style and grace....outstanding. Can't wait to see and hear the finished product..................BO................

janeray1940
02-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Check out the pawprint on the heel cap :)

I love that!

dkcrown
02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Looks fantastic marymac. It will look even better when it is up on the wall in your uke room. Or better yet, in your hands. :)

marymac
02-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Got an email from Toni today and my Cat Uke is ready! She's going to bring it over tomorrow. Woohoo! I'll post pics once I have it. Toni didn't send finished pics yet because she didn't want to spoil the awe factor before I have it in my hands.

janeray1940
02-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Got an email from Toni today and my Cat Uke is ready! She's going to bring it over tomorrow. Woohoo! I'll post pics once I have it. Toni didn't send finished pics yet because she didn't want to spoil the awe factor before I have it in my hands.

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing the finished Cat Uke.

ADD
02-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah, today is the day. Happy for you, marymac. Can't wait to see this beauty. And those paw print fretmarkers are the my favorite.

guitharsis
02-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Can't wait to see the finished product! :)

marymac
02-25-2011, 09:52 AM
My new uke has arrived! Toni delivered it today - what an awesome person. We had great fun playing with my uke collection.

The cat uke is everything I hoped it would be. Beautiful hand-rubbed finish and the details all look so great. And the sound! Ringing tone, very melodious with the low G Fremont Blacklines. So tasty! I love the arched back and the inlaid kitty and paws are sublime. I'm a happy camper today. Happy strumming all!

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1198410487_KBC4M-M.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1198410488_Yib7g-M.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1198410493_gQKEs-M.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1198410530_tbbFT-M.jpg

marymac
02-25-2011, 09:52 AM
A few more photos:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1198410535_qbYGD-M.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1198410549_vGQpi-M.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1198410561_DK7Gu-M.jpg

DAPuke
02-25-2011, 09:59 AM
A few more photos: Meeeeeooooowww, that's Kat-tasitic!!!
DAP

janeray1940
02-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for posting those.

dkcrown
02-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Very nice. Will she get a name? Perhaps something with a feline theme?

marymac
02-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Very nice. Will she get a name? Perhaps something with a feline theme?

Hmm - I may have to come up with a name for this one. I haven't named my others but this one is the first one I was involved with from the beginning. Any suggestions?

guitharsis
02-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! Quite unique and personalized, as a custom should be. Congrats Mary (and Toni too)!

Tudorp
02-25-2011, 11:10 AM
That is really cool, especially being made by a woman in that trade. Even tho that sounds like a sexist statement, it isn't. I have had the pleasure over the years to work side by side with women in a craftsmen type of trade, generally dominated by men. And I have to be honest and say that the women I have had experience working with in a craftsman trade have always had impecible attention and focus of detail. Much more over than the average man. Don't get me wrong, there are awesome men craftsmen, and no disrespect to any man luthier, awesome craftsmanship and trade. But, I honestly believe a woman in a craft for the right reasons are unbeatable for their craftsmanship and attention to detail. It is what it is.

That said, congrats on your upcoming instrument. Enjoy it..

dkcrown
02-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Hmm - I may have to come up with a name for this one. I haven't named my others but this one is the first one I was involved with from the beginning. Any suggestions?

Hmmm. Two come to mind. Elsa, after the lioness in born free. Or how about Prrrrecious?

Tudorp
02-25-2011, 12:52 PM
How about something out of the Lion King.. ? Or I like my cat's name. My daughter came up with it when she was barely talking. The cat is almost as old as she is, and she named it way back then "Sagawa Skat Kat". It was a combination of some cat in a show she liked, and Skat Kat from the Aristocats. It just always stuck, and that's what we have always called out old cat.

marymac
02-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Hmmm. Two come to mind. Elsa, after the lioness in born free. Or how about Prrrrecious?

Ahhh, my prrrecious.....

ADD
02-25-2011, 02:51 PM
She's a real gem, has a lustrous pearlescence about her and will make sweet sounds when she is stroked. How about Purrl?

marymac
02-25-2011, 02:54 PM
She's a real gem, has a lustrous pearlescence about her and will make sweet sounds when she is stroked. How about Purrl?

Purrl - I like that. I'll ask her if she likes it too :)

marymac
02-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Purrl - I like that. I'll ask her if she likes it too :)

We discussed it and agreed on Purrly.

Gipserio
02-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Looks absolutely beautiful!

It's so exciting when a uke is being made for you, though it really puts your patience on trial. When Donna LoPrinzi (another woman luthier and what is more important and excellent luthier in my experience) was making my uke I just couldn't wait to have it in my hands.

marymac
02-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Looks absolutely beautiful!

It's so exciting when a uke is being made for you, though it really puts your patience on trial. When Donna LoPrinzi (another woman luthier and what is more important and excellent luthier in my experience) was making my uke I just couldn't wait to have it in my hands.

Fortunately I had many other ukes to keep me company while I was waiting for this one!

ADD
02-26-2011, 11:43 AM
We discussed it and agreed on Purrly.

Purrly looked mature and sophisticated, but obviously her true nature is much more playful. Sounds like it's the beginning of a life long relationship of respect, love and fun and making beautiful music together. So happy for you.

Great admiration here, too, for Toni in putting Purrly together so perfectly.

Hippie Dribble
02-26-2011, 12:13 PM
hi Mary

did Toni make two the same or something??? She's got one exactly like yours for sale on FMM marketplace as well...

Nuprin
02-26-2011, 01:08 PM
hi Mary

did Toni make two the same or something??? She's got one exactly like yours for sale on FMM marketplace as well...

