PDA

View Full Version : Snark tuner - review

bazmaz
02-05-2011, 02:43 AM
My short review of the snark - love it!

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2011/02/snark-ukulele-tuner-review.html

gnordenstam
02-05-2011, 02:53 AM
I purchased one recently too and I concur with your review. I also purchased your ebook for the Kindle - nicely done!
--G

bazmaz
02-05-2011, 03:04 AM
thank you!!

UkePhilly
02-05-2011, 03:23 AM
Even though my tuners work perfectly fine, that Snark looks really cool. Is it possible to also have TAS in addition to my UAS? ;)

Also bought your book and will be reading it on my upcoming flight.

misty
02-05-2011, 03:28 AM
I have a Cherub, and wonder I this is better.

bazmaz
02-05-2011, 03:56 AM
I also have a cherub - think this is infinitely better - it is so sensitive - it picks up the notes immediately.

janeray1940
02-05-2011, 04:44 AM
I bought one a couple months back simply because I thought it was cute (I like red, what can I say?). When I compared it to my Kala tuner I immediately noticed the Snark was far more sensitive. I ended up ordering one for each uke case.

Tip for the budget-minded: these come up on eBay (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=snark+sn2+tuner&_sacat=0&_odkw=snark+tuner&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313) pretty often for around $15, no tax and free shipping.

Ingrate
02-05-2011, 08:10 AM
I'm in total agreement! These are sensitive, easy-to-use tuners. I bought (and returned) a Peterson Stroboclip, since these Snarks appear to be as sensitive and accurate in my personal trials.

FYI, the cheaper blue ones are what I use. They lack the microphone, but tune any note that can be sensed via vibration. I bought the pair on eBay for $23.54 delivered, from "auctionassured". I'm not affiliated. It was a good deal w/o problems.

Snorky
02-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the tip :) Will be ordering two of these tonight!

Kukoolele
02-05-2011, 09:01 AM
I love my red Snark headstock tuner. Gotta have one for every case. Ebay is the place!

bottlegreen
02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Pauljmuk, you once noted we have the same Kala tuner. I'm pretty new, but I have often thought it was lacking a certain something. I'm glad to know my instincts were correct and there are better options. I've had my eye on a Snark for awhile, so I think I'll just go ahead and nab one. The Amazon prices seem to be around $15 as well, after adding shipping.
Thanks for your review... although your reviews tend to make me spend money! ;)

steelie211
02-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Love my red Snark tuner!!! One of the best purchases I have made for my Uke. Picked it up at Elderly Instruments when they were on sale. I think I paid around $12 US. Thanks for the great review.

bazmaz
02-05-2011, 11:38 AM
thanks all - great comments. I did think that clip ons in this price range were all similar, they are not!

Snorky
02-10-2011, 12:40 PM
My Snark tuner arrived today and i have to say i really love it! Thanks pauljmuk once again for the recommendation!

ukucuckoo
05-10-2012, 05:25 AM
I jumped into the deep end when I finally tried a Snark tuner and purchased many; one for each case, one for the practice area, and a pair to wear as earrings. Okay, not the earrings, but the tuner was indeed more sensitive than all of my other clip-on tuners, the price was great, and all was good . . . until they started aging. They are now over a year old, and even when I replace the battery with a new-out-of-the-package battery, the light dims over time and most of them have gone to black. So I'm falling back on my abandoned "other brand" tuners, and hesitate to purchase any more Snarks. Has anyone out there had this experience?

Barbablanca
05-10-2012, 05:33 AM
The Snark is truly amazing. I use one to tune my ridiculous collection of assorted instruments. Unlike the other tuners I have tried, it accurately tunes everything from the tinny top end of a Cavaquinho down to the heavy thump of a fretless bass guitar. Thoroughly recommended!

specialk13
05-10-2012, 05:43 AM
I would agree with ukucuckoo, my Snark tuners have all been great when new but then took a downward turn after about a year. Hopefully, the design can and will be improved......

