Looking for a new uke

lmfsuu

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been playing my Kala KA-S soprano uke for about 9 months now and it's time for an upgrade. When I say upgrade, I mean upgrade. I'm looking to get a solid wood concert, preferably koa. I've done a lot of research online, but I don't have an opportunity to play any of the ukes in person :(
I've heard almost no good things about friction tuners, but I have never used them myself. I would prefer to avoid them, but most of the "k" ukuleles that I have found have friction tuners.
I obviously would prefer to spend 200-300, but I'll shell out 400-500 if that's what it takes to get a quality instrument with good intonation (a notorious problem for my kala) that will last for years.
I'm not so much concerned with looks; my focus is on how it plays and how it sounds. After all, you don't sit down and look at your ukulele...you play it!
Here is a list of the contenders I've found:
koa pila koko solid acacia concert with gigbag - $200
mainland solid mahogany concert - $220 (case an extra 40)
lanikai solid zebrawood concert with hard case - $269
oscar schmidt solid mahogany concert with hard case - $273
mainland solid red cedar top, solid rosewood body - $260
kelii solid koa concert with hard case - $429 (sold by MGM)
mele solid koa concert with hard case - $479
New kamaka, koaloha & kanilea's are really expensive. I'm not sure (but could probably be persuaded!) that they are worth the extra dough.
Every now and then a used kamaka, koaloha or kanilea pops up on ebay, but most of them have friction tuners and cost more than the other options listed so...
Please feel free to comment on any of the listed ukes or other models that I've not listed. Thanks!

Firstly - your comment re friction tuners - I would not be put off - on cheap ukes they can be nasty, but on a higher end uke they are usually very well made and work fine. I have several and have no issues with them. It certainly shouldnt put you off something as sublime as a K brand uke, though that said, with your budget, you will struggle to get one at that price.

Of the ukes in your list I (personally) would strip out the Lanikai and the Oscar Schmidt. The others though are nice ukes. I would personally save some money and go for the Mainland, but I am biased. They are impeccably made.

The K brands are staggeringly nice on tone and volume, plus you are getting something totally hand made. Not all of them have friction tuners btw, but please - dont let frictions put you off.

It's always fun when you want to upgrade. Based on your list I have a couple thoughts as I heard many of the same responses when I inquired about one of my upgrades.
mainland solid mahogany concert - $220 (case an extra 40) - I've heard EVERYONE say they love theirs. Never played it but lots of people on here love them.
mainland solid red cedar top, solid rosewood body - $260 - Same as above
kelii solid koa concert with hard case - $429 (sold by MGM) - you can't beat the set up that comes from MGM. He's worth it. I think this is a great uke - almost bought one myself.
mele solid koa concert with hard case - $479 - think you might be able to find this one cheaper on their site. I think they are now at $399 + $50 for case.
And as far as a K brand....I doubt you can beat it. So if you want to spend the extra money I hardly think you will be disappointed. I have my first Kamaka coming next week and I couldn't be more excited.

JUst wanted to say I thought the going price for a Concert KPK is $165.00........and I like them...MM Stan

Gosh, there are so many makers I get confused.
If I were shopping, I wouldn't discount the Luna Hi Tide Concert with a preamp. I think it's around $300 at Sam Ash Music. It feels wonderful, and sounds great.

I agree with Pauljmuk, no need to stay away from friction tuners. I have a theory about the hatred of friction tuners. I think a lot of us who come out of having played guitar first (myself included) have an unconscious expectation that tuners "should" work the way geared tuners work. Thus, when using friction tuners, which tend to require a softer touch, some feel like friction tuners don't work well. As Paul said, good friction tuners work great and IMHO, they look much more traditional and much less "guitar like".

That being said.....if you want geared tuners on your uke....get them, it is your uke, for your enjoyment. However, they weigh more and I HATE geared tuners on a soprano. In fact, my favorite tuners are wood peg tuners, but I am a weirdo!

Of your choices, I would go with a Mainland. Every one I have picked up is really a quality instrument. If you can save more money, I would go for a "K" brand uke. I am never disappointed when I pick up my KoAloha.....just a wonderful instrument. Kamaka is also wonderful, of course......

I agree with Pauljmuk, no need to stay away from friction tuners. I have a theory about the hatred of friction tuners. I think a lot of us who come out of having played guitar first (myself included) have an unconscious expectation that tuners "should" work the way geared tuners work. Thus, when using friction tuners, which tend to require a softer touch, some feel like friction tuners don't work well. As Paul said, good friction tuners work great and IMHO, they look much more traditional and much less "guitar like".

That being said.....if you want geared tuners on your uke....get them, it is your uke, for your enjoyment. However, they weigh more and I HATE geared tuners on a soprano. In fact, my favorite tuners are wood peg tuners, but I am a weirdo!

Of your choices, I would go with a Mainland. Every one I have picked up is really a quality instrument. If you can save more money, I would go for a "K" brand uke. I am never disappointed when I pick up my KoAloha.....just a wonderful instrument. Kamaka is also wonderful, of course......

+1 on Ryan's comment on friction tuners. As a newb I screamed about them, and on a soprano or concert, I would not even consider geared tuners now, weight, looks and difficulty with cases are the reasons.

To your list i would highly and heartily recommend that you add Ohana: the 35 or 25 is a great value and a wonderful uke. The new SK78 looks great as well. All are in the $200 ish range. I have Martin uke strings on my SK35, and it's a great player.

Top Bottom