Noticed that also...was really hoping you hadn't already tired of yours!!!

Susie A
03-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Noticed that also...was really hoping you hadn't already tired of yours!!!

Well, it's been sold now. Sure is a beautiful piece of work!

Ronnie Aloha
03-04-2011, 08:32 AM
I think she just posted it to show her work so that those interested in ordering a custom could see her craftsmanship. I'm sure it was Mary's that was on FMM and that it was posted as "sold" immediately after the upload of the photos. Great marketing tool, IMHO.

marymac
03-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I think she just posted it to show her work so that those interested in ordering a custom could see her craftsmanship. I'm sure it was Mary's that was on FMM and that it was posted as "sold" immediately after the upload of the photos. Great marketing tool, IMHO.

Yep - That was mine. Toni just wanted to show some of her (awesome) work to the FMMers. I already showed it off here! Definitely not tired of it yet :)

ukegirl13
03-20-2011, 06:27 AM

Hi everyone! Yes, that is Mary's "Cat" uke on FMM. I don't have a website up and runnning yet so it was just a way to show my work. This one turned out especially nice and wanted everyone to see. I do have a Facebook account: Anakonekes Ukuleles if you are interested. I only build them one or two at a time so I will be putting up some more on FMM in the near future. And they really will be for sale! ;)
Also, I have to give credit to Mary for her vision in what she wanted. She knew she wanted ebony binding, fretboard and peghead veneer with a nice Koa set, cat paw markers, a cat inlay, and somekind of cat shaped peghead. When you start you never really know how it's all going to come together but this one really turned out very classy looking! I especially liked the cats glowy green eyes. Thank you Mary for giving me the opportunity to create this uke for you. And thank you all for the nice compliments. They are very much appreciated!

Toni Maloon
Anakonekes Ukuleles

TCK
03-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi everyone! Yes, that is Mary's "Cat" uke on FMM. I don't have a website up and runnning yet so it was just a way to show my work. This one turned out especially nice and wanted everyone to see. I do have a Facebook account: Anakonekes Ukuleles if you are interested. I only build them one or two at a time so I will be putting up some more on FMM in the near future. And they really will be for sale! ;)
Also, I have to give credit to Mary for her vision in what she wanted. She knew she wanted ebony binding, fretboard and peghead veneer with a nice Koa set, cat paw markers, a cat inlay, and somekind of cat shaped peghead. When you start you never really know how it's all going to come together but this one really turned out very classy looking! I especially liked the cats glowy green eyes. Thank you Mary for giving me the opportunity to create this uke for you. And thank you all for the nice compliments. They are very much appreciated!

Toni Maloon
Anakonekes Ukuleles
More stunning creations Toni! I am going to take the liberty of embedding the Facebook link so more of us can see them when they are done- the Cymbidium Orchid is outrageous!
Anakonekes Ukuleles on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anakoneke-Handcrafted-Ukuleles/187801131231723?sk=wall)
Keep 'em coming ;)
Dave

Uke Republic
03-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Cool cat Miss Mac!

JT_Ukes
03-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Donna Loprinzi! http://www.augustinoloprinzi.com/ Awesome woman Luthier!

ukegirl13
03-20-2011, 10:53 AM
More stunning creations Toni! I am going to take the liberty of embedding the Facebook link so more of us can see them when they are done- the Cymbidium Orchid is outrageous!
Anakonekes Ukuleles on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anakoneke-Handcrafted-Ukuleles/187801131231723?sk=wall)
Keep 'em coming ;)
Dave

Thanks Dave for putting in the link. I appreciate it. I still have that Bloodwood one for you. ;) Right now I have a Zebrawood concert with fir top in the making and a cute little soprano with flowers inlaid around the soundhole. Hope to complete them fairly soon. I'll post as soon as I can. Loved the video you did for your friend by the way! Very charming!

dkcrown
03-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Very nice, Toni. Welcome to the forum. Beautiful ukes and a sexy photo as well!

TCK
03-20-2011, 08:04 PM
O lord don't tempt me (I heart the blood wood)- post that on the market place and it will gone before I can dream about it anymore :)
Can't wait to see (and hear- we gotta get you making videos) a fir top...
The video of the stuff I make? Pales in comparison, but thank you- I will continue the silliness :)
Anyway, welcome to the underground, glad you are hear and everyone can see these as they are finished- they are works of art.
13 in your handle- significant? Always been my lucky number (born on Friday the 13th) :)

ukegirl13
03-21-2011, 07:31 PM
O lord don't tempt me (I heart the blood wood)- post that on the market place and it will gone before I can dream about it anymore :)
Can't wait to see (and hear- we gotta get you making videos) a fir top...
The video of the stuff I make? Pales in comparison, but thank you- I will continue the silliness :)
Anyway, welcome to the underground, glad you are hear and everyone can see these as they are finished- they are works of art.
13 in your handle- significant? Always been my lucky number (born on Friday the 13th) :)

Ha ha, you're gooood. Yep, May 13, but born on Mothers Day. Every so often I get a Friday birthday. My lucky number also! My daughter Amy's birthday is on the 13th too, so we got the family thing going.

ukegirl13
03-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Very nice, Toni. Welcome to the forum. Beautiful ukes and a sexy photo as well!

Hi dk, thanks for the welcome. That actually is my daughter Amy in the profile pic. She needed a sexy vintage photo for some photo shoot and wanted to take it with one of my ukes. She started the FB album for me (kids these days know everything!) and put up her picture as the profile! I'm cute too.... ha ha... but not as young! ;) I'll change it as soon as I get a half-way decent pic.