Meerkatdawg
05-10-2012, 06:07 AM
Bazmaz...Found your ebook on iBooks from the posts in this thread. Really enjoying it in the 10 minutes I've been reading. Class.

hammer40
05-10-2012, 06:50 AM
I bought the Snark as well. I went for the new black version SN-8, a little redesign and supposedly faster and more sensitive. I'm sure it's really no different, I just liked the black color and it even came with some free picks. http://www.amazon.com/Snark-instruments-Tighter-Brighter-Faster/dp/B0073XCXHA/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_b

cheekmeat
05-10-2012, 07:30 AM
I agree about the functionality of the Snarks. They work great! One of the best tuner's I've used. Except...The design, while pleasing to my eyes, is a little on the fragile side. I have had the clip portion get crushed and a friend had one of the teeth of the socket portion of the ball-and-socket connection break. We were able to combine our pieces into one new one.
People more careful than we might be ok. And also I've seen them on special at Elderly for $10 bucks, so that all should be taken into account. I'm just not sure they're "road-worthy".

uke42
05-10-2012, 09:25 AM
I have a Snark SN-6 Ukulele Tuner and it works great. Very sensitive and accurate and the battery lasts forever. Still on the original battery and I think I've had it over a year. But my newest tuner purchase was another Planet Waves Mini Headstock Tuner because they are so small that I can just leave them on my uke (http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-PW-CT-12-Headstock-Tuner/dp/B005FKF1PY).

blue_knight_usa
05-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I have a Red, Blue and Black one...SNARK all the way!
Cheers,

bazmaz
05-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Bazmaz...Found your ebook on iBooks from the posts in this thread. Really enjoying it in the 10 minutes I've been reading. Class.

Thank you!!

Chris Tarman
05-11-2012, 05:07 AM
I just picked up a Snark in Denver last week. I LOVE it. It's way better than my Kala, and I was actually quite happy with the Kala! Mine doesn't have the buttons on the back, but it was less expensive than that model.

ukucuckoo
05-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Alas, I was hoping for a cure for my beloved Snark family's dimmed display! From most of your replies, your Snarks continue working beautifully (sigh) while I have at least 4 dark-screened beauties waiting for me to rescue them. Uke42, thanks for the link to Planet Wave's Mini Tuner. It's even smaller than the Planet Waves Headstock Tuner I bought last year, and I thought that was teeny! Love the Mini's even lower profile on the instrument....

Howie1947
05-14-2012, 02:51 AM
I bought the Red one and like it, could someone explain the difference with respect the the "Vib" and "Mic" options on top of it. Not sure what that is all about. Howie

Chris Tarman
05-14-2012, 03:05 AM
I bought the Red one and like it, could someone explain the difference with respect the the "Vib" and "Mic" options on top of it. Not sure what that is all about. Howie

Mine doesn't have that, but I would guess that they're vibration and microphone settings. Try using the "Mic" setting without the tuner attached to the headstock. It should pick up the note from a built-in mic.

Nickie
05-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the review. I don't own one, but lots of people in my club are getting them. They seem to love them.

JoelC92
05-27-2012, 10:54 PM
I have recently bought a Snark Sn-6 tuner and it works perfectly and is very easy to use. Great tuner, cheap too!

The Big Kahuna
05-28-2012, 04:11 AM
I bought an SN-8 a couple of weeks ago with my first Ukes and I've just been out & bought an SN-2 from a local store. Do NOT buy an SN-8, they're less accurate, the SN-2 is way better and the same price.

guitharsis
05-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Another vote for the Snark SN-6 Ukulele Tuner. Got two of them today (at only $9.84 each from Amazon). They're great!

Dwjkerr
08-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Snarks are nice tuners aren't they. I have the black ukulele tuner and my question is how do I know I'm reading it accurately. I believe that the string is tuned if the green pointer is lit up. If if I tune the G string and a couple yellow bars appear and the meter say "G" and not "G#" am I still playing a "G" instead of a "G#?"

