New Anakoneke Uke I'm having built

marymac

Reaction score
Janeray asked me to post some of the photos I have of the new uke I'm having built. The luthier is Toni Maloon who makes Anakoneke ukes in San Francisco. SO I get to support a woman luthier (rare in my experience), and local one to boot.

I chose her after seeing some of the ukes she designed and built on FMM. Toni has been very fun to work with and this is a fun sort of project that we've both enjoyed working on. I had some specific ideas and Toni put them into practice. I call this the Koa Custom Concert Cat uke. If you're interested in working on a uke with Toni her email is ukegirl13@gmail.com.

Here are some of the photos Toni has sent me over the past month. The first ones are of attaching the enharmonic braces on the front and back soundboard, and of bending the side panels.

01-Curly Koa 001-smaller version.jpg

03-Mary's Uke 00-enharmonic braces sv.jpg

04-Mary's Cat Uke-sdes in bender.jpg

05-Mary's Cat Uke-sdes out.jpg

06-Mary's Cat Uke-sdes in mold.jpg

Last edited:
Photo set 6

Last photos I have for now showing how the neck will be attached to the body...

27 - Mary's Cat Uke neck-body connection-sv.jpg

28 - Mary's Uke neck connection-sv.jpg

When I get more photos I'll post them!

That wood is gorgeous. And how great is it that you found a woman luthier! It hadn't occurred to me but now that I think about it, I certainly can't name any others.

The process of seeing it come together is fascinating. Thanks for posting those!

That wood is gorgeous. And how great is it that you found a woman luthier! It hadn't occurred to me but now that I think about it, I certainly can't name any others.

The process of seeing it come together is fascinating. Thanks for posting those!

I think the photos in post 5 give the best idea of what it will look like. Black peghead with the white cat, kitty paws walking up the fretboard, and there will be a paw in the heel as well. She's doing a hand-rubbed finish on it so the wood should really stand out. I can't wait!

I think the photos in post 5 give the best idea of what it will look like. Black peghead with the white cat, kitty paws walking up the fretboard, and there will be a paw in the heel as well. She's doing a hand-rubbed finish on it so the wood should really stand out. I can't wait!

Oh, the fret markers - I *love* the kitty paws! I'm a cat person too :) Looking forward to seeing more as it progresses!

Do you have contact info that can be posted? i.e. Website, email, phone number, etc.

Congrats, Mary. It's just beautiful! Yes, great to be supporting a female luthier. Donna LoPrinzi is the only other female ukulele builder I know of. She's in Florida and works with her dad, Augustino.

Last edited:

It is looking great! As to the "woman luthier question", Char of Mya-Moe comes to mine as does Donna LoPrinzi.

My goodness- it is going to be gorgeous. Toni certainly builds some of the prettiest Ukes I have ever seen...She sent me some pictures of a Bloodwood one she did and I sigh every time I look at them, and put a few more dollars in my save up jar. Congratulations on it, and please make some sound files when you get it

Love it! "Cat uke" looks like its gonna jam pretty hard! great build thread btw

That is a great uke. I thought of Batman when I saw the headstock design. Love the paw prints.

Looks fantastic! I'm another lover of the paw prints.

The only time I've seen that before was gecko prints on a Takamine guitar!

Ah - excellent to hear that there are other women luthiers. I knew about Char and Donna once you mentioned them.

Aloha Mary,
Congratulations, It looks awesome...I like the cat inlay on the headstock..wow!! I'm a cat luvr too!! thanks for sharings...hope to see the finished pic's....keep us updated..I'm happy for you!! MM Stan
Toni sounds like a pleasure to do business with..as shows you the whole process....love her style!!!

Top Bottom