Or am I playing a "G#" even though the tuner is showing a "G."

MisterRios
08-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Snarks are nice tuners aren't they. I have the black ukulele tuner and my question is how do I know I'm reading it accurately. I believe that the string is tuned if the green pointer is lit up. If if I tune the G string and a couple yellow bars appear and the meter say "G" and not "G#" am I still playing a "G" instead of a "G#?"

Or am I playing a "G#" even though the tuner is showing a "G."

When the string is tuned, the green pointer is lit up. When you have a few yellow bars, then you are playing an out of tune version of whatever note is on the display. So you wouldn't be playing a G in your case, but an out of tune version of G. If the tuner is showing a G# and it is not at green, then you'd be playing an out of tune G#. Stick to the green, and you'll sound great.

Gwynedd
08-10-2012, 02:23 AM
My "holy trinity" of things for a new uke players: The Snark (red one all the way) (http://amzn.to/HWEFyF), Barry Maz's new Complete Book 1 and 2 volume (http://amzn.to/MvyxAQ) and Southcoast strings (http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm). You'll have a tuned, well-strung ukulele and you'll know all kinds of things about the uke itself, and some basic theory too. I'd add in the Southcoast Bone Beads (helps with stringing and restringing, look cool) but then the number would Not Be Three (and four is right out!--Monty Python's Holy Grail.)

MisterRios
08-10-2012, 02:43 AM
I bought an SN-8 a couple of weeks ago with my first Ukes and I've just been out & bought an SN-2 from a local store. Do NOT buy an SN-8, they're less accurate, the SN-2 is way better and the same price.

I thought the SN-8 was supposed to be "super tight".

The Big Kahuna
08-10-2012, 02:49 AM
It's "faster" because the graduations are twice the size of the other Snark tuners, hence not as accurate.

bazmaz
08-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Thanks!!
(and I use the red snark too. Wife has the black one - honestly can't tell the difference between them accuracy wise, but the red has a microphone input as well as the standard vibration sensor)

My "holy trinity" of things for a new uke players: The Snark (red one all the way) (http://amzn.to/HWEFyF), Barry Maz's new Complete Book 1 and 2 volume (http://amzn.to/MvyxAQ) and Southcoast strings (http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm). You'll have a tuned, well-strung ukulele and you'll know all kinds of things about the uke itself, and some basic theory too. I'd add in the Southcoast Bone Beads (helps with stringing and restringing, look cool) but then the number would Not Be Three (and four is right out!--Monty Python's Holy Grail.)

MisterRios
08-10-2012, 02:56 AM
It's "faster" because the graduations are twice the size of the other Snark tuners, hence not as accurate.

What a load of... (Why Snark, why?)

I was going to make this my third tuner (three ukes, three tuners), but I guess I'll go for a third Red Snark.

The Big Kahuna
08-10-2012, 03:12 AM
Wife has the black one - honestly can't tell the difference between them accuracy wise

Bear in mind Baz, the fact that it's black doesn't mean it's an SN-8. There are other Black Snarks with the same (3 cent ?) graduations as the SN-2. AFAIK, it's only the SN-8 that has what I think are 5 cent graduations.

23skidoo
08-10-2012, 03:49 AM
I love the Snark tuner, but it's a battery hog. Doesn't seem to have an 'auto-off' function like other tuners I've owned - if you forget to turn it off a time or two (as my 8 year old is wont to do), you end up with a dead tuner..... otherwise, the nicest budget tuner I've owned. It works so well, I just bought a handful of batteries and keep them in my case......

frets alot
08-10-2012, 04:04 AM
I tried the super tight sn8 at Elderlys. Didn't care for it. I love the red snark, because it's chromatic and has the mic feature, which I use quite a bit. I broke the arm on one of my red snark's, so that is now dedicated to my lap dulcimer. I just lay it on the top of the dulcimer to tune. Again, I can use vib or mic to tune it. I think the snarks are the greatest thing since sliced bread.